Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Yeah I honestly didn't really associate the two with each other until a certain scene in the movie. Thought they were entirely separate. I hadn't seen Cloverfield in a loooong time so I honestly couldn't tell if there were certain cues that I missed earlier on.

There is a piece of John Goodman's mail that shows the company he worked for was also the company that had a satellite crash in the first Cloverfield, awakening the beast.

I didn't pick up on it myself, I read that online afterward and then looked for it the second time I watched it

• Like 1

I saw Suicide Squad today and I liked it alot. I was expecting to be disappointed but it surprised me how good it was. Well, I thought it was good; A- worthy good.

Also, saw the average movie, "Nine Lives".  It gets a C.  Had some funny moments but everything about it has been told before.

I saw Sausage Party tonight.  It was so bad, you can't help but laugh.  I think even with the editing, it still would be a NC-!7 toon.

Our poor food, who knew they had lives.  I'll give a C- and I'm being generous.  Typical Seth Rogen though, who provides the voice of the lead HOt Dog.

Edited by Rdskns2000

independence day resurgence

unbelievably bad.  So full of cliches and and eye rolling moments that you wonder if you're watching the knock off b-movie version with a slightly different title.  This is a sharknado level script with a 165 million dollar budget.  Anyone watch that first GI Joe movie, the one with Marlon Wayans in it?  This is cheesier and makes less sense.  How was a Wayans brother not in this?  

• Like 1

Watched High Rise on the flight back from LA.  Sorta Sci-Fi dystopian drama involving class warfare among the residents of a self contained high-rise structure.  Meant to serve as an allegory for modern society/wealth imbalance, but it works much better as a psychedelic splatter flick.  Strong cast with Hiddleston and Jeremy Irons, among others.

Very cool.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2016 at 8:51 AM, Mr. Sinister said:

Still amazes me how prople like that can sit up in these film company conference rooms and say "Give me this", and with a blank check nearly, put out such crap.

Overseas markets.  Well, that's what they are hoping for, if it doesn't take off in America.

I watched this movie called "Spaceman" last night.  It's about Bill Lee, the pitcher for the Red Sox and Expos in the late 70s and early 80s who was a cult hero for smoking a lot of weed and his wacky attitude towards life.  Outspoken and brash, he was a fan favorite but management couldn't stand him.  Josh Duhamel plays Lee.  

It's been getting bad reviews but I came home last night and with my Orioles losing, I was still in the mood for something baseball related.  It's in the theaters now, but you could rent it on Apple TV for 7 bucks or buy it for 10.  I usually like to watch movies at least twice and for 3 extra bucks it made sense so I bought it.

Probably shouldn't have.  I was aware that the movie takes place primarily after Lee gets released from the Expos in early '82 and a lot of the bad reviews mentioned that which didn't bother me.  Duhamel does a decent job, but the production quality isn't the best.  It's a low budget indie film and that's usually ok with me but...I need to watch it again since I fell asleep. Just didn't love it right away and I'd be hesitant to recommend it to anyone.

Lo and Behold.  It's a documentary by Werner Herzog, who has done other great documentary films such as Grizzly Man.  It's about the origins of the internet and some thoughts about where it will lead us.

It's gotten great reviews, but I felt there was something lacking here.  It's a Herzog flick, so I knew it would explore the human element, which it did.  I just didn't see anything really groundbreaking about it.  There weren't a whole lot of things brought up that I hadn't thought about at one time or another.  Of course, I read a lot of stuff about A.I. and other science/philosophy type stuff.  I've seen Through the Wormhole episodes that I found to be more engaging.  

I am excited to see Hell or High Water on Friday.  I hear it is one of the best films of the year, and I would highly recommend checking it out in your area before they pull it.  I don't usually recommend films I haven't seen yet, but I'm not sure how long it'll be in theaters.  I will give a firmer recommendation on Saturday. :)

Hell or High Water.  A lot of hype for this film.  I really liked it, didn't love it.  The movie is worth seeing just for Jeff Bridges.  What an absolute talent he is.  A true legend of the silver screen.  He owns this film, and it really isn't close.

The more I see Chris Pine, the less I like him.  He just feels like a stock character to me in everything he's in.  Middle of the road.  A little bit flat.  Maybe it's just me.  Felt like all the pieces were here for something incredible, it just never seemed to soar for me.  

One of those films that you think 'that was really good', and then you don't remember anything about it a week later.  Except for Jeff Bridges, of course. :)

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1

these_final_hours_ver4.jpg

(2014)

As Earth approaches a cataclysm that will be its end, a self-obsessed man heads for the party-to-end-all-parties, but he instead ends up saving the life of a little girl, then helping her search for her father.

How can I describe this.... depressingly satisfying? Tragically romantic? Either way, we liked it.

Definitely makes you wonder about what you would do if you knew it would all be over and you only had hours left. We both agreed that it would probably happen just like it did in the movie. I would prefer to see it coming, and have the person I care about the most right there with me.

I dont think I would kill myself, or anyone I love. Its strange... part of me has sort of a weird view of things in that its not often you get to see the end of the world. The other part is I'd want to spend every last second living the hell out of life, until my time was up.

All in all, solid movie. Knowing the bare minimum about the science surrounding cataclysmic/impact events, I know it wouldnt exactly play out like it did in the film, but then again, if I wanted 100% realism, I'd watch the Science channel.

Btw, I've never really been one to be "That guy," but out of respect for Ren, the awesome chick that started this thread years ago, I figured some of yall could maybe try a little harder to do it its proper justice, or if you never knew what the requested format was, read the OP. I was here when she started it and she had a clear vision in her mind of how she wanted it to go, and "I saw this... It was aight" was not what I think she'd have wanted.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Don't Breathe 

Sticking with seeing any horror/scary type movie with good reviews on the big screen

86% on rotten tomatoes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dont_breathe_2016/

Not as scary--scenes that make you jump--as I thought. Definitely high tension though. One guy walking out when it was over: "**** I feel stressed out."

Solid B+

While I'm here, there was a preview for the new Resident Evil movie. What's the best video game movie? Anything super high quality? Can't think of anything but I might be forgetting something.

@BornaSkinsFan83 Silent Hill (2006)

Or the first Résident Evil or Mortal Kombat. Very low bar imo, until SH nailed it. Not super high quality, but i feel like if you had no connection to the franchise, youd at least think the movie was solid. Every chance at a sequel though for all franchises has been cringe quality. Wouldnt even bother if I was strung out on meth. No other game adaptations (and there have been a lot) deserve mention

Be on the lookout for Assassin's Creed,  coming this winter. One of the deepest and most awe inspring game franchises out there, with a very intricate, yet very adaptable plot. I always thought through the years that if they stayed away (mostly) from canon, a mistake everyone makes, they could do something special. Michael Fassbender has the lead role

Check this out

They could be the first to bust the door down

Edited by Mr. Sinister

29 minutes ago, Springfield said:

?

A coworker said it was the best horror movie he's seen in a long time.

I like my horror movies creepy as **** with lots of jumps that keeps your asshole clenched for two hours. The Conjuring, for example, is the best horror movie ever in my opinion. Don't Breathe isn't that. But it's still great for what it does, hence the B+. Definitely recommend it.

@Mr. Sinister

I have to rewatch that old Mortal Kombat movie.

Crazy with how many video game movies there have been they only a couple are worth mentioning.

You know, I always kinda liked the Super Mario movie. I might be the only person in the world who does though.

• Like 1

Alone In the Dark is probably THE worst adaptation. Surprising, considering Stephen Dorff and Christian Slater are in it... who are actually credited actors. The acting is like high school program (with bad funding) quality, and the plot made no sense. I barely made it like 15 minutes before I tapped out. Watch it. I dare you. 

Video games have it hard, from a live action standpoint. Doom, ugh, such a mess. NFS came out a couple years ago with Aaron Paul, but even still, it just felt like Fast and the Furious Lite Beer.

Animation is a different story though. Tekken has really good anime from like 20 years ago covering the first tournament, then a second computer animated one featuring the tug of war/Devil Gene mystery between Heihachi, Kazuya and Jin. Street Fighter has one focusing on the link between Ryu and Akuma

Dead Space has a couple solid animes. Resident Evil has some good ones as well (Degeneration, while Dreamcast like in its graphics, was really good). Mass Effect even has one, featuring Lt Vega and his battle with the Collectors on Fehl Prime that leaves him emotionally scarred in his conversations with Commander Shepard in Mass Effect 3. The adaptation is called Paragon Lost

As for horror, I like mine cerebral, creepy, not overslashery or jumpscary, or found footage-y, or possession-y.

I view all of that as immensely tired, and as such, I viewed The Conjuring as a gigantic Meh Fest. Totally unoriginal in just about every damn thing they did, and being an avid horror fan (it is by far my favorite genre) I am subsequently the USSR repping Russian Judge when it comes to my own rating system.

Its mostly limited to mainstream American horror. We struggle so hard to go outside the realm of zombies found footage, ghost stories, possession, and slashers. There is so much out there that people fear, and when you truly explore that, and tP into it,  that is when you can reinvent the genre imo. We're totally being dumbed down. But I do have some guilty pleasures. Few and far between though.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Screen-Shot-2016-01-27-at-1.07.13-PM.png

I saw Kobu and the Two Strings over the weekend.    Very good movie.. nifty and stylish animation. the story was pretty standard, but the villains were cool, the animation is overall very good, although in some close-ups, the lips look a little odd when they move to speak. (my guess is they re-dubbed the lips to match english words. When you first meet Monkey, you'll see what i mean. it does not detract from the movie.)

If you enjoy animation, you'll like it. If you have kids, they'll like it.

~Bang

I watched Rambo last night.  Not First Blood, or parts 2 or 3, but the one that came out in 2008.  Hadn't seen it since I saw it in the theater. 

All in all, probably a terrible movie but it's damn fun.  And bloody as all hell.  And when Rambo kills the main bad guy in the end by spilling his guts all over the place, it's satisfying.  

don't breathe was solid.  B+.  Jane Levy is sexy af.  I'd give her the whole 5.

The Gift was a friggin' blast!  Edgerton & Bateman were strong.  I was so uncomfortable watching this movie!

Brooklyn was one of the best movies I've seen in the last year.  Ronan smashed it!  The Lovely Bones was weird but I loved her performance.

Bourne - ehhhhhhhh.  B.  Matt is still crushing bammas that wronged him.  Nothing new or special, though Vikander is hawt.

hell or high water - Jeff Bridges....yep.  Ben Foster, too.  I really enjoyed this.  Solid A-, becuase Pine is kinda corny but he's the new capt kirk so I tried to like him.

Nice Guys was strong af.  Handsome Ryan & Russ were great.  Really funny movie!

War Dogs ain't ****.  meh. meh....meh.  

Green Room - DAMN.  Stewart. Anton :(  

Putting on my @BornaSkinsFan83 indie film hat (first time trying this ES tag ****) 

Embrace the Serpent one of the best movies I've seen this year.  so ****ing good.  jesus! Wow!

The Fits - A top 5 film this year.  it will for sure be nominated for top indie film.  Alternative coming of age joint that DELIVERS.  

• Like 2