Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Haynesworth and Shanahan exchange words after Failed test (MET)

soljaofjesus

I love some of the comments from the Haynesworth apologists. Shows the mentality, integrity level, and complete lack of sense it takes to defend the guy.

Obviously you missed the sarcasm in my tone, so I'll spell it out for you: clearly a player doesn't become the best at his position in the league (which Haynesworth was in 2007 and 2008) by being out of shape. Therefore, Shanahan's alleged comment was childish and obviously incorrect. Therefore, if Shanahan actually said it, then he is the one who looks foolish and petty in that exchange.

So before you start casting aspersions on my integrity, why don't you try and read what you're responding to a little more carefully?

LOL! quite true but a 1/3rd of a mile? come on Albert get your ass in gear!

You've obviously not run many shuttle runs.

Let's get a few things on the table...

1.) He was timed. Can you run a 45 second 300?

2.) Shuttle runs mean you're changing direction every 25 or 50m. My past life when the PE coach made us run them as part of the President's Physical Fitness tests in Jr. High -- and again during basketball practices say that's tougher than you think. And it means the test took longer than 45 seconds.

3.) The NFL game doesn't require 45 second exertions. You could be in football shape without being able to run 600m. Think about that... you'd have to run from one end zone and back three round trips to almost make 600m. Never happens. And to go 300m twice back to back with a huddle or two break? That's not the NFL.

I'm not saying Haynesworth shouldn't be made to do it. You'd much rather a guy be in better than NFL shape than not. Just saying it's not as much of a concern come game day.

Is this even an answer? My question basically was "is MS unquestionable/can he do no wrong?" It seems like anyone who has any sort of reservations or questions about any specific thing he is doing gets the shout down treatment. Then again, that tends to pretty much be par for the course here sometimes. Go against some specific popular opinion and you get people descending on you like harpies.

I agree with you. Flimsy conjecture becomes truth after it's repeated enough. "Malcolm Kelly and Rocky McIntosh are tainted because of degenerative knee conditions." "Albert Haynesworth sucked last year and was out of shape." "LaRon Landry can't cover or play FS." These kinds of attitudes have been repeated as bible for at least as long as I've watched football.

At some point it became the popular opinion around here that Mike Shanahan would be the savior of our organization, instead of another take on his hiring: just another retread collecting a paycheck. Question him and you'll get your fanhood questioned in turn. It's just a specious response.

If someone just cut a check to me for 30 million dollars, and a lot more is coming down the road, I'll run until I puke 10 times a day, 7 days a week, and piss myself as my legs are pumping instead of taking a bathroom break.

Seriously, the money this guy is making cannot even realistically be fathomed by most of us on here.

I don't care if its "fair" or not. Do what you are told and don't complain. Otherwise, return the money and do what you like.

1.) He was timed. Can you run a 45 second 600?

2.) Shuttle runs mean you're changing direction every 25 or 50m. My past life when the PE coach made us run them as part of the President's Physical Fitness tests in Jr. High -- and again during basketball practices say that's tougher than you think. And it means the test took longer than 45 seconds.

3.) The NFL game doesn't require 45 second exertions. You could be in football shape without being able to run 600m. Think about that... you'd have to run from one end zone and back three round trips to almost make 600m. Never happens. And to do it twice back to back with a huddle or two break? That's not the NFL.

I'm not saying Haynesworth shouldn't be made to do it. You'd much rather a guy be in better than NFL shape than not. Just saying it's not as much of a concern come game day.

I do not think it is a 45 second 600, even Olympic athletes can't do that.

The 300 yard shuttle is hard, no doubt but he was able to complete the task. Not once but twice! I agree tat he should not have taken the b-room break (can you say dumb?).

In the past, AH would have shown up, had tea with Dan and Vinny and been on the field with no further discussion. Those days caused this team to be failures in all ways. This new regime is making a stand and saying 'Those days are gone'. And thank heavens that they are. Let the coach do the job he is being paid to do. Fairness has nothing to do with it, get off your liberal high horse let this unfold the way MS knows that it needs to. AH will tow the line or go home, with a brand new HDTV!!

Look. I'm all for coaching and discipline. But if this is true its a bit over the top. You can send a message without the smart ass comments. If you piss him off to much then he just decides to pull a hammy. Which cant be detected on an MRI or anything else. Fat Al would still be entitled to his money and would not have to play a down. The fat **** has talent. I would like to see him use it for us this year.

Was Shanny supposed to back down when Turdsworth questioned him... ? If this exchange is true, it's clearly Shanny marking his turf and saying "I don't care what you have done in the past, I'm the alpha male here."

There can be no question who's in charge, not on a team where players have openly gone above the Coach's heads when they felt whiny or "disrespected."

Is this warranted? Absolutely. Last year he couldn't run more than three plays consecutively and seemed to be carried off the field every other game.

But personally I don't like this. Why have this distraction? What is this going to achieve in the long run? Nothing. A ticked off Haynesworth is not going to help us. The chances he and Shanahan form this Daniel-San / Mr. Miyagi bond on our way to a Super Bowl championship is null.

He's always been a prima donna. He was as a Titan, we knew what we were bringing in here and his performance has not justified keeping him around especially now that we are changing the guard.

We clearly should have never brought him here just trade this guy already even if we have to take a hit and end this circus.

Dare I count all the training camps that our beloved Riggo missed? Shanny's attempt to show who's boss is comical. He who has 100 million has last laugh.

What's comical is our winning history and discipline this team has had in the past decade.

Whine if you do, whine if you don't. Some of you can't be pleased one way or another.

Zorn would never have had the authority/balls to do this to Fat Albert. Fatso would have gone straight into Snyder's office, like Portis always did, and whined about the coach being too rough on him. Then Snyder would call Zorn into his office and read him the Riot Act.

And that's why this team hasn't won jack since Snyder took over...you can't have the inmates running the asylum. No longer the case with Shanny in charge!

600 yards is almost 550 metres. The Olympic record for the 400 metre sprint is 43 seconds. Whoever says Albert has to run 500+ metres in 45 seconds is talKing bull frankly (probably his agent). If he does he should be in the track and field team for the US!

2.) Shuttle runs mean you're changing direction every 25 or 50m.

3.) The NFL game doesn't require 45 second exertions. You could be in football shape without being able to run 600m. Think about that... you'd have to run from one end zone and back three round trips to almost make 600m. Never happens. And to do it twice back to back with a huddle or two break? That's not the NFL.

You know, if you are going to state something, at least know what the **** you are talking about before you start in. It's obvious you are clueless.

He didn't have to run a 45 second 600. It was two 300 yard shuttles broken up with a designated amount of rest time between the two.

Why are you up here stating about what kind of conditioning the NFL requires? Have you ever trained anybody? I doubt it basing off your limited knowledge.

I posted this in another thread that's taken a different direction...so I wanted to add since it's more relevant in here:

I like how Shanahan is handling this too. He has the perfect opportunity to show this team that he is in charge.

Since Gibbs left in 1993, this organization has been run by the players more and more. We had a one-year break from that with Marty and some of it got swept under the rug when Gibbs returned (though I still believe it happened to an extent). Outside of that, the Turner, Spurrier, and Zorn years had very little discipline.

Shanahan might be a little over the top with how he's handling Haynesworth. But if any NFL franchise needed this kick in the ass, it's our Washington Redskins. Hopefully it can work out so that Haynesworth can buy in, get on the field, and contribute/dominate. But the precedent being set for the new era is far more important than any one player.

Is this even an answer? My question basically was "is MS unquestionable/can he do no wrong?" It seems like anyone who has any sort of reservations or questions about any specific thing he is doing gets the shout down treatment. Then again, that tends to pretty much be par for the course here sometimes.

The same thing happened whenever someone dared to question Coach Gibbs as well.

I'm hoping this isn't turning into a contest of who's dick is bigger. If so, I'd have to question Shanahan on that one. I'd rather the Redskins keep the high ground.
I would rather have a team full of team players than having a Prima Donna. Haynesworth wanted to cause a commotion and do his own thing this summer then he is going to have to work to get back on the team.

3.) The NFL game doesn't require 45 second exertions. You could be in football shape without being able to run 600m. Think about that... you'd have to run from one end zone and back three round trips to almost make 600m. Never happens. And to go 300m twice back to back with a huddle or two break? That's not the NFL.

:ols:

No, the 300 yard shuttle is timed, not a 600 yard shuttle. In college, skill guys are usually asked to run a 300 in around 45 seconds and linemen usually have 50 seconds to a minute to complete the test.

The shuttle test is designed to show endurance, which can help with strength and focus. It has little to do with your ability to run, despite that if you looked at it on its face thats what you'd think.

Thanks. I meant 300. I could run a 60 second 400 as the first lap of my mile, so 3/4 of 60...

Then add that it's a shuttle. He's running a lot longer than in a game. That was my point, anyhow.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake.

You know, if you are going to state something, at least know what the **** you are talking about before you start in. It's obvious you are clueless.

He didn't have to run a 45 second 600. It was two 300 yard shuttles broken up with a designated amount of rest time between the two.

Why are you up here stating about what kind of conditioning the NFL requires? Have you ever trained anybody? I doubt it basing off your limited knowledge.

Jeez. I meant 300. It's fixed. It's obvious you take yourself, um, VERY seriously. ;)

No, the 300 yard shuttle is timed, not a 600 yard shuttle. In college, skill guys are usually asked to run a 300 in around 45 seconds and linemen usually have 50 seconds to a minute to complete the test.

See? I'm even bang on on the estimate.

Seriously, though, 50 seconds for shuttles? That's hellah fast, which is sort of what I expected. Shanahan is asking for AH to be in pretty darned good shape, and well beyond what he'd be doing in a series of plays, I'd bet.

See? I'm even bang on on the estimate.

Seriously, though, 50 seconds for shuttles? That's hellah fast, which is sort of what I expected. Shanahan is asking for AH to be in pretty darned good shape, and well beyond what he'd be doing in a series of plays, I'd bet.

Most collegiate players pass the test, for the record. Including linemen.

It's hilarious how Wise and his group on 106.7 the Fail are trying to stir the pot with this whole thing. They are all painting the picture that Haynesworth is the oppressed employee and Shanahan as an ass who is becoming more of a story by doing what coaches typically do.

I totally agree that Haynesworth needs to atone for his offseason sins. If Coach Shanahan did not make himself earn his way back than it would send a bad message to the team and undermine his authority. However, I wonder if Shanahan has any interest in having Haynesworth pass this test and making the team.

Archived