Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

55 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I think my dude Benning Road should have been GM before the trade deadline.  He was hyping up Nurkic...can you imagine how much better shape we would have been in had we landed dude? 

what pissed me off about the Nurkic trade is the Trailblazers gained a first round pick for him.

Id rather have Nurkic than Bogdanovic and the other guy that we got from the Nets. We screwed up there. Everyone in the league did, but Ernie definitely did considering the Mahinmi issues. And Nurkic will be under team control for another 2-5 years.

53 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Problem is Nurkic left Denver because he wasn't involved in the offense. Wouldn't be much different here. We don't need a scoring big. We need a rim presence that can catch lobs and lock down the paint. 

you cant be serious.

He is playing with Lillard and McCollum. Nurkic's problem in Denver was Jokic.

7 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Also, Ernie is getting an extension. 100% 

Ted is happy with stars and high attendance for the season. You saw it with the Caps. Winning a title is a bonus for him, but no something he is actively striving towards.

in another **** you to the fans, it will be an extension that is announced at like 3:23am on a saturday morning after some other big news story breaks

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Smh if we traded a first rounder for a one year rental. 

the Grunfeld way

Hard to sell players on coming here if a line forms immediately upon the seasons conclusion of players waiting to tell the press they'd be happy to consider playing somewhere else.  I wonder if any of this is because Wall and Beal refuse to share the ball?  Pure speculation on my part but Bogs probably hated being out on the floor and never getting a shot up.  Otto is probably wondering how many millions never getting the ball in the 4th quarter could cost him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Destino said:

Hard to sell players on coming here if a line forms immediately upon the seasons conclusion of players waiting to tell the press they'd be happy to consider playing somewhere else.  I wonder if any of this is because Wall and Beal refuse to share the ball?  Pure speculation on my part but Bogs probably hated being out on the floor and never getting a shot up.  Otto is probably wondering how many millions never getting the ball in the 4th quarter could cost him.

Yeah, I think this is pure speculation. :)

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

Don't think we can afford w/o a sign and trade...gonna need the capologist, SM, to see if this is doable. 

It likely wouldn't be possible.

Our cap commitments are about 92 million dollars if you release the holds on Otto and Bojan and let them walk, as well as cut Ochefu and Mac.  Might be able to release McCullough too and free up another million or so.

The cap is projected to be about 101 million.  So we've got about 9-10 million dollars in room if we let Porter walk.  

Hayward is likely to receive a max contract.  At seven years veterancy, that's probably going to be about 31 million a year.  That means we'd need to create 21 million in space to sign him.  Realistically, to do that, you'd probably have to find someone who would take Mahinmi in an unbalanced trade where you're getting back almost no salary.  That'd free up as much as 18 million, if you took back no salary in return.  Then you'd have to do the same for another player to get the rest of the way to 31 million free.

The kind of unbalanced trade we would need to make this happen are very rare and there aren't many teams this summer with major cap space.  I just don't see there being enough incentive for a team to take Mahinmi off our hands after the kind of season he just had.  Maybe if a team really liked Oubre and you included him?  But giving up a young asset like him just to dump Mahinmi to try and chase a max free agent seems like terrible value, just to get what would likely be a marginal upgrade over Porter.

Maybe you can get to max room by building a patchwork of unbalanced trades around smaller contracts like Kieff and Gortat.  But again, that's giving up a lot of assets, plus letting Porter walk.

A sign and trade is unlikely because Utah would obviously have to work with us on it, and they're going to want to keep Hayward.  They could and would shut down that option for us by refusing to make the trade.  Hayward would have to force their hand and make them deal him to us, and that is very unlikely.  S&Ts are a worse deal for the player because the max they can sign for is 4 years with 4.5% annual raises.  Meanwhile he could get 6 years with 7.5% raises from Utah, which is what I imagine he will do.

FWIW, the MLE on a 101 million cap will be somewhere between 8-9 million dollars.  Letting Otto walk only gets us about a million more dollars than using the MLE would.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Destino said:

Hard to sell players on coming here if a line forms immediately upon the seasons conclusion of players waiting to tell the press they'd be happy to consider playing somewhere else. 

Its a lot easier when you consider said players are bums down the stretch. Seriously, Gortat is probably tired of being held accountable by wall for missing all those open ****ing layups. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I mean, it's such a chicken **** thing to say with 2-3 years left on your contract post 30. A contract that John wall gifted you. Guy is one of the biggest mental midgets in the league. 

Gortat is a weird guy.  He is definitely sensitive.  But he's also a workhorse and can take a beating.  He's also a lot smarter than he seems.  If you've ever read a translation of him giving interviews in Polish, he conveys himself better and doesn't stick his foot in his mouth like he does when speaking to the American sports media.

As far as "seeing if this is still the right fit for him" goes, I'm not sure wtf he thinks he can do.  He's under contract for two more years.  He can demand a trade and we can say no and that's the end of it.  If he tried to do something like pout and force his way out, that would probably end his NBA career.  He wouldn't do that though, he's not a moron.  But it definitely could make sense for us to trade him.  If he requested a trade this summer, I'd shop him and see if I could get a young asset back in return.

This is the list of teams that will likely have the cap space to make an unbalanced trade which absorbs Mahinmi's contract:

1 - Philly

2 - Miami

3 - Minnesota

4 - Brooklyn

5 - New York

6 - Boston

7 - Dallas

Indy, Orland, Denver, and Chicago could get close if we took salary back in return.  Houston could get over halfway there.  Nobody else will likely have cap space.

I could see Houston being interested in Mahinmi.  I'd be on the horn with them about trading him.

FWIW, Philly, Miami, Minnesota, and Brooklyn is also the list of teams that could max Otto.  Don't think Miami would, but I think its a lock that Philly and Brooklyn will go after him.

Feinstein is just woefully out of touch and bitter than Kendall Marshall did not end up being better than John Wall.

When I read a comment like that, it makes me think sports journalism has never been more than a hot take machine. Its just that guys like Feinstein could write about their hot take to fill a column space.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Ted encouraged = no changes coming = more of the same.... 

When's that best coming for the Caps Teddy?  Stop bejng obtuse and fire Grunfeld before he does something that makes Forsberg for Erat look genius.  You hang on to GM way too long

Edited by bearrock