Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Concerns about Orakpo

Lar0n Landry

Dude, we lost by ****ing 30 points. Of course Orakpo played poorly. The entire team played like crap. But Orakpo is still one of the last guys anyone should worry about. He's one of the few talented young players we have to build around.

Orakpo had a solid game. I wouldn't really say the same about anyone else on the defense although Lorenzo's effort was mostly positive. I think Carter made a couple of good plays too.

Orakpo is held...EVERY...SINGLE...PLAY. Watch the first TD. 2 full seconds of holding. He never gets the call, and he never complains about it. He never gives up on plays. He is one of the few players on this team that I can honestly say I'm proud to have. This thread should have been closed forever ago.

I thought the d-line put in a solid effort (at least in the first half; I went to bed at halftime). They were collapsing the pocket on a fairly regular basis. They simply could not catch Vick. I can't fault them for that. It's as big a physical mismatch as you're going to find in this league. That said, the secondary needs some serious work. Deangelo straight sucks. Carlos's cover skills are beginning to mimic his catching skills. Buchanan is a bum, and Kareem Moore has been out of position on almost every big play we've given up since he came back.

Haynesworth, Orakpo, Torain, McNabb, T Williams, Landry, Armstrong, Banks, Davis, Fletcher, Alexander, Gano. Everyone else can and probably should go.

another disappearing act by Orakpo. that's back 2 back games now. I tried to to people he's overrated, only has a 1 meaningless sack every couple of games and people think he's a beast or something. when the lights are on and someone needs to make a play he's nowhere to be found.

You're full of ****. Orakpo was very active last night and had a season high 8 tackles. Do you watch the games or just look at the box score at the end of the night?

Was it just me or was Orakpo blatanly held on the first play, right in front of Vick and the refs? How was that missed?

The OL isn't going to get called for holding much if he keeps his arms inside the frame of his body.

The OL has him (and holds him), but than as Orakpo starts to get away from him and the offensive line mans arms start to extend, he lets Orakpo go. If he doesn't let go as the arm extends, then he'd get called for holding.

Orakpo has to learn how to not let the OL get his hands on him or how to knock them down.

The OL isn't going to get called for holding much if he keeps his arms inside the frame of his body.

The OL has him (and holds him), but than as Orakpo starts to get away from him and the offensive line mans arms start to extend, he lets Orakpo go. If he doesn't let go as the arm extends, then he'd get called for holding.

Orakpo has to learn how to not let the OL get his hands on him or how to knock them down.

Yeah but to me it looked like he was getting grabbed on his shoulderpads, outside his frame.

another disappearing act by Orakpo. that's back 2 back games now. I tried to to people he's overrated, only has a 1 meaningless sack every couple of games and people think he's a beast or something. when the lights are on and someone needs to make a play he's nowhere to be found.

other than the FF/sack on Peyton...

...and the 3rd down sack of Aaron Rodgers.

bottom line is that over the past decade, pass rushers have been possibly the hardest commodities to find in the draft. Mario Williams is a beast, and same goes for Clay Matthews, Ware, etc.

but, as I pointed out earlier in this thread i think, what about jamaal anderson? gaines adams (rip)? the bust rate of DEs/pass rushing OLBs has been pretty high.

the redskins found a guy at 13 who put up 11 sacks his rookie year and has 7 through 9 games so far in his 2nd year. did he get 4 sacks in a virtually meaningless game last year? yeah, but im pretty sure Bills fans wouldnt mind seeing Aaron Maybin getting some cheap stats right now.

Orakpo is still raw and will improve in the pass rush as he gains experience, but to say that he hasnt made any bigtime plays this year is simply not true. also, i think his play against the run has improved big time over the past 2-3 games.

Worst. thread. ever. Orakpo is a bright spot on this team, and emblematic of what this team needs more of: young, fast, strong and hungry players with talent.

Exactly. It's silly that, after we lose a game by 30 points, someone decides to bump a thread to bash one of the few talented young players we have.

I guess some people would rather keep trading draft picks for 30+ year old declining players.

• 1 year later...

Not sure why I can't create a thread, so I apologize for bumping up an old topic; this thread title matched what I wanted to discuss.

I'm a huge Rak fan and I was ecstatic when we drafted him, but I have to say I am quite disappointed in him. I know many people have mentioned his limited repertoire of pass rush moves, and that may be the reason, but he just doesn't seem to be very effective this year reaching the QB. It seems like he is always 2 seconds late to getting to the QB.

Anyone else the slightest bit worried about him? I expected his production to increase with Kerrigan's play this year.

Not sure why I can't create a thread, so I apologize for bumping up an old topic; this thread title matched what I wanted to discuss.

Anyone else the slightest bit worried about him? I expected his production to increase with Kerrigan's play this year.

Only topics get started on gamedays as threads, ie official ES Lber discussion thread, to keep the board clean

Interior push? Sophomore slump? System fail? I don't know but it probably is a combination of factors.

He's a good player, not a great player. A lot of tackles are able to handle him one on one. Most of the double teams this year have been reserved for Kerrigan. He's a total liability against the run. He just hasn't developed much at the pro level.

People that actually watch the game know this.

I think he made a huge tackle against Peterson today. Not saying that makes him live up to the hype, I've got a bad habit of watching the ball and miss all the LB and line play, so I can't say much. However, I know that all the players I hear being interviewed fear Rak and Kerrigan. That must mean something.

He's a good player, not a great player. A lot of tackles are able to handle him one on one. Most of the double teams this year have been reserved for Kerrigan. He's a total liability against the run. He just hasn't developed much at the pro level.

Actually his run defense has improved tremendously, as has his coverage. In fact, one of the reasons his sack #s aren't as high this year is because a lot of times, he's out covering and doing a pretty damn good job of it too.

He may not be developing his pass rush but the rest of his game is definitely progressing. He's turning into a more well rounded OLB.

I actually watch the games, and most of the double teams have gone to Orakpo's side. It's no coincidence that Bowen and Kerrigan have produced as they haven't had to deal with double teams as much. It's also why Orakpo gets held so much, because he is explosive off the snap. He isn't far off of Ware's production in the same amount of games at the start of the career. Orakpo needs to continue to develop his moves to where he can break off those blocks before they become holds.

Jared Allen, for example, didn't consistently post double digit sacks seasons until his 4th year, and he didn't have to deal with a switch to a 3-4 nor have no offseason or camp in his 2nd season in the new system.

I watch all the games obviously, and most of the time when a back stays in to block he's on Orakpo's side. I've also found that typically when people use the line "people who actually watch the game" as a qualifier for a negative opinion, typically are exaggerating their opinion along with that exaggerated qualifier. Pretty much everyone on this site watches Skins games.

I swear, for as much as people complain about Snyder's impatience, a bunch seem to exhibit that same trait. Tell me, since most seem to only be down on Orakpo when we lose, how did the rest of the team fare in pass rushing today? Actually, I'll tell you. We sacked the QB twice today. Once came from a Carriker, Fletcher combo. Carriker plays on Orakpo's side. Riley, who plays next to Orakpo, had the other sack. So maybe when Orakpo isn't getting there he possibly is freeing up others to do so?

Redskins are tied for 9th in sacks out of all NFL teams. Orakpo is 2nd in sacks on the team. So he must be doing something right.

As far as run D goes, "people who actually watch the games" can observe that he's improved in that category, and in coverage, each season. Maybe we give him a little more time, seeing as this is only year 3, w/ a screwed up offseason due to league negotiations, and it's only his 2nd season in the 3-4 before we start exaggerating the negatives in his play. Let's show some support and belief in our own players, instead of trying to ride every single one out of town that isn't the absolute best at their position from day one. I mean, we had fans that even were exaggerating Sean Taylor's negatives in '06 and saying stupid crap like he was an immature knucklehead who wouldn't live up to his potential. Maybe if players know their fanbase supports them, instead of dogging them at the first signs of struggle, then they could have a better chance to overcome.

We Redskins fans demand consistency from players, so we should stay consistent in our support. How can we expect players to overcome difficulties when the fanbase would rather dog them for it instead of supporting them through it?

---------- Post added December-25th-2011 at 12:43 AM ----------

I think he made a huge tackle against Peterson today. Not saying that makes him live up to the hype, I've got a bad habit of watching the ball and miss all the LB and line play, so I can't say much. However, I know that all the players I hear being interviewed fear Rak and Kerrigan. That must mean something.

Their opponents watch the game tape and study them. Fans don't have access to that. True opponents will at times talk up who they're playing against, but their comments still hold merit when collectively they all echo the same sentiments.

I actually watch the games, and most of the double teams have gone to Orakpo's side. It's no coincidence that Bowen and Kerrigan have produced as they haven't had to deal with double teams as much. It's also why Orakpo gets held so much, because he is explosive off the snap. He isn't far off of Ware's production in the same amount of games at the start of the career. Orakpo needs to continue to develop his moves to where he can break off those blocks before they become holds.

Jared Allen, for example, didn't consistently post double digit sacks seasons until his 4th year, and he didn't have to deal with a switch to a 3-4 nor have no offseason or camp in his 2nd season in the new system.

I watch all the games obviously, and most of the time when a back stays in to block he's on Orakpo's side. I've also found that typically when people use the line "people who actually watch the game" as a qualifier for a negative opinion, typically are exaggerating their opinion along with that exaggerated qualifier. Pretty much everyone on this site watches Skins games.

I swear, for as much as people complain about Snyder's impatience, a bunch seem to exhibit that same trait. Tell me, since most seem to only be down on Orakpo when we lose, how did the rest of the team fare in pass rushing today? Actually, I'll tell you. We sacked the QB twice today. Once came from a Carriker, Fletcher combo. Carriker plays on Orakpo's side. Riley, who plays next to Orakpo, had the other sack. So maybe when Orakpo isn't getting there he possibly is freeing up others to do so?

Redskins are tied for 9th in sacks out of all NFL teams. Orakpo is 2nd in sacks on the team. So he must be doing something right.

As far as run D goes, "people who actually watch the games" can observe that he's improved in that category, and in coverage, each season. Maybe we give him a little more time, seeing as this is only year 3, w/ a screwed up offseason due to league negotiations, and it's only his 2nd season in the 3-4 before we start exaggerating the negatives in his play. Let's show some support and belief in our own players, instead of trying to ride every single one out of town that isn't the absolute best at their position from day one. I mean, we had fans that even were exaggerating Sean Taylor's negatives in '06 and saying stupid crap like he was an immature knucklehead who wouldn't live up to his potential. Maybe if players know their fanbase supports them, instead of dogging them at the first signs of struggle, then they could have a better chance to overcome.

We Redskins fans demand consistency from players, so we should stay consistent in our support. How can we expect players to overcome difficulties when the fanbase would rather dog them for it instead of supporting them through it?

Very well said.. Was nodding my head in agreement throughout the entire read lol.

Then we're not watching the same games. I'm not saying he never gets double teamed, that would be incorrect, but he is not double teamed nearly as much as Kerrigan. Is it possible that the backs coming out in pass plays are chipping Rak more? Perhaps but too many times this season he has been handled one on one by a single O-lineman. Any you may be right, he still has time to develop more into a Jared Allen or Ware but to this point, it hasn't happened. He just hasn't developed like we thought he would. I hope he does though because it's obvious he cares about this team.

Archived