Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Concerns about Orakpo

Lar0n Landry

Now, about being held.

Yes, Orakpo is being held but its his job to stop people from holding.

His offseason focus needs to be based on improving in that area.

Take some martial arts, boxing, mma or whatever.

To become an elite pass rusher (which I think he can become) he's gonna have to get more violent with his hands.

When those OL go to grab or hold him he needs to judo chop their arm off.

easier said then done given how huge an OT's arms are.

but I too noticed, especially in the photos, that Orakpo has his inside arm holding the outside of the OT's arm. I agree some mma or even jujitsu training will help him get his inside arm up quicker and deflect the OT arm hold. He has been improving in the 3-4, and I do feel as the rest of the defense grows also, he'll get moved around more (he started to as the season wore on last year) and his game will take a nice jump upwards. Seems a bunch of people don't realize he's on the same pace as most of the elite pass rushers, and that pass rushing is only 1 aspect of his role in the 3-4.

Orakpo is one of the most held players in the league....

---------- Post added May-4th-2012 at 10:39 PM ----------

easier said then done given how huge an OT's arms are.

but I too noticed, especially in the photos, that Orakpo has his inside arm holding the outside of the OT's arm. I agree some mma or even jujitsu training will help him get his inside arm up quicker and deflect the OT arm hold. He has been improving in the 3-4, and I do feel as the rest of the defense grows also, he'll get moved around more (he started to as the season wore on last year) and his game will take a nice jump upwards. Seems a bunch of people don't realize he's on the same pace as most of the elite pass rushers, and that pass rushing is only 1 aspect of his role in the 3-4.

But, sometimes it's a defensive strategy to mock pressure and bring it from other side the Redskins do it alot to take advantages of mismatches in the middle.

---------- Post added May-4th-2012 at 10:44 PM ----------

You think DeMarcus Ware doesn't get held? Jared Allen? Tamba Hali?

Give me a break. Orakpo needs to adapt and up his game.

I don't understand this, the guy has done nothing but work for the Redskins, respect him for his hard work and dedication to the game.

I don't understand this, the guy has done nothing but work for the Redskins, respect him for his hard work and dedication to the game.

We didn't draft him at 13th overall to be a nice guy. We drafted him to be a game changer. He shows flashes, but has technical limitations that have been exploited by high caliber offensive linemen.

I respect Orakpo's hard work and effort. But he needs to adapt and up his game.

We didn't draft him at 13th overall to be a nice guy. We drafted him to be a game changer. He shows flashes, but has technical limitations that have been exploited by high caliber offensive linemen.

I respect Orakpo's hard work and effort. But he needs to adapt and up his game.

What "technical limitations" ??

"Higher caliber" offensive linemen grabbing him around the neck and holding him is not being exploited... they're beat plain and simple and know they will rarely get called for it, so why not grab him around the neck?

What "technical limitations" ??

"Higher caliber" offensive linemen grabbing him around the neck and holding him is not being exploited... they're beat plain and simple and know they will rarely get called for it, so why not grab him around the neck?

Every elite pass rusher gets held. Some around the neck, some by the jersey, some around the waist, it depends on technique. Yet you still see guys like Ware and Allen rack up the sacks. Orakpo is good, but he can be better.

Every elite pass rusher gets held. Some around the neck, some by the jersey, some around the waist, it depends on technique. Yet you still see guys like Ware and Allen rack up the sacks. Orakpo is good, but he can be better.

I agree Orakpo can be better. I think his relative lack of production is a combination of being held, not having enough opportunities since we've been playing from behind or with a close lead a lot of time, and a lack of use of his hands.

Yes he gets held and that hurts him, but regardless he needs to use his hands more and develop more pass rushing moves if he's going to be considered an elite pass rusher, something he obviously has the potential to be.

Orakpo is one of the most held players in the league....

I respect the guy and am glad he's a Redskin but I'm tired of reading about him getting held like it's a league wide conspiracy against him. Every player gets held, Orakpo no more than others but the greats still rack up sacks. He's an above average player but far from elite and it's not the officials holding him back.

I respect the guy and am glad he's a Redskin but I'm tired of reading about him getting held like it's a league wide conspiracy against him. Every player gets held, Orakpo no more than others but the greats still rack up sacks. He's an above average player but far from elite and it's not the officials holding him back.

He actually does get held more than most. (or at least generates the call)

Brian Orakpo and Wake tied for the league lead in 2010 with nine apiece. Orakpo had seven this year and was tied for second with underrated Oakland defensive lineman Lamarr Houston.

Sometimes I wonder if the "Orakpo needs to learn another move" crowd actually pay attention and watch him when he plays.

If he's not getting held, then usually he's getting double teamed. If he needs to work on anything, it's not "learning another move", but using his hands better. He bull rushes like a beast, he'll start outside and then cut back in, he'll take you around the edge with speed. He just has to learn how to better use his hands.

I've seriously though about starting up some sort of fan fund to pay for boxing lessons for dude.

The "Rak needs to learn another move" crowd tends to ignore the fact that he is one of the most held players out. It doesn't matter though. If he was getting 15 sacks a year there would still be people complaining because he wasn't getting 20+. I'm other words they would find something to ***** about.

I pay attention to Orakpo. I've paid attention to him every game since he's been in the league, since I've watched every single game since he's been in the league.

Yeah, he's good. Yeah, he gets held a lot. But he disappears for stretches of games and he gets neutralized by double teams. That's something that just plain doesn't happen to elite pass rushers.

So yeah, given his physical tools and his draft position, I think he needs to up his game. Why can't he be as good as Wade or Allen?

And for the record, like any real football fan, I don't give a **** about sacks. I care about disruptive plays. So if he got 15 sacks a year but sucked ass like a Chinese monkey zoologist against the run, then, yeah, I'd probably still complain, because we didn't draft him to be a third down rusher.

I pay attention to Orakpo. I've paid attention to him every game since he's been in the league, since I've watched every single game since he's been in the league.

Yeah, he's good. Yeah, he gets held a lot. But he disappears for stretches of games and he gets neutralized by double teams. That's something that just plain doesn't happen to elite pass rushers.

So yeah, given his physical tools and his draft position, I think he needs to up his game. Why can't he be as good as Wade or Allen?

And for the record, like any real football fan, I don't give a **** about sacks. I care about disruptive plays. So if he got 15 sacks a year but sucked ass like a Chinese monkey zoologist against the run, then, yeah, I'd probably still complain, because we didn't draft him to be a third down rusher.

That's funny because Ware and Allen aren't really that good against the run.

That's funny because Ware and Allen aren't really that good against the run.

Are they Chinese monkey zoologist?

Archived