Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Shouldn't Wall be promoting the team for other pieces that fit ? Does he feel as if his last 2 seasons are enough ? 

That is the same funk that Kobe got into...he saw the demise and stopped participating in building for the future. 

It was not a selfish act, it was a moment of clarity of what the team was doing for him at the time. 

23 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Shouldn't Wall be promoting the team for other pieces that fit ? Does he feel as if his last 2 seasons are enough ? 

That is the same funk that Kobe got into...he saw the demise and stopped participating in building for the future. 

It was not a selfish act, it was a moment of clarity of what the team was doing for him at the time. 

Some people think selling someone something is manipulative, shameful, or in some cases a task that is beneath them.  Others think that selling people on an idea only results in people joining that don't really want to.  All of these people are wrong, but the mindset that convincing people is somehow negative exists.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Play alongside John Wall, get paid.  We'll have to wait and see until the dust settles after this summer, but hopefully this is the year where FAs will actively campaign to play here in DC. 

• Like 3

This series proved that Wall and Beal are awesome, but that the rest of the roster isn't as good as we hoped. Why oh why didn't we keep Sessions......if Bojan leaves after less than 1 year, what a waste of a 1st rounder. Where the heck was Oubre? Jennings was garbage. Sato couldn't have possibly been much worse. Unfortunetely I don't know what can be done in this offseason, other than to hope that Sato, Oubre, and Porter can take leaps forward.

I'm kinda glad that we fell short of 50 wins now. It'd be lame if our first 50 win season in forever was just another 2nd round loss against a weak #1 seed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We do.  #52.  DX is currently mocking Monte Morris to us.  Some other guys who could be in the picture:

- Sindarius Thornwell

- Josh Hart

- Dillon Brooks

- Jordan Bell

- Frank Mason

What REALLY hurts is not having that 1st round pick with all the good young bigs that should/could be available then. Hated the trade when it happened, hate it even more now.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Ainge is making trades to get #1 picks for years to come and Ernie is making trades to give up #1 picks.  

For years to come 

Yall stop depressing me im supposed to have faith. 

Thom Loverro *shock* wrote the best article on this postmortem for the Wizards season:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/16/wizards-are-going-right-direction-weve-heard/

It turns out that patience indeed does pay off.

After 14 seasons as the Washington Wizards general manager, an Ernie Grunfeld team finally reached the seventh game of the Eastern Conference semifinals.

When will the Washington Post be awarding him its patient sports executive of the year honor?

The Wizards got farther this season than any time since 1979 – one game more than two years ago, when they were bounced by the Atlanta Hawks in the second round in Game 6.

This time, it was the Boston Celtics in Game 7.

Baby steps.

This fan base is so damaged, so depressed, that it, with the help of the media cheerleaders in town, has convinced itself that Grunfeld — after 14 seasons and a won-loss record of 492-638 — has this franchise going in the right direction.

In fact, he is the roadblock to that direction, the arsonist fireman who sets the team on fire with one bad decision after another — signing Andrew Nicholson to a four-year, $26 million contract last offseason, for instance — and then getting credit for trading him to the Brooklyn Nets eight months later for Bojan Bogdanovic.

Washington also gave up its first-round pick in this upcoming draft.

If the talk about moving in the right direction sounds familiar, go back two years ago after their second-round loss to the Hawks. “This franchise is definitely headed in the right direction as far as getting respect in the near future,” Paul Pierce told reporters shortly before he left for Los Angeles to avoid going in the same direction with the Wizards. “A lot of years, people didn’t respect the Washington Wizards. But I think now, when people saw this year, moving forward with the nucleus here, this is going to be a franchise to reckon with.”

Yet, despite all the accolades — all the newfound respect — they have no real results, no real progress, to back that respect.

Why? What led to the Game 7 115-105 loss to Boston Monday night? A number of reasons, but Grunfeld remains the biggest one.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

I'm not shocked about that... Thom been on Grunfield's case for a minute. It's just that the rest of the city doesn't care and it seems like just because Thom is the one beating the drum, no one will back him up.

That's because the majority of the city doesn't know much about basketball. I onky really do because of you guys and my nephew. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

We need some big men that can play in the post, this team has a hard time running a half court offense and sometimes you have to do that.

True. But the issue there is that I don't see how we are going to find one that make an impact for us next season. 

I'm all in on Cousins though. And I know I shouldn't be

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Context matters. When I first read this, I read it is Demarcus Cousins...

Then I came back, and I read it as Kirk Cousins lol

We probably shouldn't be all in on either lol

I, actually, would love to see Kirk playing the 5 lol. The passing on the floor with our starting lineup would be sick. I don't see him rebounding very well, though. Hahaha

But yea, Demarcus and you are correct 

21 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

Play alongside John Wall, get paid.  We'll have to wait and see until the dust settles after this summer, but hopefully this is the year where FAs will actively campaign to play here in DC. 

That is essentially what Jared Dudley said on a podcast last week. You play with Wall, you get paid. I think the Wizards are better off with his former teammates endorsing playing for the Wizards than Wall doing it himself. 

Do athletes every try to campaign for others? Derrick Rose didn't campaign for Lebron. I don't think Curry or anyone on GS actually campaigned for Durant. Guys will pick where they pick for whatever reason. Other all star players have too much athletic arrogance to be seen as begging for another star to join them.