Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Concerns about Orakpo

Lar0n Landry

Agree he gets mugged quite often, but needs to change his technique up a bit. He likes to try and grab and throw and gets tangled up (like above) and hard to tell who is holding who.

he gets into their framework to knock them back, and is fast enough to get around them, which he does fairly often, and the T ALWAYS grabs him around the neck like in that picture. His job is to beat the T, and he does that.. just gets held an AWFUL lot and rarely gets the call he should be getting.

he gets into their framework to knock them back, and is fast enough to get around them, which he does fairly often, and the T ALWAYS grabs him around the neck like in that picture. His job is to beat the T, and he does that.. just gets held an AWFUL lot and rarely gets the call he should be getting.

I agree he gets held, but he has got to learn to use his hands better and not let Olineman get into his body. Hopefully, this year we will see some calls going his way

Apperently it could be more clear since he is not getting the calls. ;)

Or about 90% of the refs in the NFL need to be fired. I hate all the bickering about if the Comish is ruining the game by making it too soft and then you see pics like the one I'm talking about and there was no call. That's what is ruining the game.

I think the problem with Orakpo not getting calls is because that's what normally happens. Since the precedent has been set, he's not gonna get a whole lot of calls. If he changes his technique a little bit he might have more success because this way is not working as well as we'd hope.

Or about 90% of the refs in the NFL need to be fired. I hate all the bickering about if the Comish is ruining the game by making it too soft and then you see pics like the one I'm talking about and there was no call. That's what is ruining the game.

I agree Bubba, but since there is no chance that 90% of the crappy refs are gettng the boot, might as well consider altering some technique to see if it helps. Hopefully it will. The NFL will be two hand touch soon anyhow so it may not matter.

I think that changing his technique stuff is crap, he is clearly beating the tackles, everyone of them has a arm around his neck. I don't see how much more clear cut it could be for the refs who are seemingly blind to everything, especially the line judge and the referee who are both normally right there behind the qb and at the line of scrimmage.

orakpoheld1210a.jpg

orakpoheld1210b.jpg

Alex+Barron+Brian+Orakpo+Tony+Romo.jpg

orakpoholding1010b.jpg

JN2_9964A_1324244340.jpg

orakpotexanshold910.jpg

Thank you Martytheman, I was about to post the same thing. He could use another move or two, but the only technique he needs to change in those pics is putting a spiked collar around his neck.

yeah, it's not like he maybe has them beat... he's already around them and they grab him around the neck. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's just infuriating how often it happens, and how BLATANT it is, and nothing gets done about it.

Sucks.

People need to stop whining about the holds.

They're happening. They're not being called. Yes, it's unfair, but Orakpo needs to adapt to it. Crying about it isn't getting him more sacks.

Ok...so when you do your job, beat the tackle, he grabs you and pulls you down, exactly how are you supposed to adapt to that? And I'm not crying, just stating the rather blatant fact that he is held often.

Agree he gets mugged quite often, but needs to change his technique up a bit. He likes to try and grab and throw and gets tangled up (like above) and hard to tell who is holding who.

This is my concern with Orakpo and have heard several others voice it too. The man needs some new moves. He runs right into the close line hold and never gets the call. One would think he would start to switch it up.... but then again i will say that my concerns with Orakpo are about a position i admittedly know not too much about (Chalk talk-wise).

It's about star status. The more Orakpo gets his face out there and gets to be a bigger star, the more of the calls he'll draw. As he keeps playing he will improve as well, but we all know stars get the calls.
I disagree. He gets held like this on literally every pass play. If the refs called it, the other team would have a 1st down every play, 1st and 10, 20, 30, 40, 50..... I think they decided to call it every once and awhile. Ware gets held like this also, difference is he gets a flag at least once per game. Orakpo? About every third game. If it happens on every pass play, and they don't call it, that indicates to me that there has been a conscious decision to ignore it. We lost the TB game 2 years ago because the ref ate the flag. On the long TD pass, Orakpo would have had a sack and forced fumble if he hadn't been rock bottom'd.

I'd wager that 90 percent or more of the NFL has used or still uses PEDs of some sort.

No question. We have players like Santana getting popped for this and its not even a big deal.

First I want to be clear I have no concerns about Orakpo other then it would be nice to get him more pass rush opportunities.

When you compare # of pass rush chances to # of sacks Rak is amoung the best in the NFL (so is Kerrigan).

Now, about being held.

Yes, Orakpo is being held but its his job to stop people from holding.

His offseason focus needs to be based on improving in that area.

Take some martial arts, boxing, mma or whatever.

To become an elite pass rusher (which I think he can become) he's gonna have to get more violent with his hands.

When those OL go to grab or hold him he needs to judo chop their arm off.

I am fully on Orakpo's side here... However, if this crap is just going to keep happening (and not get called), does he have any options from a technique standpoint? I know very little about the position, but it seems like if he can anticipate the clothesline, maybe he could used that left hand to minimize the effect?

If it were me, I'd hire a dude (ex-player or whatever) to practice defending against. Work exclusively on evading or knocking aside the extended arm. I say hire a guy because coaches would probably frown on their tackles essentially practicing a hold. :)

Anyway, if he finds a way to minimize all the holding (although it's BS since it should be called) he'd likely burgeon into an elite pass-rusher, something all of us want to see. He could almost singlehandedly take this D to the next level.

Archived