Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Haynesworth and Shanahan exchange words after Failed test (MET)

soljaofjesus

It's hilarious how Wise and his group on 106.7 the Fail are trying to stir the pot with this whole thing. They are all painting the picture that Haynesworth is the oppressed employee and Shanahan as an ass who is becoming more of a story by doing what coaches typically do.

Going for the shock-jock ratings. Too bad it usually works.

Brian you are letting your heart take over more then your head in my opinion. If I am in business and I make a 100 million commitment then I certainly am going to do all I can to get the most out of my investment. Granted, I agree that Ah was selfish and a tool but why compound the fact by everyone acting like tools. Suck it up and try to get the best out of that 100 mil.. Not shoot down and fudge away that investment which will lead to no effort. Think with your head as much as you heart.

Lead to no effort? We're already there with Fat Al. Seriously, did you watch the Redskins play during the 2009-2010 season? Honest question. Because if you had there's no way you'd make a comment like that.

Most collegiate players pass the test, for the record. Including linemen.

The question I have is if this necessarily means you're out of *game* shape. ?? That is, if AH can't quite get under 50, is he necessarily unable to rush effectively play to play?

Again, not excusing AH, but wondering if his not making shuttles now doesn't mean he's going to hurt the team in the season.

Also -- does college run the test throughout the season? Sounds like this is a summer special for Shanahan.

It's hilarious how Wise and his group on 106.7 the Fail are trying to stir the pot with this whole thing. They are all painting the picture that Haynesworth is the oppressed employee and Shanahan as an ass who is becoming more of a story by doing what coaches typically do.

They're going for the least-common-denominator among fans and can screen the phone calls to support their efforts, if they take calls. Wise is a jackass, anyway.

Per 106.7 Haynesworth told some reporters that he was tired of this "stuff" and he just wants to play football.
If he's talking media "stuff", good on him. If he's talking about having to be a coachable player "stuff", then Fat Boy still doesn't get it.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/redskins-will-give-haynesworth.html

After failing another conditioning test, Albert Haynesworth will be given a third attempt to pass it before the Redskins practice Saturday morning.

For the second straight day, Haynesworth was unable to complete the two 300-yard shuttle runs early Friday morning at Redskins Park. Haynesworth will take the same test in hopes of being cleared for practice. Sources said each 300-yard run must be completed in 71 seconds,

Meanwhile, some players have privately expressed concern that Coach Mike Shanahan is simply trying to make an example of Haynesworth because he skipped all but one day of Shanahan's first offseason program. One Redskins defensive player said few players are capable of passing the test only Haynesworth has been required to take because he failed to attend at least 50 percent of the Redskins' offseason workouts.

Other defensive linemen have said that while they ran the same drill as part of the offseason conditioning program, they weren't timed.

Even some team officials acknowledge Haynesworth is clearly in shape and has dropped about 35 pounds since last season. Shanahan is expected to address the situation after practice.

"I'm tired of this [expletive]," Haynesworth told NBC4 Thursday evening. "I just want to get out on field and play football.

:ols:.. man, I was listening to Lavar sit there saying how all it does is cause distractions and confusion (confusion?),, while he sits there doing his best to cause the "distraction" he's worried about.

I tell you what, I thought I'd welcome competition to WTEM but they've failed. Wise is unlistenable, and the only thing Lavar has going for him is I loved him as a player at PSU and he's on opposite John Thompson.

"Doc, I know trainin' camps is gettin' stahted, but le's talk about some USA basketbawl .. whatchoo thank about Kobe?"

Ack! I never thought I'd look FORWARD to Andy Pollin!!!!

~Bang

...the only thing Lavar has going for him is I loved him as a player at PSU and he's on opposite John Thompson.

"Doc, I know trainin' camps is gettin' stahted, but le's talk about some USA basketbawl .. whatchoo thank about Kobe?"

Ack! I never thought I'd look FORWARD to Andy Pollin!!!!

~Bang

:ols:

Man, I can't stand the JT show either. I cringe when that man talks. That show is 1,000% better when JT isn't on it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/29/haynesworth-shanahan-exchange-words-after-failed-conditioning-test/

It's currently our understanding that Haynesworth was the only lineman required to pass the conditioning test. Though some may contend that those who participated in the offseason program earned an exemption, it's our understanding that the test is imposed to ensure that the player is ready to withstand the rigors of training camp. Just because the rest of the players participated in the offseason program, which concluded more than a month ago, doesn't mean they're still in shape. So all of them should have to pass it, or none of them should be expected to try.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/29/haynesworth-shanahan-exchange-words-after-failed-conditioning-test/

Florio is entitled to his opinion, just like all of us, and just like all of us, his opinion doesn't mean diddly until and unless he is hired as the head coach, a scenario about as likely as FA breaking the 4 minute mile.

If this becomes THE story of training camp, then it has become a distraction. One of the coaches complaints about Al not being in voluntary OTS's was that he was not learning and walking through the new defensive scheme.

His being on a treadmill is not helping in that end.

It sounds as if he's has definitely worked hard in the off season and given the video from day one, he looks much slimmer. Granted, it would not have killed him to attend some of the OTA's to keep peace. That is all on him. But give the man an honest test and allow him to pass or fail it.

He is going overboard. But you have to punish these arrogant negro players to keep em in their place.Let em know who Massa is , Right?

:ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols:

Always comes back to race. Hilarious.

It has nothing to do with race. He's a football player that attempted to screw over his team and make waves this offseason. He's making up for lost time.

Society is so soft. Get over it.

Massa :ols:

The question I have is if this necessarily means you're out of *game* shape. ?? That is, if AH can't quite get under 50, is he necessarily unable to rush effectively play to play?

It's not about physical game shape necessarily. I mean, it is, but it's more about focus, mentality and endurance. Having endurance means you can probably keep your strength up for longer periods of time, meaning less trips out of the game. Focus/mentality are one. If you can pass two 300 yard shuttles within the time your focus and determination are probably on point.

Again, not excusing AH, but wondering if his not making shuttles now doesn't mean he's going to hurt the team in the season.

He'll be practicing with the team sooner rather than later. From a coaching perspective (not an NFL coach, obviously) you do as much as you can until the players come together and talk to you as a coach. Once they show that they have bonded or they approach you you've brought the team closer but also allowed them to see that what Haynesworth did this offseason is not okay.

Also -- does college run the test throughout the season? Sounds like this is a summer special for Shanahan.

It's usually a preseason drill, but during the season some teams will run it as conditioning... Timed... But there's usually no penalty for not making it when in season.

Apparently, some of Haynesworth's teammates think that Shanahan is going overboard.
Compare the news article with previous actual quotes of what kind of team player Fat Boy is. Shanny knows what he's doing.

IMO, it's not the physical part of these tests that Fat Boy needs to "pass".

No, the 300 yard shuttle is timed, not a 600 yard shuttle. In college, skill guys are usually asked to run a 300 in around 45 seconds and linemen usually have 50 seconds to a minute to complete the test.

From Mr. Mayor:

Sources said each 300-yard run must be completed in 71 seconds,

Also note...

One Redskins defensive player said few players are capable of passing the test only Haynesworth has been required to take because he failed to attend at least 50 percent of the Redskins' offseason workouts.

Other defensive linemen have said that while they ran the same drill as part of the offseason conditioning program, they weren't timed.

Kinda figured that was the case. Point made, Coach.

From Mr. Mayor:

Also note...

Kinda figured that was the case. Point made, Coach.

Those are very lax standards. D3 colleges ask for more from their athletes. If those are the times that's kind of sad. I had high school kids run the 300 yard shuttle this year. Three times in one day. Linemen had 60 seconds every time. Skills had 52 seconds every time.

Every single player passed out of 35. Every one. One linemen who's about 305 pounds failed the last one by 3 seconds.

Albert can't run two of these in more allowed time? Come on.

Archived