Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

The Drop- Good movie.  James Gandolfini's last movie. Tom Hardy- He will be a legend when he's older if he keeps up his versatility with all of these roles.  Every movie he's been in, I've loved.

I think the only movie I have ever seen him in is the Dark Knight as Bane.

At least that I recall... I've heard of him and how great his work is, just never seen the movies.

I feel like Ankles after that statement. Hmm...

Edited by Kosher Ham

At least that I recall... I've heard of him and how great his work is, just never seen the movies.

Kosher - He hasn't been in a ton of stuff but he's getting there and is extremely versatile and talented.

He first popped up on my radar when I saw him in Inception and he was stealing scenes as Eames, the shapeshifter/character guy for their heist. Loved him there. Went toe to toe wth Leo nicely.

Then I heard he was cast as Bane which made me go back and check out Bronson on Netflix. He plays the lead Charles Bronson which is a fairly unique character. Guy sentenced to prison for robbing a post office ends up serving life sentence despite never killing anyone. Dude is vicious

Then of course, came Warriors the MMA movie about a completely shattered family of 2 brothers and an alcoholic dad. This is probably my favorite movie by him. Brings me to tears in several spots but also pretty badass.

He was in Lawless with Shia Leboeuf and Jessica Chastain as the head of their family, the legendary almost mythic older brother of a family going against the law running moonshine. Movie was good not great or special.

Then of course The Dark Knight Rises. I loved him as Bane. He was powerful and intimidating but also intelligent. His face was almost completely covered but he expressed so much emotion just through his eyes. It was excellent. I just wish Nolan had edited the sound better because some of his lines were hard to hear.

Arguable his best role to me, Locke. Independent film, didn't get big press or anything. Entire movie takes place with Hardy driving in his car for an hour and half talking on the phone to multiple people as he tries to juggle his personal and professional life which are both falling apart around him. He owns the movie in this, it's really something to see.

He's also Max in the recent Mad Max. He doesn't have a lot of lines in this one but it fits with the character they seemed to want and he delivers in the role. I notice he has a way of still putting out great performances with body language and facial expressions when dialogue isn't there.

I recently just watched Child 44 too. It's a crime thriller set in the 1950s during Stalin's USSR reign. Hardy is a top police official that has a fall from grace and begins investigating a series of child murders. The movie was pretty decent had some pacing problems but again Hardy was awesome in it. Did a nice Russian accent too.

In between all those somewhere he made a nice rom-com

This Is War with Chris Pine and Reese Witherspoon. They are partner spies and both meet her around the same time and agree that the best man wins. I enjoyed it so there's that.

That's probably why.

I stopped watching the Vampire show on HBO when they went to shapeshifting...cheesy.

Not an MMA fan.

I heard Lawless was a 'if you're bored' movie to go see.

Certainly don't have any interest in watching a movie about a guy driving and talking on his cell phone the entire movie.

Loved Mad Max...back in the day...will wait to see the new one.

Thanks though.

Edited by Kosher Ham

@ momma, nope. Some actor as Pac, i believe. Also read they're making a sequel of sorts, next movie will focus on snoop and tupac, and the east/west beef

Have you Hardy fans seen "Bronson?" Probably his best "character performance" to date, IMO. One of his earlier movies, I watched it in netflix like 5 years ago.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 2

That's probably why.

I stopped watching the Vanpire show on HBO when they went to shapeshifting...cheesy.

Not an MMA fan.

Inception isn't anything like True Blood or those shape shifters. It's hard to explain. He basically just impersonates characters for the dream they are inside. That's all. If you haven't sent inception, it's amazing and seriously worth checking out.

Warriors has an MMA plot but it's just a vehicle for the family dynamics. It's a really good movie.

@ momma, nope. Some actor as Pac, i believe. Also read they're making a sequel of sorts, next movie will focus on snoop and tupac, and the east/west beef

Have you Hardy fans seen "Bronson?" Probably his best "character performance" to date, IMO. One of his earlier movies, I watched it in netflix like 5 years ago.

They need to bring in a new actor for Snoop if they are going to go into the Desth Row East/West era. I forgot to mention that in my review earlier. He didn't look or sound like Snoop. He was tall and skinny that's about it.

Hardy was awesome in Bronson. Loved it.

• Like 1

Produced by Daz ? haha. It will be terrible. The are talking all new actors directors and everything.

Dogg Pound, Nate Dogg, Warren G, Pac, etc.

Edited by Kosher Ham

Sorry, been meaning to get back to your quote. 

As Momma There Goes That Man said, he hasn't been in a lot of movies, but what movies he's been in, it seems he hits a HR with his portrayal of the character. 

I first saw him in Lawless.  Some didn't like the movie, but I thought it was pretty good.  He was pretty badass as the patriarch of the family of moonshiners.

Like I said, he's not considered an all time great yet, but I'll keep an eye on his career.  I need to see a couple of those movies that Momma quoted.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while. With 3 months of free channels, I've been downloading a ton of movies.  Here is the latest batch:

Jackass 2-  Some funny stuff.  I think these guys are running out of steam because I feel the stunts are getting too dangerous.  I don't want dangerous, I want funny. The fish hook comes to mind.  Idiotic.

Kite- Teen assassin. Not that good.  Kind of weird. 

Planes- From the Cars movies. Cute.  I liked Cars and Cars 2 and I liked this.

Foxcatcher- Meh. I thought the whole movie was a little long and boring. But Steve Carrell hit DuPonts character perfect.

True Grit- New version. Of course I don't like it as much as the classic, but not bad.  Enjoyed it.

Million Dollar Arm- Ok. Not bad.  Wasn't sure it would be interesting, but it got better as it went along.

Chronicles of Narnia- Never saw this old movie from 1995.  Figured it was more for kids. I liked it a lot.  I'm going to check out the next 2 movies in the series.

Beerfest- Another old movie I never saw. Had a couple of funny moments, but average at best.

Mighty Joe Young- More old movie that I never saw.  Good movie. Enjoyed it and of course Charlize Theron- Yum!

Inherent Vice- WTF??? :blink:   Could not follow the story line. Weird, creepy and confusing.  The ONLY good thing about it was seeing Ms. Katherine Waterston nude-  :wub:

The Theory of Everything- Watched it just last night.  Good movie. You felt bad for him as the diseased progressed. Ms. Felicity Jones is such a cutie. :wub:

Dumb and Dumber To- Of course 20 years later its hard to top a classic. A few funny moments, but average for me.

Kissing a Fool- 1998 chick flick. Ok. Typical boy loves girl and she doesn't know.

Hello, I must be going- A little boring, but OK.  Kind of a quirky movie.

Winter's Tale- I kind of like this.  A little sappy, but had some good parts.

The Lorax- Meh. A couple of funny parts.  Kids movie, but OK.

The Time Machine- OK. Not bad.  Another hottie in Samantha Mumba.  Saw the pokies sticking out. :wub:  :ph34r:

I've got the following cued up to record and watch:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Kickass

Kickass-2

The Wedding Ringer

Kill the Messenger

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

Exodus: Gods and Kings

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 2

Inherent Vice confused the hell out of me to the point I fell asleep. I wanted to like it but the trailer and the actual movie seem like they come from two completely different sources.

The Apes movies are awesome though. I think you'll enjoy them especially if you're a fan of the originals

I finally saw The Avengers 2. Honestly, meh. Kinda disappointing. I liked Ultron but there was just too much going on. And apparently the only script we are too to get for an Avengers movie is 1 hour of them fighting amongst themselves and 1 hour of them fighting an impossible number of goons from some evil army.

Just didn't feel like anything new or special, in fact it felt like the exact same as Avengers 1 without the excitement of having them all together for the first time. It wasnt as funny or as dramatic. A lot of the jokes fell flat or felt forced. Also...I like Jeremy Renner a lot but I don't care about Hawkeye much less Hawkeye's family farm and how his kitchen remodeling is going. I know why they put it in, I just didn't care for it.

But I did stumble across this easier while checking out the RottenTomatoes upcoming movie list.

Who knows if the movie will be good, looks decent so far but looks like another awesome Hardy performance...or two of them.

Straight Outta Compton - Very good movie, way better than Notorious.  The actor that plays Eazy E and Ice Cube's son as Cube were great in it. The first 90 minutes of this movie are as flawless as it gets, after that you can tell they had to cut some stuff to get the movie releasable in theaters.  F. Gary Gary (the director) said the directors cut will clear three hours.   One of the best movies I have seen this year.

I went with the Mrs. to see Outta Compton, wasn't expecting much but I got the best movie I've seen since Guardians last year.  Highly recommend.

Run All Night.

Wife and I watched this last night. I suggested either Ex Machina or The Kingsmen, she picked Run All Night. It was like Taken, except Liam Neason was more of a failure and less of a badass. Typical, predictable movie for the genre with no action scenes that were worth clamoring about.

Worth watching on HBO but not on PPV.

• Like 1

Run All Night.

Wife and I watched this last night. I suggested either Ex Machina or The Kingsmen, she picked Run All Night. It was like Taken, except Liam Neason was more of a failure and less of a badass. Typical, predictable movie for the genre with no action scenes that were worth clamoring about.

Worth watching on HBO but not on PPV.

My thoughts on this exactly. Wish I hadn't RedBoxed it. Way too predictable and just not very high quality

Beerfest - Average at best?!? That movie is a stone cold classic!

Well,

Maybe if I had have seen it when I was younger, it may have been funnier.  I did say that there were some funny parts to it.  Like all of these types of "bawdy" movies from the 80s and 90s, you can always pick a few memorable lines out of it. I like the cheesy movie Commando, and I practically know the whole script, but that doesn't make it a classic. 

I mean, it wasn't terrible, but average. Yes, average.  It's like a couple of other movies that people swear by.  Super Troopers.  Couple of funny parts, memorable lines, but not academy award worthy.  Some people like the Big Lebowski. Meh for me. Again, memorable lines and a few funny parts, but these types of movies as a whole, are not exactly great if you look at the whole movie.

But, to each his own I guess.  Again, I didn't hate any of those movies and thought they were alright, but nothing to write home about IMO. :mellow:

OK, my next haul until my 3 month free preview runs out:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes- Good movie. Very intense. A little slow out of the blocks, but watching "Dawn" I get the setup for the next movie and probably a third movie to end the series.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- Loved this one. Much better than the 1st. Tied everything together and great setup for a possible finale.

St. Vincent- Yawn.  Little boring, but I liked the end. 

Night at the Museum: Tomb- All of these in the series have been quite good if you like history and special effects. Cute movie.  Liked the chick who was the British Security Guard (Rebel Wilson). She stole the show.

Kick-Ass- Wow.  Thought I was going to watch a kids superhero movie. Not at all what I expected.  Lots of violence and cursing (but it doesn't bother me) with some good action. 

Kick-Ass 2- Same as above.  I think the violence and cursing increased.  Like both of them.

The Wedding Ringer- Meh.  Couple of funny one liners. The first hour of the movie actually bored me.  Glad I watched if for free.

Kill the Messenger- A little confusing as to who were the bad guys.  I thought this movie was OK.  Researched Gary a little to see what it was actually about. 

I have 6 more cued up before my free movies run out.  I'll post them next week sometime.

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 3