Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andre Carter is improved

D'Pablo

The original thread was absolutely a VERY poor observation of AC's play from D'Pablo, but what it's turned into is getting pretty ugly. Kind of like a public stoning. I can only hope that the Mods feel he's paid the price soon and close this thing, so it's not on the front pages. It was a great game and AC KICKED ASS, along with pretty much the rest of the team, lets not celebrate it by stuffing crow down a delusional poster throat.

The original thread was absolutely a VERY poor observation of AC's play from D'Pablo, but what it's turned into is getting pretty ugly. Kind of like a public stoning. I can only hope that the Mods feel he's paid the price soon and close this thing, so it's not on the front pages. It was a great game and AC KICKED ASS, along with pretty much the rest of the team, lets not celebrate it by stuffing crow down a delusional poster throat.

Good Call thanks for the reminder

Couple of interesting tidbits I found on the Extremeskins wikipedia entry that I feel are related to this thread:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremeskins

"Die Hard set out to build a message board that was a haven for Redskins fans to discuss their team's issues without rude responses."

"While some things did change with the merger, the sense of community, diversity of opinion and freedom of expression have not."

I don't agree with the original poster's assertion that AC sucks but I see no reason why we can't have a constructive debate about it. Thanks and good night, DC.

Couple of interesting tidbits I found on the Extremeskins wikipedia entry that I feel are related to this thread:

"Die Hard set out to build a message board that was a haven for Redskins fans to discuss their team's issues without rude responses."

"While some things did change with the merger, the sense of community, diversity of opinion and freedom of expression have not."

I don't agree with the original poster's assertion that AC sucks but I see no reason why we can't have a constructive debate about it. Thanks and good night, DC.

Because there's nothing to debate about. This isn't an issue with two sides. There's one side. The other has a guy who has decided since he has no point to be angry with others. When Die Hard created this board it was created with the specific intent to destroy idiots who make statements like the thread starter made. We're still on mission.

Monk,

I love your posts and even agree with a large portion of what you say here. But, here's the rub. People here have grown far too comfortable expressing the greatest idiocy in the world, then when called on it, acting offended for whatever reason they come up with. In the past months we might actually close a thread like this, but, I hope, today, this thread NEVER closes. I hope this thread is an example for people who don't get it that there's fan behavior and statements and there's THIS.

And when you go toward this, you will be made to feel uncomfortable by the blessed swarm and indeed, the swarm is STILL blessed. If what's happened in this thread makes even ONE SINGLE person stop and think before making a breathless, foolish post, then it will never close.

Kick that ass ART!

Hail Yeah!!

Thanks, Jay.

And, let me help further.

Any of you who didn't like the post Jay liked, you should leave. Go post elsewhere. Don't stay. We don't want you. We don't need you. We don't like you. Monk. I'm not talking to you, but, there are people in this thread I am talking to :).

Seriously. If you don't understand the point, don't stay.

Whether Carter sucks or not is irrelevant. The person who made this post made it at a time to make him appear to be a troll who was here to rub in a bad loss. It's not hard. He should be scared to death to post, much less make a new one, ever again for what he's done.

Whether his opinion is valid or not is irrelevant. It's HOW and WHEN he did what he did that's relevant. That he doesn't get that is why he should keep getting the business. So, I pray the swarm follows his butt around until he gets it.

D'Pablo made a dumb post and he will surely suffer the consquences. I don't think he'll ever live it down, it's a username that is easy to remember. All people will ever think about when they read his posts will be this thread. Ah, sweet accountability.

So... we have a problem with a player who has been our only consistent pass rush threat, has managed a sack a game, and has been part of a dominant rushing defense, all because hes SO undersized that with one arm the threw aside an offensive tackle that outweighed him by 30 lbs and sacked the QB for a safety?

Im with you bub.

Because there's nothing to debate about. This isn't an issue with two sides. There's one side. The other has a guy who has decided since he has no point to be angry with others. When Die Hard created this board it was created with the specific intent to destroy idiots who make statements like the thread starter made. We're still on mission.
But, here's the rub. People here have grown far too comfortable expressing the greatest idiocy in the world, then when called on it, acting offended for whatever reason they come up with. In the past months we might actually close a thread like this, but, I hope, today, this thread NEVER closes. I hope this thread is an example for people who don't get it that there's fan behavior and statements and there's THIS.

And when you go toward this, you will be made to feel uncomfortable by the blessed swarm and indeed, the swarm is STILL blessed. If what's happened in this thread makes even ONE SINGLE person stop and think before making a breathless, foolish post, then it will never close.

Any of you who didn't like the post Jay liked, you should leave. Go post elsewhere. Don't stay. We don't want you. We don't need you. We don't like you. Monk. I'm not talking to you, but, there are people in this thread I am talking to :).

Seriously. If you don't understand the point, don't stay.

Whether Carter sucks or not is irrelevant. The person who made this post made it at a time to make him appear to be a troll who was here to rub in a bad loss. It's not hard. He should be scared to death to post, much less make a new one, ever again for what he's done.

Whether his opinion is valid or not is irrelevant. It's HOW and WHEN he did what he did that's relevant. That he doesn't get that is why he should keep getting the business. So, I pray the swarm follows his butt around until he gets it.

Ok, I had to come back and see what else had happened with this thread and I had no intention of bumping it just to pile on (that seems to be well covered) but looking at these I'd like a bit of clarification, a judgement call as it were.

Is this just Art being his usual warm n fuzzy self that we know and love, or is this an expression of a change in policy or stance, ie. are we going to see a more overt effort to hold people accountable for blatant stupidity? As stated, in the past a thread of this nature probably would have been closed after some entertaining swarmage and if anything just alluded to elsewhere. Can we look forward to more of the swarm being allowed to run amok (in appropriate circumstances of course)?

Just so there's no misunderstanding of my position, I think there is a clear and definite difference between being stern critiques based on facts and hysterical ravings and making that distinction in order to hold some of the rabid accountable is completely justified. It benefits us in that the critical can make their case without being dismissed as "negative nancys" if some of the more biased pessimism gets eliminated or marginalized .

Kinda like those little white dogs in the Bud Light commercial, huh? LMAOOOOOO!!!!

It benefits us in that the critical can make their case without being dismissed as "negative nancys" if some of the more biased pessimism gets eliminated or marginalized .

To a point.

There's always something to be critical about for your team (See Belicheat's remarks about the Pats beating Cleveland...)

But, there's an underlying dynamic going on right now. And there are a few scenarios:

1) These are fans desperate for attention...any kind of attention...and they KNOW they'll get it on an official team's board when they're critical of that team;

2) They ignore the win-loss record...and post negatively with a token accolade when the Skins win;

3) They just might be sock puppets from an opposing fan base;

4) They're into swimming against the stream.

So, from what I've observed, if a poster usually supports his team, hopes it will win, expresses those sentiments in their posts on a regular basis...well, then, they're entitled to take a shot at the team when it's reasonable.

But, the constant harping on negatives in posts, deriding the coaches...and in particular the HOF coach who gave us great glory, and making trivial positive posts at a time when casual and die hard fans are ecstatic about a recent win and winning record...well, frankly, why do we need these guys around here?

They'd do well on opponent's boards and would have all kinds of new friends...

;)

The point is that people go from one extreme to another about this team in a matter of minutes.

Case in point:

And then you are so excited that you post a thread about how GREAT it will be on the board this week?

I realize we all wonder about the games and get excited on the game thread........but according to your first post, this is how you felt all week.

THAT is flip flop.

You quote with no context. The first one was after the botched direct snap.

They've given us every reason to expect mistakes and shoddy play, so I felt unexcited all week leading up to the game. Yet I was glued to the TV from the start of the game. And the playcalling comment was directed specifically at the last three plays of the half. I still stand by it. Horrible play calling when we should have tried to atleast get into FG position. A score at the end of the half would have been huge.

These mistakes, and, IMO, bad play calling at key momemts is still a big problem for the team. We can clearly see the potential, and I think they are on the right path. But that shouldn't stop me from acknowledging the bad or enjoying the good. It is an emotional up and down sport, and posts are going to reflect this for the most part.

There is no flip flop here. If I had been claiming gloom and doom all week and been forcasting a wasted season, and then claimed we were on a SB run after the win, I'd be flip flopping. Being drained by the dumb, untimely mistakes and sometimes questionable play calling, and then excited at the win is anything but flip flopping.

To a point.

There's always something to be critical about for your team (See Belicheat's remarks about the Pats beating Cleveland...)

But, there's an underlying dynamic going on right now. And there are a few scenarios:

1) These are fans desperate for attention...any kind of attention...and they KNOW they'll get it on an official team's board when they're critical of that team;

2) They ignore the win-loss record...and post negatively with a token accolade when the Skins win;

3) They just might be sock puppets from an opposing fan base;

4) They're into swimming against the stream.

So, from what I've observed, if a poster usually supports his team, hopes it will win, expresses those sentiments in their posts on a regular basis...well, then, they're entitled to take a shot at the team when it's reasonable.

But, the constant harping on negatives in posts, deriding the coaches...and in particular the HOF coach who gave us great glory, and making trivial positive posts at a time when casual and die hard fans are ecstatic about a recent win and winning record...well, frankly, why do we need these guys around here?

They'd do well on opponent's boards and would have all kinds of new friends...

;)

And I completely agree, that's why I tried to make a point about distinguishing between honest criticism and mean-spirited schadenfreude after a loss. I honestly do believe that a lot of it has more to do with attention whoring than anything else and warrants some response. I was just wondering if we are going to see more outright scorn allowed for those that seem to beg for it.

This thread is so stupid.

Why would a mod change the title. It just seems unprofessional. And then to expect that the guy apologize to Andre Carter. What kind of tacky crap is that. I mean, isn't it enough for everyone that the Skins won and in impressive fashion?

I don't remember Brunnell supporters getting this type of treatment.

People have views, this is the supposedly the place to state them.

If some RB breaks off one or two big runs against Carter, are any mods going to start a thread titled: Mod_Name Sucks?

Why would a mod change the title. It just seems unprofessional. And then to expect that the guy apologize to Andre Carter. What kind of tacky crap is that. I mean, isn't it enough for everyone that the Skins won and in impressive fashion?

If some RB breaks off one or two big runs against Carter, are any mods going to start a thread titled: Mod_Name Sucks?

So having a thread with the title "Board member sucks" is bad, but you don't have any problem with the thread "Redskin Player sucks"?

It's more about admitting when you are wrong (especially since the thread didn't happen until after we lost a game, a game where Carter had a couple sacks and a forced fumble) and the OP refuses to do so. Also, throw in the OP's argument consists of only assumptions, and lacks actual analysis, or any fact-based reasoning.

It seems we're entering a new error of censor the content. Something that has been preached against for years. It's a good thing that the Swarm comes down on posters making stupid assertions. It helps keep the board clean. But a mod forcing a retraction or apology is forcing content. It started in good humor. The original poster has no sense of humor. It probably should have been shut down at that point, but that's a mods call.

So having a thread with the title "Board member sucks" is bad, but you don't have any problem with the thread "Redskin Player sucks"?

It's more about admitting when you are wrong (especially since the thread didn't happen until after we lost a game, a game where Carter had a couple sacks and a forced fumble) and the OP refuses to do so. Also, throw in the OP's argument consists of only assumptions, and lacks actual analysis, or any fact-based reasoning.

Um. This is a Redskins forum.

The fact of the matter is, the guy was wrong. So what? Threads get bumped, people point out he was wrong, he loses credibility.

Changing the title seems unprofessional and demanding an apology on behalf of AC just seems outlandish.

Why would a mod change the title. It just seems unprofessional. And then to expect that the guy apologize to Andre Carter. What kind of tacky crap is that. I mean, isn't it enough for everyone that the Skins won and in impressive fashion? etc., etc., blah blah blah.....

You really didn't even read what Art said right before this did you? Seriously, you can tell us, you just skimmed through some of it then started hackin' away at the keyboard, right?

You know, originally I found myself feeling a little sorry for the guy, "Ouch, did they really call this guy out like that" but you know what, had Andre got off to a rough start or if we were playing poorly right now, more than likely, we'd see this thread bumped by the original poster, anyway.

There's a group of fans out there who only show up when something bad happens (I can think of a few off the top of my head that were here at the end of last season, but for some strange reason, they are missing in action, :)

These types exist everywhere; not just on message boards. They are at the workplace, they are at the local grocery stores sharing their thoughts about the team after a big loss. They're that relative that's the first one calling you up to tell you how they were right all along. "see, I told you they would lose, the game's passed by Joe Gibbs etc" I'm sure everyone has a guy like this in his family -- the "real life" trolls :)

So really, I'm glad these types are being held accountable for their words. We hold others accountable when they make an optimistic prediction, why can't we do the same to these hyper-critical types?

Terps and Steve, let me help you on a couple things.

We're fans who moderate a message board. As far as I know, there are no professional gigs for this. Mods at every board for every topic seek to create an environment. Prior to the team taking us over, we routinely changed thread titles, handed out funny avatars and made people who we did not feel placed well in our community -- the one WE tried to create -- feel out of place until they left or changed.

Since the team took over, we've taken a higher level view that no fan should be denied the opportunity to experience even a LITTLE bit of the additional access we may have, so, we've actually allowed more goofy garbage than ever before. We actually still will.

But, we may also assure those who've decided to rub the noses of fans here in THEIR stink when we're having a bad week at least feel the sting of their actions when we have a good one. You're just going to have to understand that and come to embrace it, cause, THAT ain't gonna change.

Archived