Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Our bench and defense are extremely weak.  That's the biggest issue if I had to generalize.  Once our main scorers struggle the entire offense goes into a funk.  Wall was the example tonight.

Being on the west coast and not owning the NBA package, I didn't see this team play throughout the year.  I'm just going off what I saw in the playoffs.  And outside of our starting 5 we are weak.  Oh and bigs....we don't have any.

Porter is a free agent, right?  Could've sworn I saw people talking about that earlier in the thread.

Just now, abdcskins said:

Our bench and defense are extremely weak.  That's the biggest issue if I had to generalize.  Once our main scorers struggle the entire offense goes into a funk.  Wall was the example tonight.

Being on the west coast and not owning the NBA package, I didn't see this team play throughout the year.  I'm just going off what I saw in the playoffs.  And outside of our starting 5 we are weak.  Oh and bigs....we don't have any.

Porter is a free agent, right?  Could've sworn I saw people talking about that earlier in the thread.

the bench had like a good 2 week stretch after the deadline, DATS IT. it was trash to start the year, trash to finish the year, trash in the playoffs.  Grunfeld will still skate on

Otto is a RFA, doesn't deserve the max, but somebody will offer it to him because the NBA is stupid

no draft picks, no money otherwise to really improve the team.  Stuck hoping that veterans will take less money to play here if they can't latch on to GSW/CLE/SAS and such

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bearrock said:

It is the most consequential offseason for the Wizards in a long time.  Grunfeld is not the guy to handle it.

its not

last summer was it, and Grunfeld wasted all of the money on that bench.

We have to hold pat this summer, sadly. Summer of 2019, we have to make a run at Cousins. Thats our only path to an NBA title.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bearrock said:

It is the most consequential offseason for the Wizards in a long time.  Grunfeld is not the guy to handle it.

There is nothing we can realistically do.  That's the shame of it.  We have no cap space and we don't have a first round draft pick.  We barely have any room under the luxury tax line.  Otto is going to cost a chunk of change to keep and if we want to keep Bogdanovich, that should put us at the line.

13 minutes ago, bearrock said:

grunfeld sold everything to keep his job (again), this offseason has no upside.  The only decisions are signing Otto and Bog.  The team has no cap space or draft picks. 

3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

We have to hold pat this summer, sadly. Summer of 2019, we have to make a run at Cousins. Thats our only path to an NBA title.

I think it'll take a better GM than Ernie to build a super team through free agency.  Would you ever buy anything Ernie was selling?  I can't see him winning a bidding war for these guys.

I'm also not as enthusiastic about going after Cousins as I used to be.  He'd be a constant source of stress and locker room tension.  One of the things that's held us back in this Wall/Beal era is immaturity and a lack of... resolve.  I would be afraid that a Wall/Beal/Cousins team would be a group of super talented underachievers.

Paul George is the real prize of that free agency for me.  He'd give us almost as much firepower as Cousins but he is a much better locker room guy and he can play awesome defense when he's dialed in.

Then again, after seeing the level of play we got from our bigs post AS break, nobody could do more to improve our team net-net than getting a dominant big.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think it'll take a better GM than Ernie to build a super team through free agency.  Would you ever buy anything Ernie was selling?  I can't see him winning a bidding war for these guys.

I'm also not as enthusiastic about going after Cousins as I used to be.  He'd be a constant source of stress and locker room tension.  One of the things that's held us back in this Wall/Beal era is immaturity and a lack of... resolve.  I would be afraid that a Wall/Beal/Cousins team would be a group of super talented underachievers.

Paul George is the real prize of that free agency for me.  He'd give us almost as much firepower as Cousins but he is a much better locker room guy and he can play awesome defense when he's dialed in.

Then again, after seeing the level of play we got from our bigs post AS break, nobody could do more to improve our team net-net than getting a dominant big.

Paul George is a charlatan to me.

He and Wall would clash on playing styles since they both want the ball. And George loves taking terrible shots.

I am not as high on him as others are. 

I get the issues with Cousins maturity but he is a bully. And I think he would attempt to fit in here with Wall.

But alas, no one is coming to DC because of Grunfeld.

6 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I get the issues with Cousins maturity but he is a bully. And I think he would attempt to fit in here with Wall.

I think he probably would too.  But I also don't love giving Wall someone he is probably going to have to babysit.  He deserves a low maintenance big who can run with him and finish all of the bunnies that Wall would give him.

Reason #5428 that Grunfeld should be fired: if he'd not panicked to try and keep his job last summer, we could have made a real run at Blake Griffin this summer.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think he probably would too.  But I also don't love giving Wall someone he is probably going to have to babysit.  He deserves a low maintenance big who can run with him and finish all of the bunnies that Wall would give him.

Reason #5428 that Grunfeld should be fired: if he'd not panicked to try and keep his job last summer, we could have made a real run at Blake Griffin this summer.

I dont think he would have to babysit Cousins.

I feel you on Blake, but I feel Blake is done as well.

Whether to sign Otto at max or not is the million dollar question.  Keep Otto at max and our framework is boxed in.  Let Otto go, then we are taking a step back in hopes of finding a better 3rd piece to the puzzle.  Neither choice is obvious and Grunfeld shouldn't be making that decision.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Whether to sign Otto at max or not is the million dollar question.  Keep Otto at max and our framework is boxed in.  Let Otto go, then we are taking a step back in hopes of finding a better 3rd piece to the puzzle.  Neither choice is obvious and Grunfeld shouldn't be making that decision.

Unfortunately letting Otto walk doesn't really give us the flexibility to make any big moves.  We're so far over the cap right now that even if Otto and Bojan both walk, we'll only have like 10 million dollars in cap space.  That might get you a sixth man who is halfway decent.  But not much else.

Our only good option is to keep Otto and either hope he makes a leap like Wall and Beal did, or try and trade him further down the road.

Porter is not a max player.... Not even close.

As I complained about it all season, the bench sucks. Bogs is a good piece, but you have to play him enough and use him correctly. 

Apparently, going by these playoffs, our team has never seen a pick before