Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Senator Kennedy's Death: What It Means to You

Special K

First, I love how people can't find it within themselves to find a single thing positive to say about someone even when they die, unreal.

Go to the other thread and you will see 95% of the people are saying NOTHING but positive things about him, even if it's just a RIP.

People are saying his drunk driving incident tarnishes his legacy, but I think it was his insane notion that government run programs are successfull that makes me doubt his political contributions. That said, I respect the fact that there are many folks that disagree with me, as many did with him, and I hope that he rests in peace.

Well he was a king, errra, Kennedy and a big POS.

40 years and allot of speeches doesnt forgive what he did.

Sorry that he had to go with brain cancer, I am sure he was in allot of pain and it probably was rough on his family - but Ms Koepechne probably suffered immensely before her lungs burst, not to mention her family.

sen. Kennedy was certainly controversial and was a lightning rod/target for conservatives. However, when an icon (or any political figure) on the left or right passes away, it is time to put aside the differences for a few days. It should be a time for prayers and thoughts for the families of those who are affected the most.

Rip sen. Kennedy. Prayers and thoughts for his family, loved ones, and friends.

+1

Okay, I might not be one of those not really being able to say anything positive about the man...but I do very much appreciate your response. I am actually interested in hearing from his supporters or people who didn't hate him how they summed up Teddy's life.

Keeastman, if you ever leave this board I think I'll just quit coming here, we may disagree on issues but I totally respect your honesty and the fact that you don't come across as a hater, something that I struggle with all to often. :cheers:

For what it's worth I don't think that people should universally adore or respect anyone during a mourning period. If you have problems with someone's character, just because they die doesn't mean they never existed. But, two important points should be taken into account when talking about the recently dead... first, sharp criticism may hurt those close to the dead, and finally the fact that the person is dead and can't defend his name kind of makes it a little unfair... so it's best to keep one's opinion to one's self during the early mourning period if that opinion isn't positive.

When a person you hate, loath, despise etc dies, you are no longer arguing or directing your "hate" at them. You are now debating and placing the "hate" on their surrogates. It's THOSE people who deserve time to mourn and celebrate their fondness for the deceased before they are forced to fight for that persons legacy.

There will be plenty of time to discuss what Kennedy did, didnt do, should have done etc.

Keeastman, if you ever leave this board I think I'll just quit coming here, we may disagree on issues but I totally respect your honesty and the fact that you don't come across as a hater, something that I struggle with all to often. :cheers:

I don't think you struggle with honesty, unless you mean the "too much" variety. :silly:

I always wonder about threads like this, because I figure that when a person dies, it is a time for friends and family to grieve, not to rehash that person's mistakes or offer opinions about the awful things he or she has done.

If you're religious, then Ted Kennedy will be judged by someone/something, and it isn't you.

If you're not religious, then he's gone forever without a trace.

Either way, the old saying that if "you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" seems a good policy, except that if you publically announce that you are doing it, rather than just doing it, you're not really doing it at all.

So many people have 40+ years in the Senate/Congress.

Term limits... is all I think when i think Kennedy.

I couldn't agree with you more. Congress should be a brief stop for citizens who contribute to society in other ways. Not a place for career power grabbers to hoarde as much influence as they can over a long career. If people could only serve 6-8 years on Congress they would be much more in touch with what is going on in the real world where their constituients live and work.

Either way, the old saying that if "you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" seems a good policy, except that if you publically announce that you are doing it, rather than just doing it, you're not really doing it at all.

So are you doing it? :evilg:

Count me in with ASF and Burgundy Burner. I've never been particularly fond of Kennedy due in part to his ultra-liberal politics and the Chappaquiddick incident.

Even so, I have always had a lot of respect for him. After Chappaquiddick, he managed to at least salvage his political career and was key in pushing through some really good legislation, e.g. S. Africa sanctions, Americans with Disabilities Act etc. Does any of that absolve him of responsibility for his prior actions? Obviously not. However, we all make mistakes and all we can control is what we do in the future.

In short, I think of him as a liberal version of Newt Gingrich. That is to say, he was a brilliant politician with a real problem with impulse control in his personal life.

I'm anti- both.

I voted for 2 Repubs and 1 Dem for Prez. May vote Repub for gov. in 10 but I think both parties are full of ****.

I agree.......but I think we're a LOOOONG way away from seeing an Independent Party president.

And even then, there's still the Congress that's heavily divided, and an Independent president would still have to meddle with a bi-partisan Congress, which almost makes an Independent President, irrelevant, by himself.

I always wondered why the called him "The Lion".

Turns it out, they were talkin about his "Lion" activity in the Senate, and I always thought it was because he was "Lyin" to himself about what happened at Chappequiddick.

Ever notice that something seems really really clever in our minds and then when we actually say it or type we realize that it wasn't nearly as we had clever as we thought?

Archived