Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Senator Kennedy's Death: What It Means to You

Special K

Okay, after harrassing people in the Michael Jackson death thread for coming into that original thread and bashing him, I found myself in the same boat with the Senator Kennedy thread. So, I am trying not to be too much of a hypocrite and thought I would start a thread for people to discuss their thoughts about Kennedy's death. While I expect there to be some drastically different views on this issue, hopefully it won't turn into too much of a trainwreck...

So, what do you really think about his life and death? Has Chappaquiddick tainted your view of his career? If so, is that fair?

As for my thoughts on this whole thing, I really have had a hard time garnering respect for Senator Kennedy no matter what good he worked toward in his career. I have just had a really, really hard time forgetting his involvement in the Chappaquiddick incident...

This was the conversation I was involved in in the other thread and thought better to continue here...

You're filling in a lot of blanks there. Kennedy claimed that he tried to save her. His friends backed up his story that they all went back and made attempts to dive in and find her. Nobody really knows whether Mary Jo could have been saved if police had been called immediately.

No one "knows" if she could have been saved? That's completely beside the point. No one knows if anyone can be saved after a car accident. That is not an excuse to leave the scene and not call the authorities...especially when one is almost 40 and knows better. Sorry, but not even the most shrewd lawyer can come up with "reasons" that would excuse that type of behavior.

Also, I will point that there were never any alcohol tests (and there were never any such tests for Laura Bush either).

So you are now saying he wasn't drunk? After you had stated in a previos post he was? And not having the alcohol factor in that whole equation makes that an even more heinous act, as he left a girl to die with all his mental faculties.

He did a horrible thing 40 years ago. He did a lot of other things with his life. Should Chappaquiddick define his entire life?

Not sure, maybe we should ask Mary Jo's family??? I'm pretty sure it's defined a significant part of their lives...

First, I love how people can't find it within themselves to find a single thing positive to say about someone even when they die, unreal.

With that said, I find myself with mixed feelings about Ted Kennedy. For a long time he was seen in my eyes as everything that was bad with politics, with his hit and run and with the way he played in the Senate. I do think though that his lifelong desire to see real health care reform will be one of his lasting memories for me, that and his endorsement of Obama which truly served to legitimize Obama for many many a person who was on the fence about voting for him. With that one move he distanced himself from the Clintons and really showed that Obama was a serious contender who could get major endorsements. While Ted will always be remembered as a politician's politician who made many serious mistakes, I hope that there will also be room in those memories for the good that he did and tried to do.

With that said, I find myself with mixed feelings about Ted Kennedy. For a long time he was seen in my eyes as everything that was bad with politics, with his hit and run and with the way he played in the Senate. I do think though that his lifelong desire to see real health care reform will be one of his lasting memories for me, that and his endorsement of Obama which truly served to legitimize Obama for many many a person who was on the fence about voting for him. With that one move he distanced himself from the Clintons and really showed that Obama was a serious contender who could get major endorsements. While Ted will always be remembered as a politician's politician who made many serious mistakes, I hope that there will also be room in those memories for the good that he did and tried to do.

Okay, I might not be one of those not really being able to say anything positive about the man...but I do very much appreciate your response. I am actually interested in hearing from his supporters or people who didn't hate him how they summed up Teddy's life.

I feel just a little bit safer today.

Don't you think that's a bit much?

Anyway, my thoughts...

Personally, I'm not upset. I respect everybody's opinion. However, like I said earlier, I tend not to be negative about people when they've juts passed. That applies for people I know and people I don't

Just the way I am.

Not much to say. I feel sorry for his family since Eunice just died 2 weeks ago.

However, the practical conservative in me thinks, since it take like 6 months to replace a Senator in Mass, that it will be one less Democrat to break a Republican filibuster on Obama's HC legislation. Is that wrong?

First, I love how people can't find it within themselves to find a single thing positive to say about someone even when they die, unreal.

One of the most sickening things about death, is the phoniness of some people, crying, lying, and talking about what a good person so&so was, while when they were living, they had nothing good/nice to say.

(This means people, in general, and not you specifically here, ASF)

Death, should not change how we feel about someone, be it good, or bad.

Ted, like John & Bobby, meant nothing good or positive to me.

Except that all three were grossly overrated, and unworthy beneficiaries of public praise. John and Bobby, because of how they were murdered. And Ted, who benefited as a political figure for the rest of his life, because of it.

I'm pretty sure that everyone in the tailgate is aware of my politics and views on all things political. No need to re-emphasize it.

Sen. Kennedy was certainly controversial and was a lightning rod/target for conservatives. However, when an icon (or any political figure) on the left or right passes away, it is time to put aside the differences for a few days. It should be a time for prayers and thoughts for the families of those who are affected the most.

RIP Sen. Kennedy. Prayers and thoughts for his family, loved ones, and friends.

Katie with the win thread. I love it.

I could care less, I met the guy twice and he lived up to his reputation of being hammered and frisky.

He certainly pulled a name recognition thing and continued to be relevant to voters. I wont deny that his call for health reform was great...but the rest of his peers just looked at him as a drunk. That doesn't help ask Slacky.

While I do not agree with much of Sen Kennedy's policies, I admire the fact that he, with all the horrible things that happened to his family, continued to serve his country. He has at times set aside party to accomplish policy changes.

Setting aside his indiscretions that resulted in a woman's death, one has to take into account the body of work.

Archived