Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Matchups aren't supposed to make sense ; Why does Dillashaw lose his belt in a razor-thin decision, and not get a rematch, while Chris Weidman gets beaten to a pulp, but he does get a re-match ?

So true, Mal.

I'm going so far though, as to say this McGregor stuff makes total sense... if you're Dana White or Conor McGregor. Fight all over the dial except where you can lose your belt. Dat's wha's happnin. He'll fight RDA after Diaz and maybe Michael Bisping after that.  

Edgar may as well ink a non-title rematch with Aldo.  :mellow:

I'm sorta kidding about all this and sorta not.

• Like 1

I honestly have no idea what they are doing anymore? Hiding Conor like this from Frankie is sad.

I mean, I get it if he wanted to move up for one challenge, go for another belt, what have you. But Nate never even getting rattled from those clean shots, then mopping him up, only to have a rematch at UFC 200??? Come on, man. All about money. Now Nate is kinda fringe fan famous and they think it'll sell the most to give Conor a rematch at 200. Perhaps they're right, but ugh. From a fan's standpoint, Conor has gone off the rails. They've gone off the deep end with him and no matter what - he's going to get torn up by somebody at 170. Probably Nate.

Now, if they drop him to 155 or he gets the winner of Edgar/Aldo, they may be able to save face. But if Conor gets his ass beat again, he might not be the same fighter he was, and some of the aura will be lost.

How good of a fight would Frankie/Conor be? Friggin' awesome. It's simply that Frankie is a relative unknown among legends of the sport. All about that marketability, unfortunately.

I think Conor will do better in the rematch, but I am still picking Nate to win. Contrary to what Conor wants to say, it's not conserving his energy/punches that lost him the fight. He connected on Nate plenty, and some really good shots that would put a 155lber to sleep, but they just couldn't phase Nate. He kept coming and kept the pressure on and there's nothing that leads me to believe the same thing won't happen in the rematch, although it might take longer because Conor is pacing himself a bit more.  

Not sure why Aldo vs. Frankie is for an interim title?!  If the assumption is that McGregor is moving back down to face the winner of that fight (I know, not safe to assume), then why not just make it a #1 contender match?

Edited by NoCalMike

What are the odds Jones doesn't make it to UFC 200, and this HUGE even for the company will only consist of one interim title match? Why not have like 3 belts on the line for such a big show?

Wait, did I miss something, or is this a typo ?

Jones is booked for 197, not 200, right ? Or was that statement based on an assumption he beats Cormier in April and gets booked again in July ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Wait, did I miss something, or is this a typo ?

Jones is booked for 197, not 200, right ? Or was that statement based on an assumption he beats Cormier in April and gets booked again in July ?

Ahh. Typo, my apologies. Got the events mixed up.

Still, the question remains. UFC 200 getting a lot of hype, but only 1 interim title on the line?

Jones had his hearing this morning, and just simply had more restrictions added to his probation.

So it looks like the Cormier fight will remain "on".

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/3/31/11337684/jon-jones-must-attend-courses-get-approval-to-drive-after-probation

Jones agreed to attend anger management and driver improvement courses as well as do 60 more hours of community service within three months.

Judge Michael E. Martinez added that Jones must get approval from his probation officer every time he wants to drive. Martinez told Jones at the conclusion of the hearing that if he is back in that court before the end of his probation, "it won't go well" for him.

So apparently the main event of UFC 200 IS Diaz vs. McGregor. Here's the card so far:

Welterweight Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor

Featherweight José Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar [a]

Heavyweight Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne

Welterweight Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum

Middleweight Gegard Mousasi vs. Derek Brunson

Lightweight Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Lauzon

Lightweight Takanori Gomi vs. Jim Miller

Lightweight Sage Northcutt vs. Enrique Marín

• Like 1

No main event yet. Thinking Lawler vs. St. Pierre.

So apparently the main event of UFC 200 IS Diaz vs. McGregor. Here's the card so far:

What I've been reading is that it's the Co-Main, that has yet to be determined or announced.

I've heard this from multiple sources, and here is just one source, which was just posted yesterday :

Chamatkar Sandhu ‎@SandhuMMA

The UFC have confirmed that Aldo vs Edgar is not the co-main event so I would expect another big title fight to be announced soon.

Perhaps the Lawler-GSP you mentioned, is what ends up being Co-Main

Jones ground and pound tko first round. OSP got out wrestled by Mousasi.

I can imagine that outcome. If or when OSP gets taken down, it's only a matter of seconds before Jones injects his venom.

This type of fight (and opponent's skill level) is a perfect chance for Jones to work out the "rust" before facing Cormier.