Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DT:‘You mad bro?’ meme stirs racial tension at Ohio football game

Destino

you-mad-bro-625x416.png

Internet humor crossed over into the realm of the real world, and immediately started causing trouble this weekend, after a group of high schoolers held up a giant sign reading “You mad bro?” during a football game in Painesville, Ohio, on Friday night.

For the uninitiated, the phrase “you mad bro?” is a meme used primarily to incite anger in someone who’s already red in the face. It’s a classic troll tactic that’s been around for ages, at least online.

According to Fox 8 News, a group of students “and parents” from Kirtland High School held up a large sign decorated, with the words “You mad bro?,” which was directed at the opposing team, Painesville Harvey, who, of course, had just lost the game. Because the sign said “bro,” and because the majority of the Painesville Harvey players are black, some believed the sign was a racist statement.

“At the conclusion of the game, some of their students and parents put up a sign that we believe was racial intimidation, ethnic intimidation,” said Roderick Coffee, president of the local NAACP chapter, who also attended the game.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/you-mad-bro-meme-stirs-racial-tension-at-ohio-football-game/

"“At the conclusion of the game, some of their students and parents put up a sign that we believe was racial intimidation, ethnic intimidation,” said Roderick Coffee, president of the local NAACP chapter, who also attended the game. "

well, you're an idiot then.

Let me paraphrase: "This pissed us off. We decided they meant it as a racist insult, therefore it does. Punish them for insulting us."

Dear local NAACP chapter heads, this is why real racism is impossible to fight. Because you keep fighting imaginary racism to get attention. Please stop.

Sincerely,

Sane Americans.

"“At the conclusion of the game, some of their students and parents put up a sign that we believe was racial intimidation, ethnic intimidation,” said Roderick Coffee, president of the local NAACP chapter, who also attended the game. "

No word on the response from Painesville Harvey but I suspect they will make a sign of thier own:

comeAtMeBro_Big.png

or the more confusing

come-at-me-bro.jpg

Yep, once again proof positive that people would rather respond with a knee jerk reaction rather than to investigate whether their anger is rightly justified.

If they had just taken a second to see what it was really about they would have realized that the other team's fans were in fact internet trolls saving them the embarrassment of stumbling into falsely accusing them of being racists which in turn makes themselves look foolish.

Seriously? You people can't understand how this could offend African Americans? The use of the term has obvious implications in black culture that ...

Sorry, I can't do it. There's no way that's offensive in any way. That's just dopey.

I think the last paragraph of the article says it best:

Of course, anyone who’s spent much time commenting on any number of websites knows that the “You mad bro?” meme, or any of its variations, has nothing to do with race, whatsoever. Is it insensitive and unsportsmanlike? Absolutely. Trolls are, by their very nature, insensitive. That’s what makes them trolls, online or off. Should there be an investigation? Sure — especially since it’s likely to end with stuffy school administrators having to sift through the hilarious filth of 4chan, which would make this whole saga possibly the greatest troll ever concocted.

No racist connotation for me, but isn't taunting the other team expressly forbidden in high school sports?

How about some class and sportsmanship?

QFT, and if it isn't forbidden it should be, but there will always be idiots in youth sports...and by that I don't mean playing the sports, but instead watching them.

Fans and parents responsible should have been ejected. :)

It was postgame.....so in effect they were all ejected.

Archived