Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

9 hours ago, nonniey said:

Just saw Justice League yesterday this has probably already been discussed  but that movie lacks a good villain.  Not having one really wrecks the overall movie.

Just watched this yesterday.  I thought it was pretty bad, par for the course for most DC movies over the last several years.

Valerian & The City of 1000 Planets - it was okay, nothing special.  Cool CGI and fun story, definitely expecting a sequel.  Cara Dev-whatever is smoking hot.  Jeebus.

It - pretty disappointed.  Unlike the original when Tim Curry did most of the trolling, this one was full of CGI.  I liked how they switched the story up some, but overall, the remake fell way short of the original. 

Home Again - :rolleyes:

Brad's Status - decent little indie Ben Stiller joint about mid-life crisis.  It was okay.

Bladerunner - I liked it even more the second time around.  I seem to be in the minority here, but I friggin' LOVED it.  It was so ****ing slow, but it was steady.  I liked the tension it built.  And the music/futuristic sounds, oh man.  Eargasms.  Harrison is getting old. 

American Ultra - this one slipped through the cracks on me a few years back.  It was okay.  Eisenberg played himself.  Kristin Stewart is supposed to be a real **** in real life, but I think she's a good actress.  Movie was forgettable, though.  Some funny action scenes.  Leguizamo was the best part of the movie.

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Watched The Foreigner last night. Very different Jackie Chan movie, very dark. Pierce Brosnan was in it too. Those two going at each other. Psychological and action combined. 

Really enjoyed it. Great movie.

I just watched this last night with the gf. Surprised old man Jackie can still get down, at what has to be near 70. But yeah, it was a good one.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I watched a movie called “Killing of a Sacred Deer” the other night. Recommend that movie to someone you hate, I could not believe what I watched. I guess it’s considered black comedy, not really sure what that means but I have a great sense of humor and that movie just made me want to punch my own face. Very weird movie.

Edited by maxspruill21

Wind River

Standard Taylor Sheridan product, which means it's pretty good.  Quality performances by Renner and Olsen. 

I was kinda hoping for more from the reveal of the killer, but it was fine.  The clues were limited.  They want you to think it's one thing only to reveal it's some other thing, neither of which were given much setup.

On 1/7/2018 at 5:01 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Saw "Molly's Game" on friday based on the true story of Molly Bloom.  Loved it. Kind of rare to see a good drama in January; which is usually a dumping ground for movies.  I'll give it an A.  

"The Post" opens wide next weekend, so will be seeing that next.  

it came out in December

48 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Saw "American Made" w/Tom Cruise. Kind of a mess. At one point the try to get Cruise to hold a conversation in Spanish,

which was a mistake. Great aerial scenes though, especially with the twin-engine Aerostar. C+

I liked it, didnt love it.  I knew a lot about the story going in and I didnt think the tone matched the reality of the story.  This movie shoulda been like Kill the Messenger, which really is the next chapter to this story.

But that was my idea, that you could really so a shared universe of based on a true story stories.  In this case, you could have 3, 4, 5 movies based on CIA drug trafficking. 

• Like 1

Darkest Hour was good - not great but good. Everyone is saying Oldman nailed the part but I just didn't get that from him close but there is just something is missing and don't know what - something though.

Edited by nonniey

The Post.  A timely Spielberg flick about the Pentagon Papers and the efforts of the Nixon administration to muzzle the free press.  Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep lead the way, both with strong performances as the leaders of the struggling Washington Post.  

This is an important film.  Unfortunately, it will most likely slide through the cracks.  Thoroughly watchable, but not sure it ever reaches an engrossing level.  I know this may sound nit picky, but Spielberg could use a new cinematographer.  The "put a big ass light in every window" aesthetic is tired and distracting.  The Supreme Court looks more like a space ship than a room of law.  This is drama, not sci-fi.  I think a more natural look would be preferable.  Maybe something like...Spotlight. 3/4.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:34 PM, BraveWarrior said:

Watched American Made last week. God, but not great.

The new version of IT. A lot different from the original, but pretty good, except for an upsettingly gruesome scene involving a young boy.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Welp, at least it wasn't as bad as The Phantom Menace. 

In at least one way the Phantom Menace was better  - Story Arc/Development. 

On 1/15/2018 at 5:51 PM, justice98 said:

I liked it, didnt love it.  I knew a lot about the story going in and I didnt think the tone matched the reality of the story.  This movie shoulda been like Kill the Messenger, which really is the next chapter to this story.

But that was my idea, that you could really so a shared universe of based on a true story stories.  In this case, you could have 3, 4, 5 movies based on CIA drug trafficking. 

I agree, the reality of that story didn't match the tone.  But I kind of knew that going in and came away pleasantly surprised.  Kind of a different take on something like that story but it was still fun....and despite looking like nothing like Barry Seal, I think Cruise captured the essence of a guy who was a little too big for his britches but likable and adventurous.

That said, I'd like to see someone else take a more serious take on that story, or Jon Roberts.  I'll watch anything out of that Cocaine Cowboy era, no questions asked.

61a28098498312197e646d71b9de501a3d32f501

Set in a world where fantasy creatures live side by side with humans. A human cop is forced to work with an Orc to find a weapon everyone is prepared to kill for.

Ok I thought this movie looked like junk for a long time so maybe my expectations were really low going in, but I liked it. It was pretty entertaining.

The Orc/human relations and racism themes are a little heavy handed but still effective. I genuinely felt for the orc Jacoby in a lot of the situations he is in and Edgerton plays him well as the incorruptible and yet vulnerbale hero for us sympathize with. Will Smith is will smith. Aces 

The world isn’t fleshed out very well but it’s something they can expand upon a lot more in a sequel. They laid the groundwork for sure with the 2000 year history and the orcs, elves and other races interactions with humanity. 

I’m big on fantasy so think of end of  watch crossed into a fantasy world. It was fun and felt different. I’d like to see more 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

saw "Den of Thieves" yesterday.  Good movie.  A little different kind of heist movie.

Spoiler

The ending has a nice twist to it, that I didn't expect at all.  I don't know if that undermined the entire movie or not though.

I'll give the movie a solid B.  "12 Strong"  is next for me. 

Blade Runner 2049 -- wow! My movie of the year for 2017! Yep, better than Logan. And I'm not even going to mention that other certain sci-fi flick with huge expectations. In fact, take Rian Johnson, strap him down to a chair, and make him watch BR 2049 to get a clue on how to make a great sci-fi movie.

Dennis Villeneuve = the new Stanley Kubrick. Possibly the most visually gorgeous movie I have seen since 2001: Space Oddessy. And the

soundtrack! The visuals and soundtrack I give an A+. Sylvia Hoeks A+ for one of the best villains I have seen in a long time.

Overall I give the movie an A-. Not quite perfect, because it was a little long and the plot was a little tricky to follow at times, but those are only minor complaints.

A triumph, an absolute Sci-Fi classic, and a welcome addition to my Blu-Ray collection! 

Edited by Mournblade
  • Like 2