Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Part of it is, I tend to not see all these cult classic comedies until way after they've been out, so at my age, I guess what I thought was funny ten, twenty years ago, isn't as funny.

A lot of people love the movie, The Big Lebowski. I thought it was ok, nothing to write home about. But I just watched it two years ago, 15+ years after it came out.

Superbad was 2007, almost ten years ago.

Part of it is, I tend to not see all these cult classic comedies until way after they've been out, so at my age, I guess what I thought was funny ten, twenty years ago, isn't as funny.

A lot of people love the movie, The Big Lebowski. I thought it was ok, nothing to write home about. But I just watched it two years ago, 15+ years after it came out.

Superbad was 2007, almost ten years ago.

Yeah, waiting that long completely removes a cult films' unique and/or subversive impact. Big Lebowski and Pulp Fiction are examples, with their deconstruction of plot and narrative being quite powerful at the time.

Superbad was very quotable at the time, but didn't bring anything new - just another story of kids trying to get alcohol and party.

10 Cloverfield Lane.  I liked it, but I just didn't think the direction the ending took was necessary or enjoyable.  Maybe they felt they couldn't market it without the tie-in, but thought it would've been much better standing on it's own.

John Goodman stole the film.  All the pieces were there to make the last 30 minutes an awesome/creepy/intense cat and mouse game, but they tossed it all away.  The overuse of music was striking at times, but seems to be the norm in most films now.  I wish producers would trust their stories more instead of trying to invoke a false feeling if heightened danger or conflict by cramming a score into every scene possible.  

• Like 1

10 Cloverfield Lane. Loved it.

I appreciated the direction it took in the end because I felt duped by my own sense of incredulity. That's a rare trick in my experience. The movie tells you on more than one occasion what's transpired out in the world, but the mundane nature of both the setting and threats lead me down a different predictive thought process. The many twists and tense moments between Goodman, Winstead, and that other guy pushed the word Cloverfield out of my mind. When we are finally shown the true nature of the calamity outside I couldn't help but laugh out loud at my own foolishness.

It's rare to see a well made film willingly throw itself off the rails and go tumbling into a different genre so abruptly. Bone Tomahawk did something like that, but it didn't mislead me while parading the truth in plain sight. Whatever the Cloverfield big picture is, and how it all ties together, eludes me but so far it's entertained me twice in dramatically different ways.

• Like 2

Excellent perspective there Destino.

I'd also refer to the article Chew posted above regarding the completion of her character arc and why the necessity for that level danger.

i wish the alien design had been better though, probably my only gripe. It just seemed confusing and unnecessarily weird. Something a bit more conventional might have worked better IMO

• Like 1

Excellent perspective there Destino.

I'd also refer to the article Chew posted above regarding the completion of her character arc and why the necessity for that level danger.

i wish the alien design had been better though, probably my only gripe. It just seemed confusing and unnecessarily weird. Something a bit more conventional might have worked better IMO

I think alien design is inherently difficult because there is no real way to win. If it pleases the audience it's likely very human-like, as Star Trek and Star Wars do it, or it plays on very human fears like the Aliens franchise which uses giant face raping space bugs. Problem is that aliens wouldn't really have anything to do with humans, and that's on physical appearance and behavior alone. Also, their technology need not seem realistic or understandable to us anymore than a iPad would be to ancient man. imagining something beyond humanity that doesn't make the audience grumble can't be easy.

I do agree that these particular aliens, or at least their junk yard dog equivalent which seems to be what we saw running through the cornfields, failed to impress. Though if the monster in the first Cloverfield is related, the theme is that these particular invaders use marauding animals of various sizes as weapons. Combined with the gas both seem like an odd choice for a spacefaring race, being that neither would be of any use in space. It would be like man charging off into the unknown with a ship full of tigers and mustard gas.

On the bright side they didn't give us aliens that managed to come all this way only to march around naked hoping to avoid rain and garden hoses, like another movie I remember.

• Like 2

Crimson Peak

In the aftermath of a family tragedy, an aspiring author is torn between love for her childhood friend and the temptation of a mysterious outsider. Trying to escape the ghosts of her past, she is swept away to a house that breathes, bleeds - and remembers.

This movie... I have mixed feelings. I was really hyped for this movie. I was excited about the cast, Jessica Chastain, Tom Hiddleston and Chzrlie Hunnam. It was advertised as a horror/ghost movie and Stephen King after an advanced screening said it was "****ing terrifying" so hype to the max obviously .

The movie is not scary at all. It's not really even creepy. I think there was one jump scare. So that was supremely Disappointing. Of course there is more there than the meets the eye, the main character is even writing a novel and comments that her story "isn't a ghost story but a story with a ghost in it. The ghosts are a metaphor for the past" which is this exact story in the movie.

I did enjoy the movie a lot though because it basically ended up just being a gothic romance story. It's well acted, I really liked Chastain

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

Ant-Man.  It was okay, I enjoyed it.  Felt like they tried to force Paul Rudd to be "Paul Rudd" in a few scenes, but it felt kinda forced and didn't really work.  Rudd is one of my favorite comedy guys, and I enjoyed him in this movie, but some of his one-liners missed.  But I blame the writers, not Paul.  Some good action, love Michael Pena, and it was good to see Michael Douglas.  Not feeling Evangeline Lily with dark hair at all.  I liked the post-credit scenes.  

Dead Pool was strong af.  Really good movie.  Nudity, graphic language and violence.  Waaaaay more my speed than all the PG-13 crap.   B)

Wild with reese Witherspoon was good too.  Arguably the best performance of her career, IMO.  Solid flick. She showed her tits a lot.

• Like 1

Saw a few recently

Ted 2

Newlywed couple Ted and Tami-Lynn want to have a baby, but in order to qualify to be a parent, Ted will have to prove he's a person in a court of law.

About what you'd expect. Some funny some stupid. Had a few hard laughs for me. Particularly loved the Plains Trains and Automobiles John Candy recreation. And the Gollum references were pretty good.

The Hateful Eight

In the dead of a Wyoming winter, a bounty hunter and his prisoner find shelter in a cabin currently inhabited by a collection of nefarious characters.

Awesome movie. Standard Tarantino fare though not in his top 4 IMO. This one is essentially Reservoir Dogs in the West. It's a slow burn for that payoff but it's worth it because it was well acted and engaging thoughout. I liked the premise and unraveling the mystery. This was fun.

The Danish Girl

A fictitious love story loosely inspired by the lives of Danish artists Lili Elbe and Gerda Wegener. Lili and Gerda's marriage and work evolve as they navigate Lili's groundbreaking journey as a transgender pioneer.

Great movie. I admit this one won't be for everybody. It's slow and a bit different but it sucked me in right away. I felt how I felt watching Brokeback Mountain, it just carried that same tragic vibe throughout. Alicia Vikander owns the movie, her Oscar was very well deserved. She's definitely making a strong name for herself after her performance in this and Ex Machina. The movie does a good job sympathizing with both characters and showing the perspectives of the wife Gerda and the husband Einar in this unique situation where he identifies as a woman and begins to go down the transgender path. It's a personal story and doesn't really show the societal impact of the times or have much of statement on that in The same way that BM did but it's not hard to connect the dots since this is a fairly topical issue.

Legend

The film tells the story of the identical twin gangsters Reggie and Ronnie Kray, two of the most notorious criminals in British history, and their organised crime empire in the East End of London during the 1960s.

Not a great movie but it was good. Tom Hardy is great as always and worth the watch by himself, playing both brothers. I'm always down for a gangster movie too. Ellen Browning was very good as well and was the heart of the movie. I liked the dynamics between her and Reggie. Like I said, worth a watch. My main complaint is Hardys accent was hard to hear at times and I had to cut the subtitles on for a few scenes.ive read that it was very authentic to that area though so I'll have to make a note to turn the subtitles on if I ever visit the East end of London Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

MIDNIGHT-SPECIAL-QUAD.jpg

The government and a group of religious extremists pursue a man (Michael Shannon) and his son, a young boy who possesses special powers.

Had to drive 2 hours to find a theater that was playing this so just made a day in Richmond. It was worth it.

A mysterious, beautiful movie about a parents love for and protection of their child. Very well acted by Shannon who has reached "must see" status as an actor for me. Edgerton and Dunst are quite strong as well.

I appreciate that the movie doesn't give all the answers. It tells enough to strike the right chords and then it leaves a lot to reflect on, which reminds me a lot of director Nichols' and Shannon's other classic for me, Take Shelter. There is a lot beneath the surface here, far beyond the straight forward father/son on the run story. The movie focuses on that more personal story and leavs us to ponder some of the bigger implications that are revealed toward the end. And that end shot...

I don't think it completely sticks the landing, it falls just short in my opinion of that full emotional payoff but it's still great and I loved it.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

The Hateful Eight

Awesome movie. Standard Tarantino fare though not in his top 4 IMO. This one is essentially Reservoir Dogs in the West. It's a slow burn for that payoff but it's worth it because it was well acted and engaging thoughout. I liked the premise and unraveling the mystery. This was fun.

Wow, I thought the Hateful Eight was Tarantino's worst film.  His use of the N word in Django worked.  In Hateful Eight it almost seemed like Donald Trump clowning voters in America.  Long boring film, Tarantino was lazy on this one.

Wow, I thought the Hateful Eight was Tarantino's worst film. His use of the N word in Django worked. In Hateful Eight it almost seemed like Donald Trump clowning voters in America. Long boring film, Tarantino was lazy on this one.

Id have to think more about where I'd rank it among his movies. I enjoyed it though and didn't really notice the n-word sticking out as much as it did in Django. It wasn't nearly as exciting as his more popular stuff but I did like the story it told.

Id have to think more about where I'd rank it among his movies. I enjoyed it though and didn't really notice the n-word sticking out as much as it did in Django. It wasn't nearly as exciting as his more popular stuff but I did like the story it told.

LOL it was only like 60 some times vs 100 or so times in Django.  It just seemed more of a lazy usage.  The characters developed in Hateful Eight were lazy and the use of the N word was lazy.  Django was far superior.

3 hours in a shack in a blizzard was boring as ****.  Probably the only QT film I would never watch again.

LOL it was only like 60 some times vs 100 or so times in Django. It just seemed more of a lazy usage. The characters developed in Hateful Eight were lazy and the use of the N word was lazy. Django was far superior.

3 hours in a shack in a blizzard was boring as ****. Probably the only QT film I would never watch again.

I can definitely see why people would think it was boring but I liked the slower buildup until the mayhem started.

Django is far superior in every way, no doubt about that.

Spectre. Whenever they move on from Daniel Craig, they need to restore an element of fun to these movies. They've gone too far in the opposite direction following the cheese and camp that was what the Pierce Brosnan ones turned into. But there's a healthy middle ground somewhere.