Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Haynesworth and Shanahan exchange words after Failed test (MET)

soljaofjesus

Let's face it guys, this one is going to end badly. Shanny is not going to stand for this behavior (seriously, taking a bathroom break in the middle of your conditioning test while your head coach is watching?!?!) and Haynesworth is going to continue to do things like take bathroom breaks in the middle of conditioning tests.

Yes, I said it twice. That's all you really need to know about this situation. The Coach should have told him to get the hell off the field and come back when he was ready to be a professional.

I'm hoping this isn't turning into a contest of who's dick is bigger. If so, I'd have to question Shanahan on that one. I'd rather the Redskins keep the high ground.

I will say this... too many people in our society have forgotten that football is played by men and that football is a violent and relentless game. The complete wussification of our society is evident every time a football coach gets hammered for... well, for doing his job.

Great football coaches know that in order to win at the highest level they have to push their players farther than they've ever been pushed. The good players find a way to rise up to a new level. The bad ones don't and they are let go.

When it's late in the fourth quarter in week 13 and the team is down by four points in a must-win game, you want your guys to be in peak condition and you want their minds in the right place. You get them there by pushing them. This is how champions are made. They aren't made by coaches coddling them and babying them.

It's funny... Bear Bryant is one of the most renowned college coaches of all time, yet if he were coaching today he'd probably be fired because... you know... his language is just a little too harsh.

These are men who play a violent game. I'd much rather play for a coach who is going to challenge the team and help us rise to levels even we didn't think we could reach than play for a coach who is going to make things easy. Easy gets you beat. In football and in life.

Take off the dress people, this is football. I think Shanahan knows a thing or two about what he's doing.

As a coach, doing what Shanahan did is exactly how it should be played. He hasn't said anything negative and he's keeping quiet about his feelings one way or the other on Haynesworth.

Anyone saying that what's going on is wrong obviously hasn't coached. This is a tactic used to motivate... Perhaps it won't work as motivation for Albert, but you can bet it'll deter some guys from skipping the offseason work in the future. Set a tone and maintain it. That's what coaching is about. Make people believe in what you're doing and make sure they know the consequences of not doing whats expected.

I'll say it again:

Well done, Coach.

I will say this... too many people in our society have forgotten that football is played by men and that football is a violent and relentless game. The complete wussification of our society is evident every time a football coach gets hammered for... well, for doing his job.

Great football coaches know that in order to win at the highest level they have to push their players farther than they've ever been pushed. The good players find a way to rise up to a new level. The bad ones don't and they are let go.

When it's late in the fourth quarter in week 13 and the team is down by four points in a must-win game, you want your guys to be in peak condition and you want their minds in the right place. You get them there by pushing them. This is how champions are made. They aren't made by coaches coddling them and babying them.

It's funny... Bear Bryant is one of the most renowned college coaches of all time, yet if he were coaching today he'd probably be fired because... you know... his language is just a little too harsh.

These are men who play a violent game. I'd much rather play for a coach who is going to challenge the team and help us rise to levels even we didn't think we could reach than play for a coach who is going to make things easy. Easy gets you beat. In football and in life.

Take off the dress people, this is football. I think Shanahan knows a thing or two about what he's doing.

Very well put, especially your final sentence. We have an established 2-time Superbowl winning coach who has led and motivated 100's if not 1000's of football players over the years; and yet his technique is getting questioned because of his actions in regards to a well-known malcontent. I just don't get it.

I guess people want the same toxic culture and negative paradigms that have plagued this team post 1991-92.

Once again, I applaud your post.

It's INCREDIBLE how people are STILL defending Haynesworth.

Reminds me of the press secretary for Saddam's Iraq saying, "Oh, no, everything's cool! America is failing."

To be honest, I don't think it is as black and white as some people love to make it (it seems like a soap opera message board in here sometimes recently). I think AH handled things very poorly but I also think that the media absolutely loves it and will run with any little thing they can find that will fuel the drama. I also think that AH will have a very good year but people will find something else to whine about if that happens. Nothing new around here, really.

To be honest, I don't think it is as black and white as some people love to make it (it seems like a soap opera message board in here sometimes recently). I think AH handled things very poorly but I also think that the media absolutely loves it and will run with any little thing they can find that will fuel the drama. I also think that AH will have a very good year but people will find something else to whine about if that happens. Nothing new around here, really.

And how does any of that make Coach wrong?

Quit whining ... everyone ... whoevers side you are taking. This is how football problems are handled. They are on the same team ... Shanny is making a guy with immense talent WORK. Thats what he needs to do ... thats what its about. and thats how you win in the hard as **** NFL.

DAMN!!!!

Shanahan is going to do his a few times before he will allow him o practice. Haynesworth knows this and is doing it because he wants to play football in Washington. Haynesworth is going to be very good this year and will try to prove us all wrong. I just hope Shanahan doesn't get carried away.

Let's face it guys, this one is going to end badly. Shanny is not going to stand for this behavior (seriously, taking a bathroom break in the middle of your conditioning test while your head coach is watching?!?!) and Haynesworth is going to continue to do things like take bathroom breaks in the middle of conditioning tests.

Yes, I said it twice. That's all you really need to know about this situation. The Coach should have told him to get the hell off the field and come back when he was ready to be a professional.

Hahah yea man, typical Haynesworth move to ask for a bathroom break in the middle of his test so he could take an extra breather. If albert gets to play the season, shanahan is going to love it when haynesworth starts his routine of laying in the middle of the field between plays. hahah haynesworth is so classic...i keep rooting for him to do the right thing throughout this whole situation and he just lets me down

I just don't like the pettiness and disingenuousness. If you go back and watch the pre-camp interviews with Shanahan yesterday, you could tell that he expected Haynesworth to fail.

Fine, do what you have to do, Coach, but don't try to tell me that you're keeping Albert out of practice for his own protection. I doubt any of the linemen on the team could have passed that test, but you don't bother to test them, because it's just assumed that the conditioning program they've been out of for over a month now is beyond scrutiny. If you were worried about people overexerting themselves, you would have tested every last player.

You didn't do that; you're making an example of someone. Just own up to it.

This will blow over in a few days. Shanny did this for two reasons:

1) To tell AH who is running the show

2) To let the other players know that Shanny has their back. The other players have to love this!

I also think this will help AH rebuild his relationship with the rest of the team. If they see he's doing his 'penance' they might be less likely to be resentful.

I just don't like the pettiness and disingenuousness. If you go back and watch the pre-camp interviews with Shanahan yesterday, you could tell that he expected Haynesworth to fail.

Fine, do what you have to do, Coach, but don't try to tell me that you're keeping Albert out of practice for his own protection. I doubt any of the linemen on the team could have passed that test, but you don't bother to test them, because it's just assumed that the conditioning program they've been out of for over a month now is beyond scrutiny. If you were worried about people overexerting themselves, you would have tested every last player.

He can't own up to it. The NFLPA will crush him.

In Shanny's defense, Albert routinely flopped around like he was dead on the field. I've never seen a player go out on a freaking cart, only to come back from the locker room 10 minutes later no worse for wear. AH was either disingenuous with his display of being unable to continue, or he genuinely was out of shape. If it was the former, then all bets are off. If it's the latter, then why shouldn't the head coach expect him to prove he's better off this season than last? Name another player that dropped more frequently than AH last season? Hell, name a player that's done it more in the history of the NFL? It's Shanny's job to make sure his players are ready to go 4 FULL QUARTERS. Why does AH deserve a benefit of the doubt?

I understand the hatred for haynesworth on this forum. It's what the media has been feeding us since shanahan was hired.

but lets be honest. Shanahan is being an ******* and I expect more than that from the head coach. It's petty and childish.

it'd be one thing if it was a standard conditioning test. But now he's creating drama on his own.

which is funny given his act dueing the pressers about wanting to talk about other things.

I understand the hatred for haynesworth on this forum. It's what the media has been feeding us since shanahan was hired.

but lets be honest. Shanahan is being an ******* and I expect more than that from the head coach. It's petty and childish.

it'd be one thing if it was a standard conditioning test. But now he's creating drama on his own.

which is funny given his act dueing the pressers about wanting to talk about other things.

Well, it seems my being honest and your being honest are two entirely different things...

Archived