Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

12 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Gortat wants out, I'm not his biggest fan, but he's reliable and does a lot of things that help Wall & Beal shine

I mean, it's such a chicken **** thing to say with 2-3 years left on your contract post 30. A contract that John wall gifted you. Guy is one of the biggest mental midgets in the league. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

In today's NBA, Otto is getting the max.  It is what it is. 

If anyone can give me a viable plan B if the Wizards decided to let Otto walk, I'd be all ears.  However, he's gonna get that $ from us.

Gordon Hayward, that's who I'd rather give the money to.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I mean this dude doesn't really do anything special. Hes Bad on D and Wall pretty much makes the buckets for him. If he wants to go he can go. But the name stays home. They name got my daddy's blood on it. 

But seriously we can find a 7 footer with touch around the rim that isn't soft as baby **** defensively and it may actually be an upgrade. And possibly for half the damn price. 

Ian cannot be our starter. Cannot. 

I think Ty Lawson is a guy who we can get to man the backup PG spot on the cheap due to his off the court issues. His jump shot may have broken a bit last season as well but he's a guy who can facilitate and provide defense on the second unit

• Like 2

Gortat talking about stats when he let Horford go 95% from the paint over the course of the series, and Olynyk get 26 points! 

Seriously, he should be counting his stars that this wasn't Boston, la, or any other big market who would have eaten him alive since the allstar break. You can't win on screens alone, and your post up/rim protection is absolute ****. Be greatful and keep your mouth shut. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I mean this dude doesn't really do anything special. Hes Bad on D and Wall pretty much makes the buckets for him. If he wants to go he can go. But the name stays home. They name got my daddy's blood on it. 

But seriously we can find a 7 footer with touch around the rim that isn't soft as baby **** defensively and it may actually be an upgrade. And possibly for half the damn price. 

Ian cannot be our starter. Cannot. 

I think my dude Benning Road should have been GM before the trade deadline.  He was hyping up Nurkic...can you imagine how much better shape we would have been in had we landed dude? 

• Like 2

It isn't just that though. He turned it over twice in the 3rd quarter when we tried to feed him in the paint, right when it looked like we were on a roll. He can't defend the new breed of big men who can shoot. He's not a particularly tough rebounder and he can't defend the paint. If he isn't scoring what exactly is he contributing?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I think my dude Benning Road should have been GM before the trade deadline.  He was hyping up Nurkic...can you imagine how much better shape we would have been in had we landed dude? 

Problem is Nurkic left Denver because he wasn't involved in the offense. Wouldn't be much different here. We don't need a scoring big. We need a rim presence that can catch lobs and lock down the paint. 

I don't care that marcin had 6 points. I care that he had 4 turnovers, let horford and Olynyk score with ease ( Atlanta series was the same), and that he loses all focus the second he starts sucking, 

Edited by Skin'emAlive
  • Like 1

Just now, RonArtest15 said:

Don't think we can afford w/o a sign and trade...gonna need the capologist, SM, to see if this is doable. 

All depends on what Otto is looking for.  If we can get Otto for less then max, I can live with standing pat.  I'm just not sold on Otto being that third star, he still comes across as a better Ariza. 

Gortat is a good PnR center, but if you can't run PnR (which teams took away in the playoffs) he isn't going to score.  He's a great screen setter and I think he's under rated defensively.  He's not great defensively but he's not nearly as bad as people like to claim.  Horford hit tough shots and Brad Stevens offense forced our bigs out into space where their bigs could win.  

Side note:  Brooks' never tried to over power them like the Bulls did, and his defense schemes were absolute trash.  Brooks got absolutely dismantled by Stevens.  The longer that playoff series went the more control the Celtics coaches took.  By the end the Wizards role players were almost completely solved by the Celtics, none of them could get a shot they wanted or find a good defensive matchup.  

Back to centers:  Mahinmi is simply a bad contract.  There is no way to sell it.  He's got bad hands, doesn't set great screens (Gortat is one of the best in the league), has no lift, fouls too much, can't play in space, is an awful free throw shooter, and has never in his career averaged 25 minutes a game or more.  There is no reason in the past to see him as a reliable effective starter.  If he managed it, it would be the first time he's ever done it.  

Smith is our best center contract.  He's not good but he's good enough to play a little and he's cheap.  Cheap centers that you can actually play are harder to find than you'd think.  We could easily trade that contract but why would we?

best case scenario:  Fire Grunfeld.  Have a real GM fix the front court.  Ideally the Wizards would get a better rim protector/rebounder since neither Wall or Beal are ever going to share the ball in the 4th quarter under Scott Brooks.  

I dont want to give Otto a max cause I think the money would be better spent on other parts of the roster. But listening to him speak about "We will be back" and "This is home" along side of the other guys on the squad wanting him back makes me want to keep him. I just wish we could with out the max money 

15 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I dont want to give Otto a max cause I think the money would be better spent on other parts of the roster. But listening to him speak about "We will be back" and "This is home" along side of the other guys on the squad wanting him back makes me want to keep him. I just wish we could with out the max money 

Not sure it will be the full max.

Hopefully we can get him for something like 18-20 in exchange for being able to guarantee a 5th year.

• Like 2

doesn't matter if Grun**** is the one bringing them in

really hope Brooks studies his own **** ups this postseason.  He was outcoached in both series IMO. We had enough talent to overcome the deficiency against ATL, no so much against Boston.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2