Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Glad to hear that. Mcconaughey has been on a roll lately. Dropping dimes everywhere, even dropping dimes on his teddy bear.

Looking forward to it

That movie has been getting killed, but im actually wondering hiw much of it is legitimate, since movies like that tend to get a ton of eye rolling regardless, and unless they are complete masterpieces, tend to get hammered.

• Like 1

Independence Day: Resurgence: C-

Very disappointing. The movie was missing the charm and suspense that made the first one enjoyable. The acting, with the exception of the President's daughter, was poor. Goldblum and the rest of the cast mailed it in. The writing and direction was just bad. You'd think, like the first one, there would be an undertone of seriousness with the fate of the planet at stake, but everybody was too busy cracking jokes as millions of people were dying. The script felt really rushed, and unpolished. The only saving grace was that the final 30 minutes or so was a pretty cool action sequence, which is the only reason the grade isn't a D. Obviously, the FX were top notch, but really the movie wasn't even up to the standards of normal summer popcorn flicks.

The first ID is completely terrible as well.

While I don't disagree with you, that's still blasphemy.

what....got a problem with Goldblum's laptop being compatible with an alien ship? ;)

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

What We Do In The Shadows:  A-

Vampire mockumentary made by/starring Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords and another guy.  Pretty great take on the mockumentary genre.  Dragged a little here and there but overall really good.

While I don't disagree with you, that's still blasphemy.

what....got a problem with Goldblum's laptop being compatible with an alien ship? ;)

Yeah, the first one was still a really entertaining movie, despite the aliens not using Norton antivirus. The second one just was almost a complete miss. It seemed like the kind of movie that was stuck in development hell, with way too many creative voices. No cohesiveness at all.

• Like 1

Nobody thinks Independence Day was an artsy pinnacle of cinema but it was damn fun and very entertaining despite all its popcorn ridiculous flaws.

Maybe because I grew up with that movie, it further blasted Will Smith into the stratosphere, it had a **** ton of memorable moments and lines for a kid and a host of other reasons, it sticks With me more.

I still love it.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

12 Cloverfield Ln

It was a giant ball of OK. Nothing that was incredibly mind blowing. John Goodman was great as always but there wasn't much more to the movie than that. I was looking for a twist, a shock, and it didn't deliver. Built up for an hour and a half for something entirely predictable.

• Like 1

While some of you have been lamenting your time watching the new ID movie, I just finished up the Godfather a bit ago.  A+, nothing more needs to be said.  If you've got an Apple TV, they have it for 8 bucks.  It's been forever since I've seen it, what an amazing film.

When We Were Kings.  As a tribute to Ali, our local art house ran this 1996 documentary for a week.  It focuses on the build up to the fight between Ali and George Foreman in Zaire, Africa.

Ali is simply incredible to watch.  The footage of him is amazing.  It's easy to see how he became so much for so many.

One of my favorite sports docs.  I highly recommend it.

Where'd you find it?  I had the DVD awhile ago, I can't find it.  

• Like 2

All of the above. There's no character engagement, the events are stupid, it's just bad. Everything that was fun about the first one is missing in this one.

The guy they got to play Will Smith's kid has got to be THE worst actor I've seen in a minute. I cringed every time he had to deliver a line. He was absolutely brutal in this.

No it wasn't

It was a wonderful film. Edited by justice98
  • Like 2

12 Cloverfield Ln

It was a giant ball of OK. Nothing that was incredibly mind blowing. John Goodman was great as always but there wasn't much more to the movie than that. I was looking for a twist, a shock, and it didn't deliver. Built up for an hour and a half for something entirely predictable.

I don't think it was predictable. They did a great job not letting on entirely to what was going on above the shelter. It was all to get to the moment where she has her breakthrough tho and finally stops running, instead choosing to face her fears, battles etc head on. She was very good in it too in addition to Goodman.

Edit: on second thought, the movie I'm talking about was 10 Cloverfield Lane. I'm not sure what was going on next door at 12 Cloverfield Lane...

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

I mean IMDB of all places even has it at a very near 7.0, which is really good.

It does exactly what you expect and want it to. Fun action packed not thinking too hard movie with some drama and suspense mixed in there.

Sure there are dumb lines (plow the road!/up yours!), crazy conveniences (V. fox just happens to find the president's wife in all of La, then Will smith finds them both) and ridiculous occurrences (dog outruns explosive blast) but who cares lol it's awesome!

I don't think it was predictable. They did a great job not letting on entirely to what was going on above the shelter. It was all to get to the moment where she has her breakthrough tho and finally stops running, instead choosing to face her fears, battles etc head on. She was very good in it too in addition to Goodman.

Edit: on second thought, the movie I'm talking about was 10 Cloverfield Lane. I'm not sure what was going on next door at 12 Cloverfield Lane...

Haha! It was so, just plain, that I forgot the address.

• Like 1

Where'd you find it?  I had the DVD awhile ago, I can't find it.  

A new art house movie place just opened in Asheville, and they screened it as a tribute to Ali.  It only ran for a few days.

They're showing Close Encounters of the Third kind this week.  The Graduate next week.  It's like a film nerd's wet dream. :)

• Like 2

Yeah, the first one was still a really entertaining movie, despite the aliens not using Norton antivirus.

Probably Alien Apple Fan boys that felt they were superior and didn't need it.  Oh snap, wrong thread???      : D

Edited by Renegade7

The Fundamentals of Caring. Netflix is going HARD with the originals lately, this was a solid movie.

There was nothing special about the story or its characters. Just a typical indie dramedy. But the performances turned out by Rudd, Roberts, and Selena Gomez (surprisingly) were strong.

There's just something about Rudd, he's my #1 favorite comedic actor and he has been for a while. While he plays variations of himself most of the time, I believe Rudd's characters. Paul has a charm about him, comes across as an everyday nice guy that I always end up rooting for. He's just easy to like.

Craig Roberts is new to me, but he was good.

I know who Selena Gomez is, but I've literally never seen her in anything before. My expectations were low for her, and I'm happy to admit I was wrong. She was funny in her role.

This was a nice Saturday afternoon flick, highly recommend. Though you should be watching anything with Paul Rudd ;)

B+.

The_Fundamentals_of_Caring-884588505-lar

selena-gomez-sundance-fundamentals-of-ca

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

Just saw "The Legend of Tarzan".  Critics as usual hated it but the audiences seem to like it.  I'll give it a B.  The actor they cast as Tarzan was wooden but Margot Robbie more than made up for it.  Samuel Jackson was basically himself and love Christopher Waltz as a villian.

• Like 1