Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Concerns about Orakpo

Lar0n Landry

WTF @ this topic. God damn ES finds a way to complain about everything. Orakpo is one of the best players on our team

Absolutely. Rak has two sacks as well. That's not leading the league, but that's something better than others have, and he IS creating pressure. And, of course, that's nothing to say of the holding penalties that get called -- and the numerous others that don't -- that posters have commented about.

Orakpo is a beast, but that doesnt detract from the fact that there is always room for improvement. I think what 99% of the people are saying here might also be a part of the problem. He gets held a lot. Or more precisely, perhaps he allows himself to get held...I believe there are techniques that he can learn to be more fluid and elusive so that defenders cant get a hold of him so easily. Getting held a) does not always generate pressure B) does not lead to a loss of down and/or intimidates the QB and c) depends on the ref's spotting it. Whether he needs to run low so that they cant grab him or be more elusive, I def think there is room for improvement.

Holding can be called on just about every play of every game around the NFL. Above average pass rushers get held all the time. The complaining about uncalled holding penalties is pointless; it's been this way for a long time. You're only noticing it now because you have someone worth consistently holding.

How about this for improvement? Revert back to the 4-3 and let him put his hand in the dirt every down. Having him cover people is just complete inanity.

As long as we have Andre Carter and are one short on a LB Brian Orakpo's hand will not go in the dirt. Besides I think having a a DL with two guys who are physically DE/LB hybrid size would make for very poor run defense

Wow hate to beat the hell out of a dead horse,but he gets held on practically every play.

I would much rather have a sack over a hold anyday though.A sack is a loss of yards and a down.(1st and 10,sack for a loss of 6=second and 16.1st and 10 with a hold=1st and 20.)

Plus gets into the QB's head.Creates momentum.Take away the holds and this thread is never created.

Some of you are too obsessed with stats...as always. Like the Steelers Defensive coordinator said just last week...you don't necessarily have to sack the Qb....just pressure him. Orakpo has done just that and he's forced mistakes by the opposing team's O-line. So yes...he is an impact player

Matthews looks better than Orakpo. I guess there's no shame in it, but I really think the difference between them is that Matthews seems more flexible in his rush and gets really good leverage to get around (and avoid holding.) I sometimes think that Orakpo would be better with his hand down and then forcing himself, kinda, to start a bit lower.

yesif he doesnt start developing some speed moves he will not become anything more than solid, we dont need a solid, we need a spectacular.

He's developing some moves. We have to remember the transition from 4-3 end, to 4-3 olb, to 3-4 olb is going to affect his technique and aresnal of moves. I saw him try a spin move today hopefully it's something he continues to work on and develop.

He's developing some moves. We have to remember the transition from 4-3 end, to 4-3 olb, to 3-4 olb is going to affect his technique and aresnal of moves. I saw him try a spin move today hopefully it's something he continues to work on and develop.

You mean, we should hae maybe kept the 4-3 to cater to the talents of our best and youngest defensive player? So instead we try to change them.

Christ, this has been a disaster. Orakpo is a great athlete but he's not really fluid. He'd be best at DE.

You mean, we should hae maybe kept the 4-3 to cater to the talents of our best and youngest defensive player? So instead we try to change them.

Christ, this has been a disaster. Orakpo is a great athlete but he's not really fluid. He'd be best at DE.

Hello. Seems obvious to everyone except the Redskins.

thats preaching to the choir my friend.

the problem is that some coaches dont look at skillsets they see prototype size combined with athleticism and rather than think "that player has a great combo of size and speed for the position he plays" they think " I bet I can MAKE that player into a different player." ala Carter and Rak who are both slightly undersized for 4-3 DE but have great speed and strength for their size.

Archived