Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Concerns about Orakpo

Lar0n Landry

We're obviously not watching the same player. He's a young guy who is learning a new position (4-3 OLB =/= 3-4 OLB) and he constantly forces holding calls. Constantly.

We tend to forget that Orakpo, while one of our best players, is only in his SECOND season. SECOND season. As he learns more moves, he'll get even better. :)

The problem is he's terrible at block shedding. He forces them back but he won't get sacks till he can shed the blocks. He's got plenty of moves. He's got great hands. His issue is they're still DE moves, he hasn't mastered Line Backer moves. The DE is gonna be lower and have better leverage to use those moves. His speed rushing is great as that's how most LB's are gonna rush, but he needs to work on his technique from the OLB spot. I love the man but he's getting held while lesser OLB's get around/through them.

Until he can shed blockers he won't be getting the sacks and just force the holds. It's not hurting lesser OLB's like it is him.

he gets held SO much....sometimes the 10 yard holding penalty > sack

Part of the reason for that is he's not good with his hands. Blockers are able to get hands on him and while it draws a few holding calls, he gets held and it gets missed, too. A lot of these holding calls would be sacks if he could learn to use his hands to fend off contact and keep clean. He's struggling to beat 1 on 1 blocks right now.

WTF?

Orakpo is great. In case you didn't notice, I think he brought in another 2 holding penalties this game. That's as good as a sack. If they want to keep holding him, that's fine if you ask me. Orakpo is having a good season. The problem is he doesn't have much help - Haynesworth is still useless and don't see anyone else bringing pressure.

If the refs called even half of the holds committed against him, we wouldnt be worried about the opposing passing game. It wouldnt exist

Huh? The guy is a very good pass rusher. I bet the refs only call half of the holding calls on him. He mostly needs improvement on taking the right pursuit angles, which will help him make better tackles.

i don't awant to be mr doom and gloom after a W, but Orakpo hasn't impressed me at all this season and he was 1 on 1 vs Peters all day and not once did he generate pressure. For all the hype he gets he sure doesn't make very many impact plays. If it wasn' for that 4 sack game against the Raiders last year i think more poeple would realize how non impressive he actually is.

sure he will get a sack every other 3 games, but they are meaningless sacks and not at crucial points in the game and he doesn't make game impacting plays. Also he is terrible in space. pretty sad that Kevin Kolb can outrun him with ease.

I just don't understand the hype this guy gets when he isn't that good of player. he is a pure pass rusher and he isn't even good at doing that that on a consistent basis. again, 1 on 1 all game and not a single sack or even pressure on Kolb. yes he was held twice but great pass rushers get sacks and pressure even when held.

Do you actually watch the games? This is the worst analysis I have seen on a player in a long time on the boards. Do you not understand, how many holding penalties are committed on him each game? Other teams D's know what Orakpo is about....Watch the games, the guy is a stud...

A holding penalty is not as good as a sack. You're giving the offense an extra down to convert and we've been terrible at getting off the field this year.

Orakpo gets held, because he can't beat guys cleanly. Any O-lineman in the league is going to take a holding penalty over a sack. The prolific passrushers don't give them the opportunity to hold.

Right now, he's like the defensive version of the WR who draws a lot of PI fouls, but can't actually catch the ball. Constantly looking for flags at the end of a play will only get you so far.

Archived