Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

I think you could read African American as "color" in regards to the Oscar nominations and why Elba was included in that discussion.

The president of the academy is an African American woman so I don't think it's intentional snubs, moreso lack of opportunities.

There is also a responsibility of the studio to push the movie as Oscar worthy and partake in the politics of it all which I have heard wasn't the case with Sony I believe and Creed. Concussion turned people off as pandering honestly with a topic many are tired of. Will Smith has been fairly acknowledged by the academy for deserving roles in the past.

That's what happened with Selma...the studio bigwigs even said so. They weren't looking at it as a strong Oscar contender and was lax on promoting it as such, until the movie kept getting standing ovations at theaters. Then they said "Oh, ****" and started trying to play catch up with the other movies that had been promoted much longer.

The Revenant - also really good and some very good acting, deserves best Director win imo: A-

Room - Brie Larson is VERY good, movie is rather tense in parts...good flick overall. Not worthy of the win, though: B

Got those two, anyway lol...

• Like 2

Cult classic! Some really classic lines too.

I found an incredible over-the-air station full of this stuff. Really helping me to not miss cable.

If you liked Buckaroo Banzai, check out Baron Munchausen. John Neville, Eric Idle, Robin Williams, and an 18 year-old Uma Thurman.

I only made it 20 seconds into that clip. That's all I needed to see to know I need to make sure I catch it if it's ever on. Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1

I found an incredible over-the-air station full of this stuff. Really helping me to not miss cable.

I only made it 20 seconds into that clip. That's all I needed to see to know I need to make sure I catch it if it's ever on.

Please tell us you have at least seen Big Trouble in Little China and/or Time Bandits.

• Like 2

Please tell us you have at least seen Big Trouble in Little China and/or Time Bandits.

I've seen Big Trouble in Little China, but I wasn't a big fan. Maybe because I went into it expecting something different. Have not yet seen Time Bandits, so that's one I'll have to catch at some point.

I was joking. It's terrible, but the girl that plays the Rocks daughter has one of the best racks you've ever seen. So there's that...

Actually watching it right now, this is a piece of ****.  But she's worth the price of admission.  Which is HBO Go.  Which I'm using my parents Cox cable account to log into.

Don't understand how an actor like Paul Giammatti gets involved here.  

Daddario though...ridiculous.

BEST MOVIES OFF THE RADAR 2015 IN THIS WEEK'S TOTAL RECALL, ROTTEN TOMATOES STAFF MEMBERS OFFER UP THEIR FAVORITE UNDERSEEN MOVIES OF THE YEAR.

In between all the Jurassic worlds, impossible missions, hunger games, and other fast, furious blockbusters, 2015 saw the release of hundreds of smaller films that fluttered in and out of just a few theaters and attracted a mere fraction of the audience. Some of them were hot garbage, to be sure, but some of them were more than worth the price of admission. With that in mind, we here on staff at Rotten Tomatoes have compiled a list of our favorite films from the past year that most folks either never had a chance to see or never even knew existed. Read on for our Off the Radar picks of 2015!

http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/best-movies-off-the-radar-2015/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_838734

Some solid flicks on that list, if you're feeling indie

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

Creed. So good.

Finally got around to seeing this. Certainly a good movie. Well cast and acted, with some wonderful nostalgia thrown in....

But, it lacked the critical ingredient to put it on par with Rocky I-IV. The villain was just not strong enough. Apollo, Clubber, Drago...these are the types of characters that really lift a movie like this and Creed just doesn't have it. Hell, Mason Dixon was a stronger adversary.

So, the movie falls a bit flat down the stretch. But, I did enjoy it.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 1

Thinking I should watch Spotlight.   I just don't feel like watching something so serious.  And while I know Ruffalo is a good actor, I find him annoying.

On the absolute other side of the spectrum....

I watched Roadhouse the other night and holy **** I love that movie.  I'm not claiming that it's fine cinema, it's a totally guilty pleasure but it has everything.  Swayze is great, the action is bad but still enjoyable.  Great bad guy who is easy to hate in Ben Gazzara, the great sidekick that's Sam Elliott... Kelly Lynch is a smokeshow and doesn't get in the way of the story too much.  The Jeff Healy Band.  All covered in copious amounts of cheese.  I absolutely love watching that movie.  

• Like 1

Saw Chiraq a few weeks ago. Probably Spike Lee's weirdest. It was okay. He tried too hard, IMO, but he got his point across. 80% of the dialogue in the film was rapped. It was cute but got annoying at times. And it's hard to take anything with Nick Cannon seriously.

Teyonnah Parrish is one of those pro-black, natural hair,nubian queens. Good god she had a body on her. Dayum.

Not a great movie, but it's definitely a thought-provoking Spike Lee joint. Black men in the hood have to do better, man :(

Saw Chiraq a few weeks ago. Probably Spike Lee's weirdest. It was okay. He tried too hard, IMO, but he got his point across. 80% of the dialogue in the film was rapped. It was cute but got annoying at times. And it's hard to take anything with Nick Cannon seriously.

Teyonnah Parrish is one of those pro-black, natural hair,nubian queens. Good god she had a body on her. Dayum.

Not a great movie, but it's definitely a thought-provoking Spike Lee joint. Black men in the hood have to do better, man :(

Chi-raq was perhaps the most obnoxious movie of recent memory. It was horrible. From the opening seconds, it's just a complete nuisance to the audience. Who the hell wants two minutes of rap lyrics plastered across a black screen before getting to any starting point in mise en scene? I guess Lee doesn't think his audience could gather the tracks message just by listening to it, despite the rhyme scheme not being overly complicated or brisk? Kinda insulting he felt the need to put the verses up there and a horrible way to get viewers invested in what is ultimately a visual medium.

I was annoyed by this film the second it started due to this. It had no focused tone; the thing wanted to be a modern adaptation of a Greek comedy yet the message it was preaching is a very serious one about a terrible epidemic in one of America's best cities. It's cool to take risks and try to make in essence a modern play on screen set with modern American issues but the mixed messages it sent just reaked of ego, trying hard (often failing) to display how clever Spike Lee is as an artist yet by doing so undermining the responsible  message he claims he is trying to relay by cartooning these real world issues.

I like many of Spike's other joints but hated this due to him going on every media outlet preaching the 'big brother' do better narrative to the black community yet making this thing a self-indulgent piece of garbage under the guise of artistic activism.

Chi-raq is trash

Edited by MondayNightCowboyKilla89
  • Like 1

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

OK, so It is MY TURN this weekend to pick the movie for the twice-monthly date with the wife.

So I picked DEADPOOL. And since i don't like to wait in lines, i bought my tickets for todays' 4:15 showing of DEADPOOL yesterday.

My tickets said DEADPOOL, theater 5.

So i get there about 345. Plenty of time to get some goobers and a soda and get in and see DEADPOOL.

But no,, the theater is not clean, so it is not seating yet, So my wife and I wait in the lobby to see DEADPOOL.

So we get in there at around 4:25 for the 415 showing of DEADPOOL, and they show us all the previews and what not, and people are still filing in around 445... and i'm thinking, all of these people were coming to see DEADPOOL, and came a half hour late to the movie?

And so the movie starts at almost 5 and it's not DEADPOOL, it's ****ing TINA GODDAM FEY.

Anyway, the movie was dull. Mix a chick flick and a bad war movie. 

So i claimed date-foul, and so next time it is MY TURN AGAIN, and goddammit, if they don't show me DEADPOOL, then the 17 yr old that is managing that place is going to get a piece of my mind.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2

Finally got around to seeing this. Certainly a good movie. Well cast and acted, with some wonderful nostalgia thrown in....

But, it lacked the critical ingredient to put it on par with Rocky I-IV. The villain was just not strong enough. Apollo, Clubber, Drago...these are the types of characters that really lift a movie like this and Creed just doesn't have it. Hell, Mason Dixon was a stronger adversary.

So, the movie falls a bit flat down the stretch. But, I did enjoy it.

Creed spoilers.....

Yeah, that's true, but that's what made me like it more. It wasn't plot driven as much—I woulda hated it if it was just a feel good underdog beats the champ. Because a) it's been done and B) it was highly unlikely since he had one registered boxing match to his name. 

I liked that there was some character development—Rocky deciding to fight. I liked how they dialed into the passage of time and how time is undefeated. 

• Like 1

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

OK, so It is MY TURN this weekend to pick the movie for the twice-monthly date with the wife.

So I picked DEADPOOL. And since i don't like to wait in lines, i bought my tickets for todays' 4:15 showing of DEADPOOL yesterday.

My tickets said DEADPOOL, theater 5.

So i get there about 345. Plenty of time to get some goobers and a soda and get in and see DEADPOOL.

But no,, the theater is not clean, so it is not seating yet, So my wife and I wait in the lobby to see DEADPOOL.

So we get in there at around 4:25 for the 415 showing of DEADPOOL, and they show us all the previews and what not, and people are still filing in around 445... and i'm thinking, all of these people were coming to see DEADPOOL, and came a half hour late to the movie?

And so the movie starts at almost 5 and it's not DEADPOOL, it's ****ing TINA GODDAM FEY.

Anyway, the movie was dull. Mix a chick flick and a bad war movie.

So i claimed date-foul, and so next time it is MY TURN AGAIN, and goddammit, if they don't show me DEADPOOL, then the 17 yr old that is managing that place is going to get a piece of my mind.

~Bang

That is strange for your start time and screen to be mixed up like that. Did it happen to anyone else during that screening?