Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Haynesworth and Shanahan exchange words after Failed test (MET)

soljaofjesus

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/29/haynesworth-shanahan-exchange-words-after-failed-conditioning-test/

We've been very critical -- and rightfully so -- of Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, whose refusal to attempt to earn more than $30 million he has been paid by the team was punctuated by a decision not to show up for a mandatory minicamp.

But it's important to remember that Haynesworth isn't exactly beating up on a singing-impaired choir boy. Coach Mike Shanahan has, in our estimation, taken a few liberties with reality when it comes to the Haynesworth situation, and we're now beginning to believe that Shanahan intentionally gave Haynesworth a conditioning test that Shanahan knew he would fail.

Per a league source (and forgive me if someone else has reported this, but power is out at our undisclosed beach location and I'm trying to conserve the battery in my laptop and my Sprint mobile hot spot, which is performing incredibly well during an intense barrage of lightning), Haynesworth completed the assigned pair of 300-yard shuttle runs, but Shanahan then decided that he had too much rest between the two attempts, due to a bathroom break.

The source says that Shanahan told Haynesworth that he "needed to get in shape." Haynesworth then said that he couldn't have completed three 300-yard shuttle runs even in his Pro Bowl/All-Pro years.

Said Shanahan in response, "I guess you have never been in shape then." (It's unknown whether Shanahan then said, "Boom. Roasted.")

It's currently our understanding that Haynesworth was the only lineman required to pass the conditioning test. Though some may contend that those who participated in the offseason program earned an exemption, it's our understanding that the test is imposed to ensure that the player is ready to withstand the rigors of training camp. Just because the rest of the players participated in the offseason program, which concluded more than a month ago, doesn't mean they're still in shape. So all of them should have to pass it, or none of them should be expected to try.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/29/haynesworth-shanahan-exchange-words-after-failed-conditioning-test/

I'm sure this just came down to a "who's is bigger?" contest and it looks like Shanahan won this time. I don't see this being much of a story, outside of it involving Haynesworth. He needed to be shown that he can't just come back like nothing happened. I think this will blow over, much like the storms today.

. Just because the rest of the players participated in the offseason program, which concluded more than a month ago, doesn't mean they're still in shape. So all of them should have to pass it, or none of them should be expected to try.

Nobody cares what you think Florio

i am sure shanahan is just making a point to AH and that AH understands now afterall they probably talked in private after the test and that Ah will pass with flying colors tomorrow.

shanahan knows how to manage egos and put them in place without humiliating them without reason

I'm hoping this isn't turning into a contest of who's dick is bigger. If so, I'd have to question Shanahan on that one. I'd rather the Redskins keep the high ground.

It is amazing how you are already questioning Shanahan when the old regime could do no wrong in your eyes.

Nice to have a real coach in DC isn't it? Everyone on the team knows who is running things. If you don't? He'll make damn sure you figure it out one way or another?

Hope you enjoyed you're time off during mini camp Al! Good luck on those 300's that you'll be running again shortly. lol

Nice to have a real coach in DC isn't it? Everyone on the team knows who is running things. If you don't? He'll make damn sure you figure it out one way or another?

Hope you enjoyed you're time off during mini camp Al! Good luck on those 300's that you'll be running again shortly. lol

Agreed. It used to be the star players could just run to Danny. Not anymore.

What the hell is Shanahan doing. Haynesworth said he is ready to come back and I guessed he apologized or whatever and is ready to go. Now Shanahan is playing games and giving conditioning tests to a "selected individual". You guys think Shanahan has the last laugh? You don't think Haynesworth can't get back at Shanahan?

This guy already don't know anything about defense and now he is playing games with a possible "difference maker" player on our defense. Man tell him to only worry about the offense man. Already did enough damage by hiring Jim Haslett and switching to a 3-4.

It is amazing how you are already questioning Shanahan when the old regime could do no wrong in your eyes.

Look, I've been first in line on many occasions to whoop up on some Albert. But he may have a slight point. In all honesty....Al did complete the test in it's entirety. The problem was the bathroom break and them saying he took too long. Therefore having him to start over. What probably happened was he took 30 seconds longer than allotted on that break.

I'm all for not giving him a free pass, but this here sounds like a bit of animosity spilling over. Don't flame the fire when it's starting to die out... Prove your point but don't be petty about it.

Kinda like what my grandfather use to say...."Never argue with an idiot, because from a distance you can't tell which is which..." He tried to make a point... failed and you stood your ground...won! Now move on...

At this point it ain't a matter of him not being in shape, I really don't believe that's the case. It's the Principles that are the issue... Be here with the team!!! Not doing your own thing. True you lost the weight and may be in good shape but that's not the issue. Your team is relying on you to be here with them.

Archived