Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

The Martian - Loved it. Pretty much exactly what I expected. Funny, heartfelt, amazing cinematography, suspenseful...very well done. Some parts were truly scary. I can't imagine being in those scenarios.

Matt Damon is the focus obviously and this might be his best role for me. He kills it. You really bond with him and his struggles. He pulls you in to his successes and setbacks much the way Hanks did with Castaway.

The rest of the cast nails it too.

Definitely worth checking out.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

^^^ that looked kind of interesting. Haven't checked Netflix in awhile and didn't realize it was there

Started it over and watched it all the way through.  Pretty good movie man, I give it a solid B.  Held my attention the entire way through, some really good plot twists and solid ending.  

• Like 1

Black Mass. I thought it was very good. Johnny Depps Oscar bid. I think for what it was, they did a very good job. The supporting cast was excellent as well. It's no best picture, but Johnny Depp was excellent. 15 minutes into the film, my wife asked me if Depp had appeared yet. I had to point him out. The issues with the film were minimal. This was supposed to be about Bulger and his relationships that allowed him to do what he did. They covered that as well as his brutal nature and the forces that allowed him to rise to power. I don't think they could've covered all the material any better in a 2 hour film. On a 5 star system, I would give it a 3.5, 4 if you really like Depp.

Edited by Birdlives
  • Like 2

The Martian - Loved it. Pretty much exactly what I expected. Funny, heartfelt, amazing cinematography, suspenseful...very well done. Some parts were truly scary. I can't imagine being in those scenarios.

Matt Damon is the focus obviously and this might be his best role for me. He kills it. You really bond with him and his struggles. He pulls you in to his successes and setbacks much the way Hanks did with Castaway.

The rest of the cast nails it too.

Definitely worth checking out.

Just saw it. Your write up is pretty solid, I don't have much to add. Ridley Scott will get nominated for an Oscar. You can take that to the bank. Matt Damon is more god than man, he was great.

Really good movie.

• Like 1

Yep, The Martian was pretty good. There were a couple super-tense parts and some unexpected humor, which was nice.

I have more gripes than praise though:( First, I know A LOT of time passes in the movie, so the skipping ahead in huge chunks was kind of frustrating. The second, I didn't care for the blatant deus ex machina that kept popping up. Finally, the explanations and Mars satellite jargon (which I thought I was fairly good at) zipped right on by.

I'd give Gravity the edge in a head-to-head as it appeared to be much more "grounded" or closer to our science.

End result: still very entertaining. 8/10.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 1

I thought Gravity sucked. Nearly fell asleep in it. Once a certain person died, I was checked out completely. Just didn't do it for me. Visually amazing but didn't engage me at all.

Yeah Gravity seems to be somewhat polarizing. I felt it was tense and gripping all the way through. I didn't think the actors themselves were as important as the cinematography, pacing, and realism.

• Like 1

My last cluster of movies:

Ironclad- Medieval times movie.  Set in the 13th century after the Magna Carta was signed.  King John wants his country back and basically ignores the treaty.  Very gory.  Thought it was OK.  Kate Mara- Yum! :wub:

Dracula Untold- Not bad.  A different take on Dracula.  Another pretty gory movie.  Sara Gadon. :wub:

Eragon- I liked it.  Decent movie (2006) about a kid who is a Dragon Rider. 

Belle- Surprisingly good.  I like historic movies so this was a good one. 

Exodus: Gods and Kings- Not a bad movie. A little long, but pretty decent.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For- Typical Robert Rodriguez comic book-blood and guts movie.  Eva Green loves to get nude.  I don't think there is a movie I've seen her in that she didn't show some skin. = Not complaining. :P  :D

Jack Reacher- I actually loved this movie. Surprising twist, good fights, car chases.  I feel like it had everything in it.  One of Tom's better movies IMO. ;)

Unbroken- Just watched this this morning.  Awesome, excellent and words can't describe it.  Loved the scene towards the end when he had to hold the RR Tie up over his head and he reached back deeper and actually "broke" the Bird. :)

Haha, fair enough.

I just thought it was funny that all the movies you listed got generally good reviews.

Could also be that he is taking advice in here and only watching good movies.

Creep......weird man, I like the actor, he is in The League, but it was just odd.  I'm actually gonna give it a C-.  It just didn't work for me.

Sicario. If i had to describe Sicario in one word, it would be "evil." It was an incredibly dark, EVIL movie. The Mexican drug cartel and the black ops task forces that battle them are SAVAGES. my GOD.

Sicario grabs you by the throat 10 seconds after it starts and doesn't let go until the credits roll. The flow of the movie was really awkward, kind of all over the place. but it worked very well for this type of story. The music. The acting. The aerial shots of a caravan of blacked out tahoes crossing into Mexico, V8s ROARING, assault rifles at the ready, suspenseful music....I was on the edge of my seat for most of the movie .

Emily was good, props to her. but Del Toro and Josh Bolin were GREAT. Give it an A. Excluding the films that haven't released yet this year, Sicario, for me, is one of the top 5 movies of 2015 so far. Its up there with Max, Machina, MI3, It Follows. Sicario is mandatory viewing

Saw this yesterday. Agree with you on all points. Very violent, dark and gritty movie.

Battling the drug trade and cartels is quite horrific. You get in bed with other evil people to do it and some of your means are less than questionable.

This movie asked a lot of tough questions. The sad part is that I'm not sure there are any good answers for them.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Could also be that he is taking advice in here and only watching good movies.

Creep......weird man, I like the actor, he is in The League, but it was just odd. I'm actually gonna give it a C-. It just didn't work for me.

It was just disturbing to me. The guy is so strange. For a "found footage" movie, it left an impression on me. The end wasn't necessarily what I was expecting.

• Like 1

Doc (of all people) suggested "Babadook."  For what it's worth, considering this movie came from an independent film company out of southern Australia, this was an above average horror movie.  Wasn't great, but I enjoyed it.  Took some google searches to figure out the ending completely.  This movie totally caught me off guard, as I was expecting a monster horror, but Babadook was more of a psychological thriller.  A lot of great tension build up in this one, even in broad daylight scenes.  Legit creepy, and Essie Davis was sooooooooo good!

Doc, good look, bro!

the_babadook.jpg

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

Saw this one on Redbox and picked it up the other day.

Dark Places

http://cdn.a24films.com/assets/DarkPlaces_060415_1Sheet_FM_web.jpg

Libby Day was only eight years old when her family was brutally murdered in their rural Kansas farmhouse. Almost thirty years later, she agrees to revisit the crime and uncovers the wrenching truths that led up to that tragic night

Thought this was pretty good. Under the radar since I'd never heard of it. Some good suspense and the mystery of what happened that night keeps you engaged throughout. It has a decent payoff too. Good performances too. Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

yeah, it's worth a watch on a boring saturday afternoon lol.  not gonna write home about it, but good acting and a really interesting angle on the mother/son relationship.  She's a Netflix streamer.

Edited by Chew