Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Again, extending Otto is a 100% no brainer.  There is not even a debate to be had here.  It must and will happen.

There is a debate to be had here, because he was worthless outside of a couple of games in the playoffs. Don't try to confuse the issue with worthless statistics. He completely fell off after the AS break. We could replace him with a competent SF that can shoot and it would be no different than it was with Ariza. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

Gordon Hayward falls into the same category as Paul George for me - they want the ball in their hands.  Wall and Beal will dominate the ball.  We need a dominant PF who plays off the guards we have. 

So what, give him the ball, our bench is terrible anyways.  I like Morris at PF, we just need another 20 PPG scoring option that can be relied on when we get into May.  Halfcourt sets, I can still see the ball getting around, and Gordon would help a lot when its him and a couple bench players, like we seem to do with Beal a lot.  Otto may be a better compliment, but I'm not going to care if he wants max, he has not earned it.  I said the same thing about Beal, but this is different, Beal showed up in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Meh, the cap is projected to go up $15 million between now and the end of Mahinmi's deal.  It's hardly a poison pill.

Backup PG is a major priority, tho.  Maybe Tomas is ready to make that leap?

If he can work on his shooting I think he'll be fine. 

Trey Burke was a low risk flier.  I have no problem with trading a second for him, he was a former lottery pick on an expiring deal.  But having him as our only real option at back up PG to start the year was a mistake.  There should have been someone else to compete for the job.  I guess we were thinking Sato could play back up PG, but Sato is a wing.  And unfortunately Sato wasn't ready for as many minutes as we hoped because he can't shoot the three ball yet.

The kid actually has a bright future if he does hone his three ball though.  He and Oubre have the potential to be really high end wing depth.  But going through their growing pains right now is rough, and the end result of that is Wall and Beal played too many minutes and we didn't have depth we could trust when the postseason started.  That doesn't mean you give up on them though, because their development is how you give Wall and Beal a good bench when they reach their prime years.

Also Sheldon Mac looks like he can be a player.  We need to hang on to him.  He has rare speed and leaping ability and he has nice form and touch on his jumper.  He's got three and D wing potential, and seems like the kind of no name player that ends up in the Spurs 10 man rotation and makes a couple of big plays in big moments.

I think our roster had three main problems this year:

1 - We didn't get the PG/bench combo guard we needed at the trade deadline.  I don't think we can go into another season thinking we'll just address the issue at the deadline like we did with Miller and Sessions.  Because the potential risk there is we don't get one and end up with another Jennings.

The position has to be addressed this offseason.  Somehow, some way.  It's a critical issue.

2 - We didn't have enough three point shooting.  We only had three quality shooters: Brad, Otto, and Bojan.  Morris is OK, but he's not a real threat.  Having only three true shooters is untenable.  When one or two or maybe all three of them go cold, as happened in the postseason, then you are ****ed.  You need a couple more and it's always going to be a little tricky for us to get shooters in the line up when we get zero three ball production from the 1 and 5.  Some of the shooting issues could eventually work themselves out if Oubre/Sato/Mac develop into more reliable players.  In the meantime we could desperately use a three point shooting combo guard, a sweet shooting vet back up 2, or a real stretch 4.

3 - The big man situation.  Jason Smith exceeded expectations and is a fine third center on a great contract.  He's a keeper.  The issues are that Gortat is declining pretty rapidly and Mahinmi is a bum.  Gortat has absolutely no lift any more and his legs completely gave out on him by the AS break.  He can not handle 30+ minutes a night for 80+ games a year any more.  Playing that way this season ruined him for the playoffs.

Gortat was also becoming somewhat obsolete due to the changed nature of the game too.  His minutes would have needed to decline even if he didn't have fatigue and age-related decline issues.

So back up C became an extremely important need for us this year and Mahinmi utterly failed to live up to his contract and fulfill his intended role.  He left us in a lurch.  And we're suckers if we trust him moving forward.  This dude is made of glass just like Nene was and he will never be healthy when we need him.  Plus he's a limited offensive player who can't play in crunch time anyway.

Nerlens Noel is who we needed.  It's a damn shame we couldn't get him.  Consider it an opportunity cost of the Mahinmi deal that we didn't even consider going after him.  He would have been perfect.

I honestly don't know how you fix our issues at center.  You'd have to sucker a team into taking Mahinmi's contract and then hope the right replacement became available.  But seeing as how it pretty much took a first rounder to dump Andrew Nicholson's ****ty 6 million dollar contract, Mahinmi will not be easy to move.

10 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

There is a debate to be had here, because he was worthless outside of a couple of games in the playoffs. Don't try to confuse the issue with worthless statistics. He completely fell off after the AS break. We could replace him with a competent SF that can shoot and it would be no different than it was with Ariza. 

Win shares is a good comprehensive statistic.  So is RPM, in which Otto also did well compared to the rest of the league.  It's not confusing the issue to point out how good he was this year.

How do you replace Otto with a competent SF that can shoot?  Who is available that meets that criteria?  With what cap space do you sign them?  Or with what draft pick do you use or trade to get them?

Do you realize you're talking about letting Otto walk for nothing in order to create about a million dollars in spending money this offseason?

I'm sorry, but there really is no debate to be had here.  I don't know how to make this any more plain, but anyone who thinks we should let Otto walk doesn't really know what they're talking about because they haven't examined our cap situation or the market.  Extending Otto is absolutely a no brainer and not even Ernie would be dumb enough to let him walk.  He's going to get an extension from us.

• Like 2

I definitely agree we need more shooters. Ideally our backup PG would have the ability to hit 3s as well. Wasn't Sato a good shooter in Europe? Maybe he can develop. Would love to see Oubre develop into a 3 and D player too but he's not consistent enough of a shooter right now. Smith is a keeper. I still like Bog but he needs to be paired with a PG that can get shots for him.

Get a better backup PG and I think the entire bench would look better.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Get a better backup PG and I think the entire bench would look better.

This!  Oubre, Bogs, Ian, Smith, Tomas...there's a lot to like right there.  But Jennings was so terrible it hardly even mattered.  Watching him play, it was mind-boggling to think he was ever a starting PG in this league.

2 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

No one is dumb for using their ****ing eyes. You ask questions that you yourself haven't examined, and then make a determination on whether I have before giving me a chance to respond. Sick and tired of this know-it-all bull****. Nevermind, you'll be agreeing with me in two days when you change your mind yet again. 

How do you think I drew my conclusions?  I spent a lot of time calculating our cap situation, looking at the market, looking at the projected cap increases, and thinking about the various scenarios for Otto.  If you do have palatable alternatives that I haven't considered, by all means, put them forward and we can weigh the pros and cons.

And I'm not going to change my mind about this.  I never changed my mind about the necessity of keeping Beal.  You and I had this same argument about him last summer, and you also suggested letting Beal walk without offering any real solution to replace him.  I'm not trying to single you out, the majority of the fanbase agreed with your position and they were wrong too.  And I believe it was because the majority hadn't and examined and weighed all of the important factors to consider in Beal's situation or tracked and projected his development carefully enough.  I see this happening again with Otto and this situation is pretty much as cut and dried as the one with Beal last summer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

How do you think I drew my conclusions?  I spent a lot of time calculating our cap situation, looking at the market, looking at the projected cap increases, and thinking about the various scenarios for Otto.  If you do have palatable alternatives that I haven't considered, by all means, put them forward and we can weigh the pros and cons.

And I'm not going to change my mind about this.  I never changed my mind about the necessity of keeping Beal.  You and I had this same argument about him last summer, and you also suggested letting Beal walk without offering any real solution to replace him.  I'm not trying to single you out, the majority of the fanbase agreed with your position and they were wrong too.  And I believe it was because the majority hadn't and examined and weighed all of the important factors to consider in Beal's situation or tracked and projected his development carefully enough.  I see this happening again with Otto and this situation is pretty much as cut and dried as the one with Beal last summer.

So if Otto asks for max, you giving it to him?

I'm just trying to figure out how and when Brandon Jennings forgot how to shoot. Seriously, his shot looks worse than MKG. Worse of all, he's scared to take a wide open jumper, from anywhere. 

For the people who are about to **** on Otto when he gets his payday: Wall earned it. Beal earned it. If 4 straight improving seasons has taught me anything, Otto will earn it too. Look, we would gain nothing by letting him go, and he fits a perfect role behind Wall and Brad. This team failed to grab a competent replacement for Marcin, something I said would be the downfall of this team last year. I'm not surprised he was a primary reason we lost. He's a good guy, and I mean no ill will. Dude had some great years with us, and a few great playoff games this year even. But his time as our primary starting 5 should be up, and sadly, his value now is probably at an all time low. 

Overall, still a great season. No regrets. Wall is a true superstar, Brad stepped up in ways we never saw coming ( elite hesitation dribble), and Otto held the #1 perimeter shooting spot for half the season. You can build around that. 

What do the players need to do to get better?

Wall: This is the first summer he will be able to work on his game in like 3 years. He needs to get that jumper on point. Stop fading away. Straight up and down. Thats it. He also needs to improve his conditioning. You can say the bench lead to him playing too many minutes, but that didnt stop Russy. If he wants to be in that convo, he needs to get his conditioning up.

Beal: He needs to improve those handles and become a better playmaker. He improved this year by a lot, so I think he can. He gonna also need to bulk up and work on a post game.

Otto: Tighten the handles and probably add 10 lbs for when he plays 4.

Morris: Thats as good as you gonna get.

Gortat: Washed

Oubre: Figure out what his role is gonna be. He needs to work on his 3 ball. He could be a damn good 3&D guy if he spends a summer shooting instead of working on his hairstyle.

Mahinmi: Get better suits.

Satoransky: Work on that 3 ball as well.

Bogdanovic: Probably will be somewhere else next season.

Jennings: Good luck in China.

Burke: Good luck in the CBA

• Like 3

Gonna take Benningtons approach here:

wall: get better at flopping

beal: work on the post up. 

Otto: work on the first step

morris: nothing

gortat: trade

mahinmi: not be injured. Sleeping in a Kobe cryochamber

oubre: stop reaching 24-7. Pick your spots to reach. Also, work on the floater. 

Bogdonavic: get healthy, work on lateral quickness

smith: nothing

sato: work on using your ridiculous size to finish at the basket

maclellan: consistency

jennings: bye

• Like 1

If Mahinmi can stay healthy, I think the Wizards can duplicate Gortat's offense between him and Smith.  You don't pay those guys a combined 20m's per season to not get minutes.  Something has to give between Gortat, Mahinmi, and Smith.  No one is going to take Mahinmi's contract, Smith COULD be tradable, but Gortat has the best value of all three that's a reasonable bet to be moved. 

1 minute ago, RonArtest15 said:

If Mahinmi can stay healthy, I think the Wizards can duplicate Gortat's offense between him and Smith.  You don't pay those guys a combined 20m's per season to not get minutes.  Something has to give between Gortat, Mahinmi, and Smith.  No one is going to take Mahinmi's contract, Smith COULD be tradable, but Gortat has the best value of all three that's a reasonable bet to be moved. 

Mahinmi can't stay healthy though, he's just one of those types.