Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Concerns about Orakpo

Lar0n Landry

I am sure Dallas fans are all worried about Ware due to his poor performance with a "ROOKIE" in the season opener.....

Ware had a sack and 6 tackles against us...until Orakpo consistently is disrupting pass and run plays in addition to causing turnovers, there's really no comparison between the two.

I dont know what games you guys have been watching but Orakpo has been a monster thus far. He gets held on nearly every play. I think he leads the league in forcing holding penalties. He had like 2 or 3 today, a sack last week, and like 3 or 4 combined against Dallas and Houston

EVERYONE GETS HELD!! This is not an excuse for Rak not making game changing plays. Now I disagree with the OP because I dont think Rak is overrated. But I do believe that he is not maximizing his potential because he only has 2 moves. A bull rush and a speed rush wont make you elite unless you can do it in crucial times of games. Rak has failed to do this so far. But he is still one of our best players behind Fletcher, and Landry. He's still very young and raw so I certainly see the potential, but he needs to diversify his rush arsenal to truly make him great.

You cannot prevent or better yourself of being held in any situation, thats football. As a former player and current official, I see this all the time and the reason why o-linemen hold their opponents is simply because they are either being outplayed and/or overpowered off the line of scrimmage and need to do anything they can to gain an advantage. I have no problem with how Rak is playing right now, this is just his second year folks, not his 10th. There are other players on this roster that are far more worthy of being criticized of thier play than #98.

This thread doesn't even deserve a response, because Rak is doing a hell of a job. He is doing everything asked of him and is getting sacks and holds alike, while in turn learning the 3-4 defense. Yes, he played linebacker last season, but he is in a different defense this season and is still learning to gel with his teammates. If you really want to talk about this topic, we can do so later in the year, after they have had more than 4 games to gel. It is next season that they are going to be AWESOME, but I believe the 2nd half of the season is when they are really going to come together as a team. Both offensive and defensively!

The only complaint I have about 'Rak is how they are using him. I feel like he isn't being used to maximize his abilities sometimes. Now, for a more pressing concern, The REST of the Line-backing corps! What is going on? Seriously...Rocky cannot cover anyone except the fullback...and he gets juked 73% of the time all the time. Lorenzo, God Bless him, isn't suited for the outside. He needs to be inside next to London. Now, as much as I love London...and I think he is great...but he is losing a step. It reminds me of when Monte Coleman was getting older. Don't get me started on Carter...

I've said something similar to this in another thread...I agree with the OP on the fact that Orakpo IS NOT and elite pass rusher, he is IMO in the next tier of pass rushers...He is far from over-rated or over hyped though...The things that are keeping Rak from being an Elite pass rusher are part physical limitations, and part technique based...

1.) Rak lacks the flexibility in his hips, knees, and ankles that the elite pass rushers like Freeney, Ware, Peppers, Allen, and Mathis have...watch when these guys are turning the corner on the OT how low they get and how their bodies are almost at a 45 degree angle to the ground but they are able to remain at top speed...Rak on the other hand gets no bend and is always standing straight up and down, and loses steam on contact with the OT b/c he is so high...Also Rak has no lateral quickness, if he gets knocked off his straight line it takes him too long to redirect and accelerate...

2.) As far as technique goes, Rak has no moves other than the Bull Rush, and Rip...The Bull Rush is effective but you need to have other moves to get off the OT once you get him moving back...Rak does not...The Rip is effective when turning the corner and it is how Rak draws so many holding calls, BUT if Rak was able to get lower and bend while coming around the corner in addition to the Rip move he would be blowing by the OT instead of getting held b/c he wouldn't be standing straight up and down giving up his neck/chest/shoulder area for the OL to grab...

I feel that if Orakpo can improve on these things he will a top 5 pass rusher in the league...As it stands now he is just an above average pass rusher...

I disagree on the physical part. Orakpo is as physically gifted a rusher as there is in this league. I do agree that his technique needs work. Because he's so gifted, he's still able to beat guys, and as a result generate a lot of holding calls. Unfortunately because his technique isn't quite there yet, he doesn't quite have enough to beat his man cleanly and get sacks.

Even then, he's got sacks in two out of four games so far. Sacks generally come in bunches and eventually he'll have a 3-4 sack game like he had last year in Oakland. He's still only in his second year and he's playing in a brand new system that takes time. Case in point, Demarcus Ware got 8 sacks his rookie year, 11.5 in his second. Orakpo had 11.5 in just his rookie year. It wouldn't surprise me if he took a slight hit in the sack stat as he gets adjusted to playing a new position.

But lets not forget we're talking about a kid who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie and he got there not from the fan vote, but from getting voted in by fellow players and coaches, so we know he's legit. He's a young player on the verge of stardom. Enjoy the rise. :)

Nobody is saying Orakpo isn't one of our best defensive players. But some of your act like he has "arrived", when he still has much to prove. He drew key penalties in our wins, but if he were the player everyone thinks he is, we'd probably be 4-0 and wouldn't have needed a holding call to beat Dallas.

He does get held a lot. However I will say that the he looked like he didn't even try on the Eagles TD drive. Whatever the series. He just stands up, puts his hands to the player and then watches. I am not sure if something was wrong, he was winded or what but it kinda of irked me. Irked me like Sleepy Davis missing a block on a field goal.

HTTR

I disagree on the physical part. Orakpo is as physically gifted a rusher as there is in this league. I do agree that his technique needs work. Because he's so gifted, he's still able to beat guys, and as a result generate a lot of holding calls. Unfortunately because his technique isn't quite there yet, he doesn't quite have enough to beat his man cleanly and get sacks.

Even then, he's got sacks in two out of four games so far. Sacks generally come in bunches and eventually he'll have a 3-4 sack game like he had last year in Oakland. He's still only in his second year and he's playing in a brand new system that takes time. Case in point, Demarcus Ware got 8 sacks his rookie year, 11.5 in his second. Orakpo had 11.5 in just his rookie year. It wouldn't surprise me if he took a slight hit in the sack stat as he gets adjusted to playing a new position.

But lets not forget we're talking about a kid who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie and he got there not from the fan vote, but from getting voted in by fellow players and coaches, so we know he's legit. He's a young player on the verge of stardom. Enjoy the rise. :)

Bingo. Once he gets better adjusted, I think he can be a very solid player for us. I don't know if he'll ever be DeMarcus Ware good, or P. Willis good, but the dude is talented and can easily become one of the top 5 best LB's in the game given a little more time. We have a young superstar on our hands folks.

Bingo. Once he gets better adjusted, I think he can be a very solid player for us. I don't know if he'll ever be DeMarcus Ware good, or P. Willis good, but the dude is talented and can easily become one of the top 5 best LB's in the game given a little more time. We have a young superstar on our hands folks.

Yep. People keep talking about how we need more talented young players on the rise and we have one in Orakpo and they complain because he isn't getting 5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles a game...

I'm not saying Rak isn't athletic, but I don't think he is as physically gifted as those I named in the elite pass rusher class...Rak is strong as an Ox, and has very good straight line speed which makes him one of the most powerful pass rushers out there but he lacks the "quick twitch" explosiveness/suddenness, change of direction, and flexibility in his lower body of the elite guys...The thing with Rak is the reason he gets so many holding calls is both b/c of his physical limitations, and his lack of pass rushing moves, if he was elite he wouldn't be getting held all the time he'd be making sacks more often...He has a hell of a work ethic so I'm sure he will continue to improve, just as he has from last yr to this yr...If Rak can work on the physical things that he needs he will be elite, IF he can acquire technique AND the physical tools he could be one of the best of all time...

Yep. People keep talking about how we need more talented young players on the rise and we have one in Orakpo and they complain because he isn't getting 5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles a game...

Who is complaining about Rak? Even the OP isn't complaining he's just stating his opinion that Rak isn't this super human pass rusher that everyone on here makes him out to be YET...

Brian Orakpo will be the first player ever to make the ProBowl simply off of forced holding penalties. He's getting robbed of sacks every game because he lifts guys off the ground and the only thing they can do is grab him around the neck.

If there's any justice in this world...he will singlehandedly force all referees to rethink the procedure of holding calls, perhaps calling them more often. The NFL is all about helping out QBs and WRs and making the passing game the most prominent part of the the game, so I don't see why they aren't all over this holding bull****. I know, we've all been saying "HOLDING" for years as fans, but in only 4 games, everyone can agree he really is getting wrapped up pretty much every time.

So if you're calling him 'unproductive', I think you are very wrong. He is making a huge impact on every play. I'm sorry he's not getting 4 sacks a game, but he is being used in the best possible way in this defense, and sooner or later, he's going to gain the respect of these officials, and make more plays...on paper anyway,

There's a reason he was the 13th overall pick. I know we're not used to having the 'superstar' players of the league, but he's one of them, and making a thread about how 'he ain't that good' is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Go watch YouTube videos of him or something, cause it seems you aren't watching the games.

It's not about sacks. It's about pressure. Orakpo seems to be the only person to be able to create pressure without an overload or blitzing. That's 2 holding penalties vs. alex Barron, 2 vs Jason Peters, not sure about the other 2 games. But it seems to me that O-tackles are having a hard time blocking him when he does hit loop around end where he rips underneath their arms. He has that move down. He just needs some more.

Nobody is saying Orakpo isn't one of our best defensive players. But some of your act like he has "arrived", when he still has much to prove. He drew key penalties in our wins, but if he were the player everyone thinks he is, we'd probably be 4-0 and wouldn't have needed a holding call to beat Dallas.

Yes, Brian Orakpo is now responsible for our two losses. :doh:

It just keeps getting more and more stupid on this board.

You know, I wonder if a change in technique wouldn't do Brian some good. I know he gets held a lot, but I prefer the sack. 5 holding penalties is fine, but I do not accept. Ten yard penalty repeat the down isn't as good as a hard hit on the QB, loss of down and a 5 yard loss. Rak gets held too much for my liking. So instead of hoping we get the call, maybe a change of rushing strategy is in order.

111916_crop_340x234.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqxTJAjYSxR_q7PyvzNY374NkvgknFBq8DBY6BJItzhTKqMSg&t=1&usg=__lw5XI6tRd6cB8y_08LLjt6UuZKQ=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPxprpbqgAm5vJOOWif_9axl_KTbBqfXOPBT6OqWmQEjahl3w&t=1&h=198&w=141&usg=__yuPcVVwUcUXrfBcsfxEmVVbGFwM=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzch803GbCtf_IWx_sFRKVWwSZPbv_eF_Zvk01hBiPrJJ_5Fw&t=1&h=158&w=236&usg=__e8O9mtmf4U3oCHczhPiwH1kg3WA=

I wonder what coaches are telling him. I wonder if they're ok with the technique that draws holding penalties, or if they're asking Rak to switch it up a little bit to facilitate more sacks.

Archived