Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lost a Friend today......

AsburySkinsFan

Sorry to hear about the loss, for all the people involved.

Nothing can make the loss easier for those who are experiencing it, but my guess is if you had told Big John that some day he would give his life to save his son's he would have gladly accepted it and with the proud knowledge that he would give it for a worthy cause.

Again I am sorry for your loss.

I am so very sorry for this tragedy ASF, both for the family and congregation, but for you as his friend as well. I cant imaging what you all are going through today. I have added his family to our church's prayer list as well, and please know that I am available via PM if you need to unload at all.

So very sorry for this.

I want to thank everyone this morning for your prayers and all of your encouraging thoughts and wishes.

There wasn't much sleep found here last night, and the kids were kept very close. These next couple days are going to be extremely difficult here. For just about the first time in my life I'm trying to get my head around his death, trying in some way to make sense of it, all while my brain is telling me that I won't find any. I hurt so badly right now for little John, he and my son are so close, and yesterday the Sallee family was just so numb. I know in the years to come he will be able to appreciate the love his father showed, but right now all he really understands is that his daddy is gone. And as a father I just want that to go away......

We all really need your continued prayers through this week, our community is strong and close, so I know they will surround the Sallee family and love on them and care for them, but wow I'm just at a loss right now.

Please take solace in the fact that the father would not want to be the one to survive if only one would have. He gave his life for his son and I don't think any of us fathers would choose to have it the other way around. That is little comfort I know, but the man died a hero saving his son.

Praying that you say and do the right things to comfort them in this time of immeasurable suffering.

It was a good but very difficult worship service this morning, everyone is pretty much in a state of shock right now. I really just tried to exhort the congregation to love with their hugs, shoulders, ears, prayers and service to the Sallee family but really to try and refrain from offering spoken perspective on this tragedy.

I preached John 15:9-17, it just seemed so appropriate in so many ways.

“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command: Love each other.

Oh and I didn't even but together the connection between the name of the Gospel until just now...I hope that did appear tacky.

It was a good but very difficult worship service this morning, everyone is pretty much in a state of shock right now. I really just tried to exhort the congregation to love with their hugs, shoulders, ears, prayers and service to the Sallee family but really to try and refrain from offering spoken perspective on this tragedy.

I preached John 15:9-17, it just seemed so appropriate in so many ways.

Oh and I didn't even but together the connection between the name of the Gospel until just now...I hope that did appear tacky.

Your not driving the bus, just on for the ride. He is an amazing driver.

Thanks for the continued prayers everyone. Sadly this morning when I got to church there was prayer request for a former member of our church and a very well known and liked person in our town. He apparently fell from his tree stand 30 feet up and landed on a branch which impaled his abdomen. He's now in stable but critical condition at UK Med Center.

It's been a tough weekend here to be sure.

So sorry to hear about your friend. It's hard to lose someone in the prime of their life, and so sorry for his family.

On another note, as a recent kayaker, I'd like to stress the importance of wearing personal flotation devices (PFDs). Even if one is going to be in sight of shore, they are essential for all persons in a boat. Please prevent these kinds of accidents.

This thought also came to mind :(

This thought also came to mind :(

Yeah without a doubt, and for here that I guess is a perfectly valid discussion to have, but a group in my church this morning that started questioning the "why didn't they" issues to which I politely interrupted and said, "We can question the 1,000 different things that could have been done differently yesterday, but right now, none of that matters." I think that's the difference we have when we have emotional, and relational distance from a tragedy like this, for us though I really want us to concentrate on a pastoral and caring response over the critiques which come all to easily in these cases.

I did not want to post this when i read the article, but i will now. This story brought back some scary memories for me.

When i was about 11 or 12 years old (not exactly sure what year it was) i had a an anguishing scary experience. I was on a fishing trip with my father and 2 of his friends. We went to Wachapreague, Va on the eastern Shore. We rented a small flat bottom boat from a marina and planned on fishing and having a fun filled day on the water.

About mid morning i see a rather large charter boat in the distance coming around a bend in the waterway. We are anchored and fishing just sitting in our boat in a back bay type area. This charter boat is moving fast and for some reason i have a funny feeling in my gut. I keep my eye on it as it doesn't seem to be veering away from a path that would take it right at us. I tell my dad "look at that boat, does he see us?" He and his friends look up and reassure me that it's ok, he has to see us and will move. My dad and his friends go back to fishing, while i keep my eye on this charter boat. Well a few seconds later, the boat is still on a path right at us. I start to feel a little scared and raise my suspicion again to my dad. He looks up again at the charter boat and now he watches it for a second. A few seconds later he realizes this thing is coming right at us. My dad and his friends stand up and start shouting and waving their hands to get the boat captains attention. He doesn't see us.

With time running out and this boat within 20 yards of us, my father grabs me, holds onto me and jumps into the water to avoid being plowed over by this boat. I am under water and can hear the concussion of the charter boat ramming into our john boat. My father saved my life that day. Fortunately for us we all lived through this nightmare scenario.

Hearing how John was trying to save his son brought back some scary memories for me. John surely has a place in heaven right now. R.I.P.

Archived