Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Haynesworth and Shanahan exchange words after Failed test (MET)

soljaofjesus

Being a hall-of-famer.....Or more to the point, helping win a championship for the team you play for currently.

Certainly. But in 2007 and 2008, it would be difficult to dominate any more than Haynesworth did. He was the best at his position in the entire league, clearly he was in shape. So clearly Shanahan's comment was a smartass one that would make him look like the foolish one IF he actually said it. I don't think he did because the whole situation is just too silly and Mike Florio is usually wrong about everything anyway.

Mike Shanahan isn't a nice guy though so it wouldn't entirely surprise me--that goes all of the way back to his San Francisco days when he was a competitive raving maniac who loved to run the score up on crappy teams. And one can't help but see the ugliness in how Jake Plummer was chased out of Denver too. I really hope Shanahan doesn't do the same with Albert. We aren't so talented that we can afford to run one of our most talented players out of town to placate our coach's hurt ego.

Some of these comments I've read make me sick!

Albert Haynesworth skipped the ENTIRE off season workout program, INCLUDING the mandatory sessions. Then he comes into camp and has to use the rest room in the middle of his conditioning test??? Pahleez.. Shanahan was right for trying to run him until he puked. My coach made me do it when I was simply late for a practice in college. And I make my players run when they miss or are late for practice too. Coaching is not a democracy its a dictatorship!

But didn't Allen do well during his time in Oakland? And look at how long Shanny was a fine coach in Denver before being run out of town. I think his was a case of wearing out the welcome. Often, a long time coach will be sent packing after a couple disappointing seasons because people will convince the owner that the team needs to go in a new direction. But given the average tenure of most NFL coaches in one city, he had a great run in Denver.

I don't know much about Allen's resume in Oakland, but I sincerely hope he wasn't part of certain decisions they've made this decade (drafting a kicker in the first round). Anyway, Allen's record in the draft in Tampa Bay was downright awful and they went from winning the Superbowl a couple of years before he got there to old and awful on his watch. Allen seems like a nice guy and is a good spokesman for the front office, but I have absolutely no faith in his expertise in acquiring personnel and team building. When he was hired, I just kind of shook my head. I wish we'd been able to pry away Eric DeCosta instead.

Shanahan had a great year in 2005 but other than that, Denver hasn't done much at all. IMO, the relevant years for us are the most recent ones, and those are among his worst. He's a great offensive coach but he was a failure as a team builder in Denver and that's ultimately why he was fired. Unfortunately for us, we went 4-12 with the oldest roster in the league last year and we are desperately in need of a FO that can successfully build a team from the ground up. My initial impression is that we didn't get that from Allen and Shanahan, but I'm willing to wait and see what they can do with a few more offseasons. At least we aren't doing what the Seahawks are doing though. If nothing else, Shanahan should be able to pick us out a good quarterback and some receivers and set up a good offensive line before he gets fired or retires.

Some of these comments I've read make me sick!

Albert Haynesworth skipped the ENTIRE off season workout program, INCLUDING the mandatory sessions. Then he comes into camp and has to use the rest room in the middle of his conditioning test??? Pahleez.. Shanahan was right for trying to run him until he puked. My coach made me do it when I was simply late for a practice in college. And I make my players run when they miss or are late for practice too. Coaching is not a democracy its a dictatorship!

The NFL is not high school or college. These are men who, in some instances, make several times what the coaches make. You have to treat them like men and not boys.

stevemcqueen knows what he's talking about here.

A lot of other people who have posted in this thread...not so much.

Shanahan can put Haynesworth in his place by making a public example out of him on the first day. Fine. But he shouldn't push this too far.

I just don't like the pettiness and disingenuousness. If you go back and watch the pre-camp interviews with Shanahan yesterday, you could tell that he expected Haynesworth to fail.

Fine, do what you have to do, Coach, but don't try to tell me that you're keeping Albert out of practice for his own protection. I doubt any of the linemen on the team could have passed that test, but you don't bother to test them, because it's just assumed that the conditioning program they've been out of for over a month now is beyond scrutiny. If you were worried about people overexerting themselves, you would have tested every last player.

You didn't do that; you're making an example of someone. Just own up to it.

Sorry dude but it looks like this one went right over your head.

I also think this will help AH rebuild his relationship with the rest of the team. If they see he's doing his 'penance' they might be less likely to be resentful.

That's another thing people are missing. This is making AH part of the team. In essense, he's doing his offseason workouts right now.

This is really not that big of a deal at all in the longrun.

In three days no one will give a damn whether or not Shanahan gave Albert a hard time on day one.

No one.

Know why?

Because there will be some other minor thing that will drive everyone to the heights of hysteria.

Awww. so Mike Shanahan put the screws to a prima donna player. Aww. And the prima donna player didn't complain about it, and according to what I've heard was the last man out of the parking lot. Of course it's an unmitigated disaster, enough to destroy everything. We should have cut the best interior lineman in the league, Shanahan shouldn't be so petty...:blahblah:

Get it all ou of your systems now, because by Monday Rocky MacIntosh is likely to stub a toe prompting calls for his immediate cutting along with the firing of the coach working his toe so hard, :blahblah:

Newsflash. It's not the end of the world. It does not signify any fracturing. It is the first day of camp, and that's it. The instant Albert busts into the backfield it's all water under the bridge.

~Bang

The NFL is not high school or college. These are men who, in some instances, make several times what the coaches make. You have to treat them like men and not boys.

Jeez man... Did someone who looked like Allen and MS bully you in high school? You have done NOTHING but criticize two ppl with more SB titles than this whole team probably combined. If you're a huge AH fan, that's cool and yes Mike comes across as a bit of a d*** in this but its not gonna make a difference after he passes later on today. Chill man

oh and all of shanny's recent Denver teams where probably better than us in that actual season so say what you want, it's an upgrade

If Haynesworth was a two time all-pro without ever being in shape, then what the hell is the point of being in shape?

I love some of the comments from the Haynesworth apologists. Shows the mentality, integrity level, and complete lack of sense it takes to defend the guy.

300 yard shuttle runs, wow?!

actually, the article says 300 yard 'sets' which I assume means you would do various runs that would add up to 300 yards at the end of it.

Also, when we say 'WOW' to this consider that two sets (as the article mentions) amounts to 600 yards of running...just ONE THIRD of ONE MILE. This guy is supposed to be a stud $20m+ football player. But he cant run 1/3rd of a mile. Seriously? 'never done it' in the past? that is a joke. Anyone on this forum that goes to a gym or works out would cover that distance in minutes. Pathetic.

Well.....

In past yrs if players participated in a certain % of OTA's the players didn't have to do the drill. For some reason I thought Gibbs implimented this idea, which is why he had a lot of the players at OTA's. For those who didn't stick around for OTA's they were given a test.

Now on a second note... Shanahan has been hounded by media pundits about AH and would he be traded, would he show up, and what position will he play. I'm sure Shanahan got tired of the BS and it all could have been stopped by AH simply showing up for OTA's or talking with the media and saying "I'm a Skin and I plan to show up and play whatever position they want me to play." Instead Shanahan plays 20 questions with every interview and shouldn't have had to. Now it's time for AH to sweat it out. Let him play 20 questions in regards to his showing up supposedly in shape and not being able to pass the required test. lol. (even if no one could pass it).

I also heard that it's a possibility that Shanahan or the team puts AH on PUP list. lol. They could sit him all year and embarrasse him or pull him off the PUP list at any time. How pissed off would AH be after working his butt off and losing close to 40 lbs to be put on the PUP list and not playing. lol. I honestly doubt this happens unless AH quickly comes up with an injury like a hamstring or groin pull or something.

I'm hoping this isn't turning into a contest of who's dick is bigger. If so, I'd have to question Shanahan on that one. I'd rather the Redskins keep the high ground.

It's no contest. The coach is taking the high ground, laziness and insubordination are not accepted on this team any longer. :D

Not me. It made me cringe because of how obviously stupid and catty it was. I really hope Shanahan never said anything like that. If Haynesworth was a two time all-pro without ever being in shape, then what the hell is the point of being in shape?

To not get injured, to maximize his talent and not roll around on the ground winded?

So because he is MS that means it is heresy to ask questions or wonder about how he is handling a specific situation? Please.

Only the 'me' generation would question this. AH has been doing his own thing which is detrimental to the overall team. MS needs to correct this which he is.

actually, the article says 300 yard 'sets' which I assume means you would do various runs that would add up to 300 yards at the end of it.

Also, when we say 'WOW' to this consider that two sets (as the article mentions) amounts to 600 yards of running...just ONE THIRD of ONE MILE. This guy is supposed to be a stud $20m+ football player. But he cant run 1/3rd of a mile. Seriously? 'never done it' in the past? that is a joke. Anyone on this forum that goes to a gym or works out would cover that distance in minutes. Pathetic.

Not everyone on this forum is 300+ lbs either.

Certainly. But who (aside from Gibbs, who obviously, and unfortunately changed between his two stints) has won a super bowl as a head coach that we've seen leading this team in the past 2 decades?

Every coach has to pull back. Lombardi left Green Bay. The Tuna went to Dallas. Jimmy Johnson got (for all intents and purposes) canned. Good coaches have to move on for the sake of the team for fear of staleness.

But, as far as a Danny signing, you have a good point....But what does Danny's sign on his door state? See the coach....

Another question, and one that made me skeptical of the Shanahan hire to begin with:

How many coaches in NFL history have won a superbowl with 2 different teams?

Because thats what we're hoping. That he can be one of the few to win another superbowl.

I'm not saying he can't, and I'm certainly not saying we're not in the best position we've been in since Snyder took over. I'm just the type of person who looks at historical statistics (but feel stats in general can be made to say whatever you want) and trends and say - wait a minute, this isn't normally the most successful approach :(.

Not me. It made me cringe because of how obviously stupid and catty it was. I really hope Shanahan never said anything like that. If Haynesworth was a two time all-pro without ever being in shape, then what the hell is the point of being in shape?

He was only a two time all-pro during contract years. Imagine that. Can you all stop defending this douche bag now?

Only the 'me' generation would question this. AH has been doing his own thing which is detrimental to the overall team. MS needs to correct this which he is.

Is this even an answer? My question basically was "is MS unquestionable/can he do no wrong?" It seems like anyone who has any sort of reservations or questions about any specific thing he is doing gets the shout down treatment. Then again, that tends to pretty much be par for the course here sometimes. Go against some specific popular opinion and you get people descending on you like harpies.

Archived