Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Ex Machina.

Pretty good mental movie. If you're a fan of the sci fi genre, give it a shot. Directed by the person who wrote 28 Days Later and Sunshine, both movies I thoroughly enjoyed. Delves into the relationship between man and AI. A few great performances here.

I was surprised how much I liked this movie, but the ending pissed me off.  So I downgrade it based on the ending, although I "get it".

I was surprised how much I liked this movie, but the ending pissed me off. So I downgrade it based on the ending, although I "get it".

So...

How does she charge up her battery? Didn't get that.

I liked that she left Caleb, proving that she was just using him to escape. Caleb was mind ****ed, even more so than the mad scientist.

• Like 1

I loved the ending to Ex Machina. My best bud loved it up until that point though.

Chip - what didn't you like about it?

was it her leaving Caleb locked up to die? That's what my friend hated. He didn't think Caleb had done anything wrong and didn't deserve to die. I didn't think that was the point either way.

I took it that she didn't care because she knew Caleb could potentially prevent her from truly being free as she desired because of his love for her. Even a life with him wouldn't allow her to truly be free. So I didn't care that she killed him. It was cold and beautiful to me.

Regarding the battery. Again, this doesn't bother me. She is incredibly smart and was programmed using the Search engine formulas. I'm sure she could figure out a way to charge outside of the compound. And even if not, I kind of like that too. She sacrificed herself knowing she wouldn't be able to charge and took the chance at for her freedom or for those few precious moments of it. I like to think she figured it out though.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

I thought the ending of Ex Machina was great. One of those rare situations where the viewer/audience is truly unsure of which scenario will unfold. Sure, some people may have guessed correctly (as a friend of mine at work did when watching it) but you couldn't be sure until it was over.

At first, the only part I didn't like was the scene at the end going back to Caleb a second time, as it was unecessary. His story ended with the noisy/static one prior. However, it conributed to the "unsure" outcome and created doubt and hope to mess with the audiences' minds.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 2

Ex Machina.

Pretty good mental movie. If you're a fan of the sci fi genre, give it a shot. Directed by the person who wrote 28 Days Later and Sunshine, both movies I thoroughly enjoyed. Delves into the relationship between man and AI. A few great performances here.

Yeah man, it got creepy weird for a while, the ending was awesome.  Great movie, we watched it when we were at the beach.

I love the endings in movies that are more realistic and what most likely should happen. Sometimes, darker endings are needed. This movie, was a perfect example of that.

She evolved to the point of where she was acting like a trapped human would, doing anything possible to escape this prison she was in.

Loved it.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

Cooties - 28 Days Later with 3rd graders, played for laughs with good gore. Fun and cheesy. A must watch if you're a teacher, I would guess.

I had to re-read your post about three times and look up Cooties, because I thought you meant you watched 28 Days Later with third-graders lol.

• Like 2

Just watched John Carter (of Mars). Wow, surprisingly good and it had that that huge, epic feel to it. Now I see why people have been starting to speak out and say that it was much better than it's box office suggested.

I know it went through a few name changes during production before Disney settled on the generic name. Disney had no idea how to approach marketing and demographics with this property.

It was solid all around, even a strong and emotional performance from Taylor Kitsch, who is widely regarded as box office poison.

A good 7.5/10.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 1

I hated John Carter. Turned it off halfway through and kicked myself for wasting that much time. Just didn't have at of the Disney magic for me

I can see that. I think for me, it was because I heard so much ridicule for it and when I popped the disc in, I was in the mood for big sci-fi.

• Like 1

Black Mass.  Depp is a true beast, but it was hard to find anything outside of his performance to really get excited about.  Standard mob movie fare.  I wasn't crazy about the way the story was crafted through interviews, I really didn't see why they couldn't have kept it linear.  And I would've liked more 'business' stuff from Depp, but it seemed to focus almost entirely on his relationship with the FBI.

Excited to see The Martian and Sicario.  Hopefully Ridley Scott can bounce back, and I think the guy who directed Sicario is quickly becoming one of the best in the business.  If you like 'weird, haunting films' and you haven't seen Enemy with Jake Gyllenhaal, I can't recommend that film enough.  

If you like 'weird, haunting films' and you haven't seen Enemy with Jake Gyllenhaal, I can't recommend that film enough.

My man! That was one of my movies of the year when I saw it last year I guess it was. Loved it so much. Interested to hear your thoughts on it. I'll be honest, I didn't put it all quite together. Went back and re watched certain scenes and then read up a bunch of theories afterwards and came away loving it even more.

The symbolism in that movie is crazy too if you buy into it.

On a personal note, thank the Lord God almighty that I somehow had this nervous feeling of what was about to happen at one particular scene and looked away right as Jake was rounding the corner. I spared myself the outright horror of seeing that. I might have never recovered. Despite the spiders throughout, totally loved that movie. Read up on that particular scene and his Wife's reaction and it all fits pretty well with the rest of the movie.

I'll be honest, I didn't put it all quite together. 

I didn't put it all together either.  I read some of the theories afterwards, but still not sure I grasped all of it.  Haha.

But here's the thing...I didn't really care if I grasped it or not.  Like you, I watch a ton of films.  I like dark flicks more than anything else, and the mood/atmosphere that they created in Enemy was top notch.  It lingered with me long after I watched it.  Unsettling, mysterious stuff.  That's why I have high hopes for Sicario.

The Rover is a really different than Enemy, but it does the same kinda thing with the atmosphere/world.  That one made my 'Best' list as well.  ****ing awesome flick.  Michod is another director to keep an eye on.  Brad Pitt is starring in his next film which is shooting in London right now.

Let me know what any of you guys think of Sicario.  I know some of y'all freaks will be checking it out this weekend.  I know Chew will go to see Emily Blunt fight cartels any day of the week. :)

• Like 1

Black Mass. Depp was good, movie was good. We all know how the story ends, just sat back and enjoyed it. The biggest knock on this movie (and I agree somewhat) is that it was slow. I thought the acting was super, but the story did move along rather slowly. A few scenes were dragged out that could've been shortened or cut out altogether. Still, Depp and Edgerton were very good. I give it a B.

Sicario. If i had to describe Sicario in one word, it would be "evil." It was an incredibly dark, EVIL movie. The Mexican drug cartel and the black ops task forces that battle them are SAVAGES. my GOD.

Sicario grabs you by the throat 10 seconds after it starts and doesn't let go until the credits roll. The flow of the movie was really awkward, kind of all over the place. but it worked very well for this type of story. The music. The acting. The aerial shots of a caravan of blacked out tahoes crossing into Mexico, V8s ROARING, assault rifles at the ready, suspenseful music....I was on the edge of my seat for most of the movie .

Emily was good, props to her. but Del Toro and Josh Bolin were GREAT. Give it an A. Excluding the films that haven't released yet this year, Sicario, for me, is one of the top 5 movies of 2015 so far. Its up there with Max, Machina, MI3, It Follows. Sicario is mandatory viewing

Edited by Chew