Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andre Carter is improved

D'Pablo

And this is exactly what I was wondering, not are you going to do something new but rather are you going to do something old again that worked.

There has been a lot said over the last few years about "the good old days" and how ES used to be, this was an element in that. Members took responsibility for what they brought to the table, and not always willingly but in the end it made for better conversation and a more tightly knit community.

And this is exactly what I was wondering, not are you going to do something new but rather are you going to do something old again that worked.

There has been a lot said over the last few years about "the good old days" and how ES used to be, this was an element in that. Members took responsibility for what they brought to the table, and not always willingly but in the end it made for better conversation and a more tightly knit community.

That's correct. And both Steve and Terp KNOW this, so, they, in particular need to shut up or at least quit pretending like they weren't around when we actually took twits to task EVERY post.

Terps and Steve, let me help you on a couple things.

We're fans who moderate a message board. As far as I know, there are no professional gigs for this. Mods at every board for every topic seek to create an environment. Prior to the team taking us over, we routinely changed thread titles, handed out funny avatars and made people who we did not feel placed well in our community -- the one WE tried to create -- feel out of place until they left or changed.

Since the team took over, we've taken a higher level view that no fan should be denied the opportunity to experience even a LITTLE bit of the additional access we may have, so, we've actually allowed more goofy garbage than ever before. We actually still will.

But, we may also assure those who've decided to rub the noses of fans here in THEIR stink when we're having a bad week at least feel the sting of their actions when we have a good one. You're just going to have to understand that and come to embrace it, cause, THAT ain't gonna change.

Well said. When I first came here, Trolls and the likes got embarassing avatars left and right. If anything, the Mods here have had to hold back against all of these fair weather fans, and they still manage to hold their own.

If anybody dislikes the way ES is run, I'm sure they'll find a home at the Warpath.

You should remove yourself as a mod' date=' Tarhog. I have no problem defending myself. The Lions can't protect their QB. Kitna was the most sacked QB in the NFL coming into this game. The Lions didn't bother running until the second half, and it worked! I saw Carter get run out of the play on every draw they ran.[/quote']

Problem is, there is no defense for your viewpoint. You said Carter sucks. OTOH, most of us said in essence he's not the best DE in the NFL but he does bring value, helps the team, and will look even better once we get another pass rushing threat. If things were as you say, Carter wouldn't have done much of anything even against the sorry Lions OL.

Given that, the title of the thread is quite appropriate as well as the "Dpablo got pwned" link. Just accept your ownage and move on.

I was a little taken aback from this when I say it yesterday. But from reading Art's explanation this morning about how things used to be done, I'm all for it. I have no problem with criticism as long as its well placed, but the original meaning of this thread wasn't and there has been a lot of this on ES.

Keep it up Art! Now I'm even more disappointed I didn't know about this board 'back in the old days'

Terps and Steve, let me help you on a couple things.

We're fans who moderate a message board. As far as I know, there are no professional gigs for this. Mods at every board for every topic seek to create an environment. Prior to the team taking us over, we routinely changed thread titles, handed out funny avatars and made people who we did not feel placed well in our community -- the one WE tried to create -- feel out of place until they left or changed.

Since the team took over, we've taken a higher level view that no fan should be denied the opportunity to experience even a LITTLE bit of the additional access we may have, so, we've actually allowed more goofy garbage than ever before. We actually still will.

But, we may also assure those who've decided to rub the noses of fans here in THEIR stink when we're having a bad week at least feel the sting of their actions when we have a good one. You're just going to have to understand that and come to embrace it, cause, THAT ain't gonna change.

I was around before the merger, so I'm well aware of all of this. The tact with this thread title change, which started out in humor, became a more direct attack of the poster than was typical. Atleast to my recollection. Heck, I don't know. Maybe I'm just off kilter after a convincing win and am not thinking clearly. :) Whatever. It's all good. It was an idiotic post and he deserved to be taken to task over it.

I was around before the merger, so I'm well aware of all of this. The tact with this thread title change, which started out in humor, became a more direct attack of the poster than was typical. Atleast to my recollection. Heck, I don't know. Maybe I'm just off kilter after a convincing win and am not thinking clearly. :) Whatever. It's all good. It was an idiotic post and he deserved to be taken to task over it.

Steve,

The shift came when D'Pablo showed up and changed the title back. So, I changed it. Do you know, dating back YEARS AND YEARS we have usergroups for "spanked" members. Members who have full posting rights, but, we've removed their ability to edit their own posts. Do you know why those groups exist?

Because of this thread :). And they've been here for years.

Once D'Pablo changed it back, I spanked him, and made it this. He's got three choices. First, he can ignore this and pretend it doesn't exist and live without ever addressing it saying whatever he wants at all times forever. Second, he can admit his comment was at least a little strange given reality and while he may still think it's valid, he understand the timing made him appear like a jerk and for that, a community "my bad." Or, third, he can leave. I'm pretty sure he took door 3.

And that, my friend, is a GOOD DAY here.

Um. This is a Redskins forum.

The fact of the matter is, the guy was wrong. So what? Threads get bumped, people point out he was wrong, he loses credibility.

Changing the title seems unprofessional and demanding an apology on behalf of AC just seems outlandish.

So what? So this crap continues week in and week out, and now enough people are finally fed up with it that people are being held accountable for statements that are clearly devoid of any facts or real thought.

Starting a thread saying "Carter sucks" and only putting in opinion and biased observations doesn't seem unprofessional?

The mod changed the title to "D'pablo sucks" in humor. Why is that uncalled for, yet D'pablo's said "Andre Carter sucks" and humor was not his intent, nor was intellectual debate. He started this thread just to trash a player. That's much worse. If you don't understand the difference by now, then you never will. Anyways, D'pablo then decided to change the thread title back to the original "Andre Carter sucks" rather than own up like a man. He then went on to post in this thread that Carter still sucks, eventhough facts and stats (you know, those things that actually prove an argument) dictate otherwise. The mod changed it again, and D'Pablo changed the title, yet again, to "**** you". I didn't see the mod actually demand an apology, just say that D'pablo didn't owe him an apology, rather Carter. So D'pablo, like a lot of other "realists" was held accountable for his egregious statements, couldn't admit he was wrong, and is now reaping what he sowed.

I love how offended the "realists" get when they are held accountable. Yet they don't seem to think their outlandish comments are offensive to others, or more importantly, to the coaches and players.

I think it would be different if the thread was originally titled "Andre Carter not all he's cracked up to be" or "Andre Carter struggling against run" or hell... even "I'm not a fan of Andre Carter"

But "Andre Carter sucks" is a chicken-**** title for a thread. I guarantee D'ablo would never say it to his face, so why would he type it on a message board?

And to see D'ablo whine like a little girl when someone says HE sucks (which he does)... pretty much tells you all you need to know about the guy.

Honestly I'm not sure why anyone is defending the guy. And for the record, I'm usually one of the first people to tell the swarm to lay off. But in this case, D'ablo deserves every bit and then some. This was a classless, cowardly, chicken-**** thread from the get go, and he should have been called on it REGARDLESS of Carter's performance.

Good riddance D'ablo. Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya.

In all honesty, #99 responsibility is to rush the passer while its up to the defensive tackles to contain the run. So its not his fault they were running to his side and he was unable to help with run support. The man had 2 sacks and 1 for a safety. Andre is far from being sucky, he's by far our best line man.

Steve,

The shift came when D'Pablo showed up and changed the title back. So, I changed it. Do you know, dating back YEARS AND YEARS we have usergroups for "spanked" members. Members who have full posting rights, but, we've removed their ability to edit their own posts. Do you know why those groups exist?

Because of this thread :). And they've been here for years.

Once D'Pablo changed it back, I spanked him, and made it this. He's got three choices. First, he can ignore this and pretend it doesn't exist and live without ever addressing it saying whatever he wants at all times forever. Second, he can admit his comment was at least a little strange given reality and while he may still think it's valid, he understand the timing made him appear like a jerk and for that, a community "my bad." Or, third, he can leave. I'm pretty sure he took door 3.

And that, my friend, is a GOOD DAY here.

You forgot 3A.

He took off with Redskinloyal_1 to get measured for his Cowboy jersey.

I guess I've been around a long time too, and I thought this was real funny yesterday, but it definitely gets less funny as time goes on ... it's killing my Redskins victory mojo.

Changing the thread from "Carter sucks" to "D'Pablo Sucks" was perfect. It was some gentle ribbing in the shadow of a great team victory, and it's part of what makes this board a fun place to read and post.

What should have happened is that D'Pablo should have come into the thread and said, "Okay, guys, real funny - Carter had a great game and I was wrong about him." Everyone would have laughed, we would have sung Hail to the Redskins, and this thread would have dropped off the page. D'Pablo could have gone back to being D'Pablo instead of being the guy who made the ridiculous post about Andre Carter.

Instead, D'Pablo stubbornly defended his post, gave a non-apology apology, and generally sucked the life out of a fun thread after a fun victory. For that, he should certainly suffer, and maybe the new thread title is appropriate for that ...

But the new thread title is not funny. It's unnecessary drama, and I guess there's nobody to blame but D'Pablo, since he refused to retract his statement. I can forgive him for being wrong about Andre Carter (because people are wrong about things all the time here), but if you can't laugh about being wrong after a big win, then maybe you deserve a little public humiliation...

Eh, whatever ... this thread is a buzzkill. Bring on the Packers! :packsuck:

I think that one of the funny things here (funny/sad as opposed to funny/haha) is that this thread coulda-shoulda-woulda been old news and slipping down page two before 5o'clock yesterday if the OP had just given it the ole college try with "Hey, I pulled a boner, I f'ed up and I'll try not to do it again" or something to that effect. It's not all that hard, your manhood isn't called in question (in fact not doing it seems to make that happen) and it really isn't too much to ask that people accept some measure of responsibility for their own words. Nobody hacked his acct and posted it for him, nobody kidnapped him and made him do a Patty Hearst imitation, so why is so hard to buy into "You took the dump, you clean it up"?

Sheeeesh, as usual Dj beats me to the punch while I'm typing and does a better job of it. :doh:

D'Pablo screwed up with an inflammatory title - and with its timing, coming out of nowhere in the middle of the week.

But go back and look at the content of his post. It is an opinion that Carter is weak against the run and is too light to be an every down defensive end. Many might disagree, some might actually agree. (Though I suspect less would admit to agreeing after Carter's stellar performance yesterday!) Despite his blunt title, the content was hardly troll-like or outrageous.

But the swarm outdid themselves with the reaction to this one. And personally, I think we diminished ourselves and the board with the mob attack.

I guess I've been around a long time too, and I thought this was real funny yesterday, but it definitely gets less funny as time goes on ... it's killing my Redskins victory mojo.

Changing the thread from "Carter sucks" to "D'Pablo Sucks" was perfect. It was some gentle ribbing in the shadow of a great team victory, and it's part of what makes this board a fun place to read and post.

What should have happened is that D'Pablo should have come into the thread and said, "Okay, guys, real funny - Carter had a great game and I was wrong about him." Everyone would have laughed, we would have sung Hail to the Redskins, and this thread would have dropped off the page. D'Pablo could have gone back to being D'Pablo instead of being the guy who made the ridiculous post about Andre Carter.

Instead, D'Pablo stubbornly defended his post, gave a non-apology apology, and generally sucked the life out of a fun thread after a fun victory. For that, he should certainly suffer, and maybe the new thread title is appropriate for that ...

But the new thread title is not funny. It's unnecessary drama, and I guess there's nobody to blame but D'Pablo, since he refused to retract his statement. I can forgive him for being wrong about Andre Carter (because people are wrong about things all the time here), but if you can't laugh about being wrong after a big win, then maybe you deserve a little public humiliation...

Eh, whatever ... this thread is a buzzkill. Bring on the Packers! :packsuck:

Pretty much sums up how I feel. :packsuck:

For a board that requires a type of heavy moderation - The ES guys pull it off with humor and always let you apologize, as long as your transgression was no more than the internet equivilant of having one too many and going off on a curse filled tirade at the local bar.

Just say you are sorry and it was a dumb post and whatever, no one would even remember it anymore.

The title of a thread is the big, bright, shiny light you create to draw attention to your thoughts.

This thread starter got the attention that he hoped for and, ultimately, the response he deserved for the title he chose.

This should be a lesson to others. Perhaps it should be referred to in the future as D'Pablo's Law.

Archived