Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Zoolander 2:

Spoiler - it sucks.

Actually, i expected it to suck and more just enjoyed date night with the wife (it was her turn to pick the movie)

but it DID have it's moments... a few good chuckles.

Notably the centaur and Susan Sarandon's cameo.

She sings a line from her 't-t-t-t-touch me" song from Rocky Horror Picture show, and i was the only one who laughed. Pretty sure i was the oldest person in the theater.

~Bang

Is there anything that sets this particular one apart from the numerous other movies of the story?

It's OK. It tells it from a different perspective about the Roman Soldier who was ordered to ensure Jesus was dead. It follows his journey to find the truth about the resurrection. 

• Like 1

Just watched the big short. #2 of 8 of the best picture nominees. **** man. I can't sleep I'm so angry at Big Banks and the Catholic Church.

Every once in a while, my sense of wonder at the power of movies to tell the important stories of our lives is rekindled.

That said, please tell me that one of these movies is a happy one. Really hoping the Martian is uplifting.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I saw the Big Short, the story is about four guys predicting and betting on the collapse of the mortgage/subprimes system.

The director did a great job putting the movie in pause mode a few times to explain the financial terms (subprimes, CDO, synthetic CDO, etc....), so the audience doesn't get lost.

Gossling and Bale are very good in this movie. Bale is playing an autistic financial math genius who has troubles interacting with others, worth the Oscar IMO.

Edited by FrFan

Just watched the big short. #2 of 8 of the best picture nominees. **** man. I can't sleep I'm so angry at Big Banks and the Catholic Church.

Every once in a while, my sense of wonder at the power of movies to tell the important stories of our lives is rekindled.

That said, please tell me that one of these movies is a happy one. Really hoping the Martian is uplifting.

The Martian is fun and uplifting but it has its moments too

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

I've seen almost all of the Oscar nominated movies:

The Big Short - really good, great acting: A-

The Revenant - also really good and some very good acting, deserves best Director win imo: A-

Bridge of Spies - good and entertaining, Hanks is Hanks (as expected)...probably not worthy of Best Picture win, though (does have a bit of an uplifing feel at the end): B+

Mad Max - very entertaining and great cinematography; Charlize Theron is the best part of the movie, best acting (Max is barely a character in the film lol)...not worthy of winning Best Picture, though, imo: B

Room - Brie Larson is VERY good, movie is rather tense in parts...good flick overall. Not worthy of the win, though: B

Brooklyn - haven't seen it yet

The Martian - Entertaining but Damon is the only good performance in the film; too many flaws to be worth Best Picture win (I 'splained why above): B-

Spotlight - haven't seen it yet

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1

I've seen almost all of the Oscar nominated movies:

Mad Max - very entertaining and great cinematography; Charlize Theron is the best part of the movie, best acting (Max is barely a character in the film lol)...not worthy of winning Best Picture, though, imo: B

She's the best part of ANY movie What are you telling me here? lol. 

Watched Bridge of Spies. Strong movie. Excellent performance from Hanks, as always. Didn't realize the Cohen brothers helped write the script. The film explored a lot of interesting ideas. One of the best: how Americans have been quick to abandon our constitution and ideals and embrace unprincipled jingoism during times of conflict and difficulty. That feels really salient today during a time of ugly Islamaphobia and nativism.

I love the stately movies that Hanks makes nowadays. Gotta cherish his new work while it lasts because pretty soon he's going to be considered relics of a past age in film, like Spencer Tracey and Jimmy Stewart.

So that's three of the Best Picture nominees down... I'm not going to get to all of them.

Spotlight was the best of the three so far.

Mad Max Fury Road is an atavistic, lunatic masterpiece. I absolutely loved it. One of the most exciting and absurd movies ever made. It was the best of the Oscar nominees I've seen so far, and I have a hard time believing any of the other ones are going to top it.

You obviously haven't seen San Andreas.

• Like 1

Just saw a movie called The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across The 8th Dimension. It's about a Neurosurgeon/Physicist/Rockstar/Martial Artist/Action Hero who saves the world from aliens that escaped their 8th dimension prison. Pretty solid cast of names in it, too, with Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd, Jeff Goldblum, Clancy Brown, and I even spotted Johnathan Banks (Mike Ehrmantraut from Breaking Bad) and Yakov Smirnoff.

This movie just sells itself, doesn't it?

• Like 5

I watched "Room" today.  Thought it was really good.  Little kid did an amazing job.  

I didn't really think Mad Max was THAT great.  I mean, it was a visual masterpiece but I had a hard time giving a **** about any of the characters.  Max wasn't even the focal point of the film of me, it was Charlize Theron's character and her girls that mattered.  

I'll watch it. There are certain actors whose movies I will watch no questions asked: Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Kurt Russell, Swayze. The Rock has earned that status for me.

I was joking. It's terrible, but the girl that plays the Rocks daughter has one of the best racks you've ever seen. So there's that...