Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Concerns about Orakpo

Lar0n Landry

He was a rookie last year. Mid season teams were game planning against him. They are continuing to game plan against him. If anything since he is drawing double teams and chip shots from the RB's we should be worried bout our left side. If Orakpo is drawing the doubleteams our left side needs to step up. I agree with what others said, Orakpo def isn't a problem.... he def has room for improvement but every player on every team can.

Orakpo and Jarmon are legit pass rushing DEs. Unfortunately, they both aren't being used effectively. Add numerous holding calls that aren't called results in the misperception that he ineffective.

In today's game, he was held 5 times for no penalty calls.

Orakpo is doing fantastic. Yes, he is held nearly EVERY play, and yes "elite" pass-rushers DO find a way to be the holds, but it's his 2nd season, and he didn't have to deal with teams knowing he's a beast last year, so he didn't have all the holds. Just give him some time, he's already won us one game on the last play, literally single-handedly. He's still got 2 sacks this season, and once he figures out how to beat the hold move that everyone keeps using on him, he'll be unstoppable.

I actually think he's doing 10xs better than he did last year. I have seen, maybe a handfull of plays where he ISN'T being held blatantly. The biggest sign is that refs don't like to call holds, it's always been that way (especially on the last play of a game where the outcome is decided by the penalty) yet the refs have called multiple holding plays per game on the guys guarding Rak. That in and of itself is a HUGE win, eventually people will stop holding, or they're going to have to find a way to stop him without holding because the more apparent it is that the opposite team is going to hold him, the more the refs are going to call it until teams begin to lay off or double/triple team him.

Anyone who would start this thread never looks at the play going on at the line of scrimmage....you must be paying attention to the qb, rb, and wr at all times. That's what wives and girlfriends who don't watch football do at Super Bowl parties. Orakpo gets held one out of three to four plays and not just held and let go...he gets damn near tackled or bear hugged. If the Skins had comparable lineman or lb's who demanded more attention, he'd get the numbers....please refer to last year when he played in a 4-3 scheme (that I hated by the way) where he and his fellow bookend got 11 sacks a piece on the year.

Orakpo is impossible to defend as he attacks on every play. Smart linemen are going to do everything that they can to slow him down and that includes holding him. They don't have a choice. Get used to it under this team's version of the 3-4 this year. Until they get the right personnel in there, he won't see the big numbers.

Without reading this thread, Im going to venture to guess the educated fans on this site have sufficiently jumped in to explain to this nimrod that Orakpo was disruptive the entire game, and drew holding penalties on anyone who was assigned (namely Peters) the entire game?

That's an exaggeration...Orakpo had 2 tackles...which happened to be on the same drive midway through the 4th quarter. Other than that, and the 2 holding calls, he was largely invisible. Not to say he won't one day be a great player, but today he was pedestrian. If he's getting the opportunity to rush more than last season, he should be making a greater impact in the run defense...which he really isn't.

STOP!! Orakpo is a MONSTER!! The reason you don't see the big plays from him is that we have ZERO PUSH UP THE MIDDLE. QB's can just step up in the pocket because we aren't collapsing it. Kevin Friggin Kolb was able to step up in the pocket to avoid the outside rush several times.

Shanahan nees to stop with the ego B.S. with Haynesworth. Fat Albert is the only player capable of creating pressure up the middle, but he's never on the field. It's a travesty that our best D-Linemen never plays.

With this defense? I'd take a loss of down over 1st and 30. Plus, a sack puts a hit on a QB, carries the possibility of a strip, and a near sack might lead to an INT.

Maybe Orakpo doesn't have the wingspan to consistently get free. Maybe that's why they converted him to a linebacker, because he looks more like a LB.

With this defense? I'd take a loss of down over 1st and 30. Plus, a sack puts a hit on a QB, carries the possibility of a strip, and a near sack might lead to an INT.

Maybe Orakpo doesn't have the wingspan to consistently get free. Maybe that's why they converted him to a linebacker, because he looks more like a LB.

Wow.

I can't believe that people are claiming to know a thing about football and in ANY way criticizing our best defensive player.

He hasn't impressed me either. He has no speed and it does look like he runs with a stick up his ass. Could be that he is too muscular or he is hurt or something. Just haven't been impressed with his play.

WOW. Are the people here truly that idiotic? You sound like ryman or something. The guy is held WAAAAYYYY more than is called, he beats the tackle to the edge consistently, but rarely gets called for the hold.

i don't awant to be mr doom and gloom after a W, but Orakpo hasn't impressed me at all this season and he was 1 on 1 vs Peters all day and not once did he generate pressure. For all the hype he gets he sure doesn't make very many impact plays. If it wasn' for that 4 sack game against the Raiders last year i think more poeple would realize how non impressive he actually is.

sure he will get a sack every other 3 games, but they are meaningless sacks and not at crucial points in the game and he doesn't make game impacting plays. Also he is terrible in space. pretty sad that Kevin Kolb can outrun him with ease.

I just don't understand the hype this guy gets when he isn't that good of player. he is a pure pass rusher and he isn't even good at doing that that on a consistent basis. again, 1 on 1 all game and not a single sack or even pressure on Kolb. yes he was held twice but great pass rushers get sacks and pressure even when held.

Stick to Madden.

i don't awant to be mr doom and gloom after a W, but Orakpo hasn't impressed me at all this season and he was 1 on 1 vs Peters all day and not once did he generate pressure. For all the hype he gets he sure doesn't make very many impact plays. If it wasn' for that 4 sack game against the Raiders last year i think more poeple would realize how non impressive he actually is.

sure he will get a sack every other 3 games, but they are meaningless sacks and not at crucial points in the game and he doesn't make game impacting plays. Also he is terrible in space. pretty sad that Kevin Kolb can outrun him with ease.

I just don't understand the hype this guy gets when he isn't that good of player. he is a pure pass rusher and he isn't even good at doing that that on a consistent basis. again, 1 on 1 all game and not a single sack or even pressure on Kolb. yes he was held twice but great pass rushers get sacks and pressure even when held.

Not sure if you actually understood what you where watching.

Archived