Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lost a Friend today......

AsburySkinsFan

Today a friend of mine lost his life saving the life of his son after his son fell out of their boat. John III was out on the lake with his 9 year old son John Sallee IV (very good friends with my son) when little John was changing seat with his father just off shore, as he did little John fell into the water and big John tried to get him back into the boat but couldn't and either went into the water or fell in himself. They both began swimming to the shore but little John was having trouble and big John kept pushing him toward the dock where people were throwing life jackets out. Sadly as they pulled little John from the water big John went under and didn't come back up. About 6 hours later they were able to recover his body. Our town right now is in a state of shock, and having spent the afternoon with the family at UK Medical Center this all just feels like a dream to me.

Our church is just very stunned right now, and we're just praying for his wife Terri, daughter Emily, and little John; as well as for his mother and father. Big John's father works at the local funeral home and was the one who took his son to the funeral home.

He literally gave his own life to save his son's.....

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/news/amn-lincoln-man-drowns-trying-to-rescue-son-20111112,0,4082727.story

Cedar Creek Lake Saturday evening, about six hours after he jumped in to rescue his young son. Searchers found the body of John Sallee III about 5:45 p.m. Sallee was in a small boat near the boat ramp with his son, John Sallee IV, when the boy, 9, fell overboard about 11:50 a.m., said Lincoln County Emergency Management Director Don Gilliam.

Witnesses said the boy was able to make it to shore but his father disappeared beneath the water. People on the shore threw flotation devices toward the elder Sallee but he was not able to reach them, Gilliam said.

Full story at the link

So sorry to hear about your friend. It's hard to lose someone in the prime of their life, and so sorry for his family.

On another note, as a recent kayaker, I'd like to stress the importance of wearing personal flotation devices (PFDs). Even if one is going to be in sight of shore, they are essential for all persons in a boat. Please prevent these kinds of accidents.

Again, ASF, so sorry about John.

Very sorry, ASF, that's a terrible loss.

But your friend's family will need a lot of comforting now, and everything you've posted on this board suggests that you're the right man for the job.

So do what you do. Make your friend proud.

When you see him again, his gratitude will be boundless.

So terribly sorry for your loss, brother. I honestly don't even know what to say.

Please know that my heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with the family, with you, your son, and with all affected by this terrible loss. If there's anything at all I can do, or if you need an ear, you've got one any time. I'll be happy to send you my cell number if you'd like. Just PM me.

Archived