Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/5/22/15678046/john-wall-contract-extension-washington-wizards-designated-player-veteran

Washington’s options for external improvement are limited for the next two years. Unless there is a drastic roster change, the Wizards won’t have cap space until 2019, when Wall is currently set to hit free agency. They also don’t have much in terms of upcoming draft picks. Their only pick in next month’s draft is the 52nd overall, and they may need to leverage one of their upcoming picks in 2018 or 2019 to address depth next season, much like they have the past two seasons.

its a never ending cycle. we might not have another 1st round pick til 2022

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If John made 350-400 million in career earnings, you're getting into ownership territory.  He could be the controlling interest in a group with that kind of money.

wouldnt owners make more money at the same rate?

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

So, going into "what if" land... What if the Wiz didn't tank a year ago and stink. What if they didn't play like it was a filler year that didn't matter on the hopes of signing Durant? If Durant had seen these Wizards with Wall, Beal, and Porter would he have considered us over Golden State? The Eastern Finals could have been the hometown series with Durant coming home and James repping Cleveland.

Okay, maybe it still wouldn't have happened, but if they hadn't thrown out the year with all those one year contracts and the knowledge that it was just a garbage year no one cared about... who knows? The Wiz after this playoffs are certainly more attractive to free agents than last year when they couldn't seduce anybody and lost out on every name they chased.

the real what if, is what if we didnt go all in when trading for Gortat and we were in the lottery another season?

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Let's say John didn't sign the DPE this summer though.  New Orleans calls and offers Anthony Davis for Wall straight up.  Do we say yes?

Hmm, I gotta think about that. We'd be getting a younger player with probably more upside. I would prefer keeping Wall, with the expectation that if Cousins becomes a FA we may be his first choice. But if we knew Wall wouldn't commit to a DPE, that's a pretty big indication we may lose him and get nothing. So getting Davis would be awesome in that scenario. 

I wondered earlier this month if the Wizards should bring Otto Porter Jr. back. I’m thinking no. I’m not convinced the benefit of re-signing Porter for roughly $20 million, which he’ll likely get, outweighs the promise of adding a star free agent in 2018. They can create max space by moving just one salary that year, and if you’re an elite player on the market, it would be hard not to look at the Wizards and feel like you’re the final piece to their championship puzzle.

If they re-sign Porter, the Wizards could lock themselves into a Blazers-like roster. Portland already has $130 million in committed salaries next season, though they do have a lot of picks though, as discussed earlier this month.   

such a conundrum

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-team-offseason-rebuilding-raptors-clippers-bulls-pacers-f6b9c8062500

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Durant didn't even meet with us.  He didn't want to come here.  He wanted to take the easy way out and that was Golden State.

Or the best way out, depending on how you look at it.  Getting bounced in the conference semifinals or finals is highly overrated.

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/5/22/15678046/john-wall-contract-extension-washington-wizards-designated-player-veteran

its a never ending cycle. we might not have another 1st round pick til 2022

We basically have to hope somebody rises up and exceeds expectations.  Like Sato or McCollough or somebody all the sudden finds their game and figures it all out.  

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

We basically have to hope somebody rises up and exceeds expectations.  Like Sato or McCollough or somebody all the sudden finds their game and figures it all out.  

That's how I see this playing out, standing pat and hoping most of our players improve and our centers don't regress too much.

I would have no problem standing pat, provided the players are still happy.  Call me dumb, but the "ring or bust" viewpoint as a fan is shortsighted.  

I want Wall and Beal at a minimum on the team, and so long as Morris, Porter, and Oubre have chemistry together would be frustrated but not too unhappy with top 4 seeds and eastern conference finals runs.  

Roll with Wall and Beal as our "Parker" and "Ginobili" and pray a "Tim Duncan" piece drops from heaven.  If not, still gonna love the team and think that both players are top 5 at their positions.  

Ernie needs to stop gambling to find "Duncan" --- Morris and Gortat actually have worked out all this considered, but try to draft a piece like that.  

12 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I am leaning more towards trying to get Cousins next summer, at all costs.

I'm all for doing whatever appeases Wall.  Cousins would be a GREAT start.  I guarantee he's telling the FO about this demand.  It's no secret the two of them want to play together. 

*edit*

A healthy trio of Wall/Beal/Cousins is more than enough to challenge Lebron/C's/etc. to come out of the East. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I'm all for doing whatever appeases Wall.  Cousins would be a GREAT start.  I guarantee he's telling the FO about this demand.  It's no secret the two of them want to play together. 

*edit*

A healthy trio of Wall/Beal/Cousins is more than enough to challenge Lebron/C's/etc. to come out of the East. 

Exactly.

Remember, Rich Paul is Wall's agent.

What I would be worried about is Wall deciding NO with Wall/Davis/Cousins is a better option than Wall/Beal/Cousins.  I think the latter is a better balance, but I don't think it can happen unless Ted commits to going over the luxury limit.  

I just read that Wall can't get six years on a DPE signed this summer because the rules only allow up to six years total of team control.  He still has two seasons on his current contract, so the extension could only be for four years.  That changes the value of his contract a great deal because the final two years of a 35% max with 7.5% annual raises scaled to the 2019-2020 salary cap would have been for 100 million dollars.

Now I'm not so sure Wall will sign a DPE contract this summer.  He could bet on himself and go for a fifth year next summer.  It'd be a huge risk, he's only got so many chances at an All NBA spot when Curry, Westbrook, and Harden are locks for half of them (and there are already three fewer spots for guards than forwards).  But the potential reward could be an extra 50 million on his extension.  That's a hell of a lot of money.

2 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

Hmm, I gotta think about that. We'd be getting a younger player with probably more upside. I would prefer keeping Wall, with the expectation that if Cousins becomes a FA we may be his first choice. But if we knew Wall wouldn't commit to a DPE, that's a pretty big indication we may lose him and get nothing. So getting Davis would be awesome in that scenario. 

I'm not sure what I would do, but I do know that Anthony Davis is the only player for whom I would consider trading John Wall.  That would be a really weird and unprecedented trade.  I'm not sure two superstars in their prime have ever been swapped in a 1:1 deal.

Wall is not signing the DPE this summer.

If he gets an All NBA team in 2019, he will have 9 years of service which will give him even more of an annual salary.

Wall will go on the market in 2019, and if he makes All NBA that season, he will probably re-sign with the Wizards at like 35% of what the cap will be.

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I disagree with that guy's take that Wall isn't a top ten player.  He's there.  He's knocking on the door of the top five.

I think he's making the Porter situation out to be more difficult than it actually is.  The difference between signing Porter to 20 million a year and what the Blazers did last summer is that Allen Crabbe and Evan Turner both suck.  Porter is actually good and people want him, if we need to create room in the summer of 2018 then we will be able to trade him.  And realistically, we would probably need Porter as a carrot to structure a sign and trade around.  I know the Kings got less in return than Porter for Cousins, but I don't know that we can count on the Pelicans being as dumb and desperate as them.

4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Wall is not signing the DPE this summer.

If he gets an All NBA team in 2019, he will have 9 years of service which will give him even more of an annual salary.

Wall will go on the market in 2019, and if he makes All NBA that season, he will probably re-sign with the Wizards at like 35% of what the cap will be.

The DPE makes him eligible for 35% this summer.  If he loses his eligibility next summer, he'll only be able to sign for 30%.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I disagree with that guy's take that Wall isn't a top ten player.  He's there.  He's knocking on the door of the top five.

Absolutely.  You have to look at both his production, but also how he makes it easier for his teammates.  One thing I would like to see Wall improve upon or utilize more is the finishes in the paint but not around the rim.  His drives to the basket puts a lot of contact on his body and actually makes the choice a bit binary for the defense.  If he can develop more arsenals in the paint like floaters and distance bank layups (can't think of the right term, but what Irving does a lot), it would put so much pressure on the defense and make scoring easier for him in playoffs.  Beal's change of pace on his dribbles really opened up his offensive game this year.  Similarly, more variation for John could really elevate his game.

15 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Flame away, but I think Wall is the best PG in the NBA. 

I love Wall but he's not there yet IMO and this playoff performance had some glaring holes in it, even if it was brilliant overall. 

1- He needs to lose weight.

2- Contributes almost nothing without the ball in his hands on offense.

3- His defense looked fairly bad this post season.  Avery Bradley should send Wall a gift basket. 

4- Turns the ball over too much. 

He's one of the best point guards in the game but there are still too many times during the game where he hurts his team for me to say he's knocked CP3 off the top spot.  As bad as his defense looked in the playoffs to me, the two way argument can't really be made to vault him past Curry either.   

• Like 1

Just now, Destino said:

I love Wall but he's not and this playoff performance had some glaring holes in it. 

1- He needs to lose weight. 

2- Contributes almost nothing without the ball in his hands on offense which allows his defender to cheat even further back than they normally do. 

3- His defense looked fairly bad this post season.  Avery Bradley should send Wall a gift basket. 

4- Turns the ball over too much. 

He's one of the best point guards in the game but there are still too many times during the game where he hurts his team for me to say he's knocked CP3 off the top spot.  As bad as his defense looked in the playoffs to me, the two way argument can't really be made to vault him past Curry either.   

I think Curry is the better overall player, but I think Wall is the better PG - if that makes sense.  Curry has the luxury of playing in a system (and with players) that cater to his strengths.  Draymond can facilitate the 1/2 court offense (same w/ KD now) which lightens the load of Steph.  It's not all falling on him the same way it ALL falls on John Wall here in DC.  That being said, I can't disagree with any of your points...there is A LOT he needs to work on this summer.