Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Glover is scary. Ya he can't beat Bones, but no one else can so I won't hold that against him. 

makes what Phil Davis did more impressive

I'm not quite sold yet, on Glover being a Top Contender.

Of his last 3 wins, none of his opponents were in the Top 5. He's just been beating guys who are either on the brink of retirement, or middle-of-the-pack level, or even below that. And his last fight with Davis that he lost – that fight could be more of a reflection on Glover's weakness in his game, and an indication he may not be one of the “elite and complete” at LHW, rather than the fight being a reflection of Davis doing something amazing.

The next matchup for Glover, that makes the most “fight-sense”, would be against Gus. Glover still has something to prove. Gus has something to prove, too. Rumble, on the other hand, has nothing to prove. He's already earned a title shot as his next fight. So let Gus and Glover duke it out, to claim the #4 spot overall in LHW.......Although I do realize, in all reality, Dana & Co, are probably going to end up booking Glover vs Rumble.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

I think it was a teammate

Teammate's opponent that got killed.

There's a lot of talk that it isn't just a trolling job. Thinking it might be some kind of dispute over money or he's torn his ACL again but God only knows.

Edited by Morrison J

McGregor's teammate (and close friend) Charlie Ward is the one who killed Joao Carvalho last week.  

According to my buddy who knows Ward pretty well-- he was insanely close to signing a contract with the UFC, and the death of his opponent really messed him up.  Ward was leaning towards retirement shortly after the fight and that's why it wouldn't surprise me if this McGregor thing actually has legs.

Whatever. The McGregor saga took a super weird turn and then a firey nosedive with him fighting at WW then abandoning his belt and getting a main event rematch at 200. What in the blue hell was that? This guy was on his way to being the new Chuck, Brock, GSP or Ronda. ****, he was already there. But as quick as he reached that level is as quick as he and the UFC got ridiculous.

The UFC barely let any champ ever test the waters of a weightclass above them, even when they completely clean out their own divisions almost two times over, but you let a completely new international superstar fight a zombie with a gorilla chin and finishing skills to the moon TWO weightclasses above him right after Conor KO'd the P4P #1 guy who hasn't been beaten since Jesus was alive? And on top of that, Frankie Edgar was primed and ready for a shot.

It seems as though Connor is delusional and demanding, and the UFC accomidated him up to this point for fear of this very thing happening. Now it's reached the boiling point.

That being said, it could be that he was seriously put off by the death he witnessed a week or two ago.

Wonder if Nate stays on the card and fights GSP or Lawler. I'm still wanting to see Lawler vs. GSP the most, and was really interested to see if they made it the co-main behind Diaz and McGregor. I reckon they would. A lot because of McGregor's (and Diaz's) popularity, but there definitely would be a dynamic of "we don't want to offend Mr. McGregor by putting him below the current well-established champ of that same division against an all time legend making his comeback."

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I've just had contact with an immediate family member of

, and it would appear the retirement tweet is to be taken at face value

— Jonathan Shrager (@JonathanShrager)

Update 1/2: Conor confirmed to my source (see earlier tweet) a couple of hours ago that he's retired

Update 2/2: Conor informed my source that the promo tour was unrealistic; not just the presser, it was more like a mini world tour

reeks of contract disputes

Conor might be the first UFC star to really know and hold out for what he is worth. the UFC doesn't want stars that buck their system.

Agree with this.  The tweet especially makes me think it is about money, not about his teammate/people dying in the ring.  "Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya's later."?  It's just Conor showing that he has the ability to create a ****storm on demand, this isn't the product of a rational soul-searching about mortality.  

Made no sense he did when facing Aldo

Ya know what? I feel like this Diaz fight made no sense. There's just no reason for it. Conor didn't want to go back to 145 so he begged for a rematch with a guy who took every shot he had and then slapped him around and choked him out. 

I think Conor McGregor is exhausted and probably has every right to be. He played the game masterfully for Dana and for the fans until the moment he realized he couldn't finish Nate. I think since then he just wants to relax. Hell of a run. I hope he takes some time off like Ronda Rousey. He's great for this sport.