Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

yeah but he didn't have to cut as much weight. I'm no doctor but I'm assuming being properly hydrated helps in taking a punch.

Conor looked like the bigger fighter. I've said it since the Mendes fight. Conor is vastly overrated. I knew this was coming at some point. Had Chad Mendes had an full camp he would've won. I think he experiences an Rashad Evans-like drop now. Won't be the same fighter.

He is. They both moved up.

Exactly. I don't understand the need for excuses? He got served by an more well-rounded fighter. It happens.

His power didn't translate at 170. At least not against Diaz. He would have finished most 145ers with the shots he was giving Diaz in the 1st round and a half. .

Diaz is a tough SOB, that's for sure. Not sure if the rest of 170 would be able to handle that punishment. We may never know after this.

Moving up inevitably impacted Conor's training, but due credit should be given to Nate's all-around skill set.

Diaz is a tough SOB, that's for sure. Not sure if the rest of 170 would be able to handle that punishment. We may never know after this.

Moving up inevitably impacted Conor's training, but due credit should be given to Nate's all-around skill set.

Yeah, I doubt he will ever go back to 170 again. He may end up at 155 though. That cut to 145 is brutal.

Gotta give Connor credit for handling the loss like a pro in the post fight interview. You won't see him going back to Ireland with a pillow over his face.

Gotta give Connor credit for handling the loss like a pro in the post fight interview. You won't see him going back to Ireland with a pillow over his face.

Very true.

As an Irish man this is fairly gutting. A day we were all dreading. I get the hate for him on here because he runs his mouth and that's fair enough. He's a hero over here though. Hope he comes back strong and I think he will but it's got to be really tough mentally for him.

Very true.

As an Irish man this is fairly gutting. A day we were all dreading. I get the hate for him on here because he runs his mouth and that's fair enough. He's a hero over here though. Hope he comes back strong and I think he will but it's got to be really tough mentally for him.

His talk has never really bothered me. I've found it entertaining. Much better than say the brain damaged, expletive laced, mumblings of the Diaz brothers.

I think you saw in this post fight interview, and really all of his post fight interviews, that his talk is part of the show to sell the fight. And whatever people may think about his fighting ability, no one can deny his promotion ability. The dude gets it. He knows this is not a long term career and he needs to make as much money as possible as quickly as possible. 

• Like 1

Very true.

I'm sorry J. I wanted him to lose but it sucks that you guys had to go through this.

• Like 1

I still like Connor and he will be find moving forward, however why so many people were sleeping on Nate's chances in this fight I'll never know.

When you look at the strengths/weaknesses/matchups of each guy, what exactly did Connor have in his skill set that was superior to Nate besides 1-punch KO power?  He isn't a better boxer/striker and he certainly can't touch Diaz on the ground.  Both Diaz bro's have great chins, they don't really get KO'd.  Diaz looked like a guy who took the fight on very short notice and had to feel things out in the first round, but once he had his timing and plan, he took it to Connor and dusted him.

• Like 1

Catch up

Very true.

as a vegan, I'm pretty happy about it.

I still like Connor and he will be find moving forward, however why so many people were sleeping on Nate's chances in this fight I'll never know.

When you look at the strengths/weaknesses/matchups of each guy, what exactly did Connor have in his skill set that was superior to Nate besides 1-punch KO power?  He isn't a better boxer/striker and he certainly can't touch Diaz on the ground.  Both Diaz bro's have great chins, they don't really get KO'd.  Diaz looked like a guy who took the fight on very short notice and had to feel things out in the first round, but once he had his timing and plan, he took it to Connor and dusted him.

I'm a Diaz Bros. fan and I always rep them but if this fight were at 155 I think Conor would have dusted Nate. Having said that, I was jumping up and down from the moment Diaz landed the shot that led to the ultimate end.  :)

I'm a Diaz Bros. fan and I always rep them but if this fight were at 155 I think Conor would have dusted Nate. Having said that, I was jumping up and down from the moment Diaz landed the shot that led to the ultimate end. :)

Same boat. When Nate staggered him I felt the end was nigh. I love how the Diaz bros still land 10-50 more clean shots after they have someone hurt before finishing them. It's such a beautiful thing to watch. Conor was hurt for a while before shooting, then Nate abandoned the guillotine and flipped him over so instinctually, landed a couple BOMBS, and goodnight Sally Joe.

That was awesome.

I still think Conor's power is too much for most people lower than him. I'd like to see him fight Dos Anjos. Same **** could happen, or Conor's power actually has an effect and Dos Anjos gets blasted. Some of those shots Nate ate were brain ringers. I mean think about what it takes to hurt the guy. The kick Josh Thompson landed came from the depths of hell. He loaded up on it so much that veins were popping out of his neck as he threw it. It landed as flush as possible, and Nate was still merely wobbled by it. Still took some a serious follow-up attack to get the ref to jump in.

Props to Nate's chin, it's epic.

• Like 1

That's the thing about MMA. Just about anybody can lose to just about anybody else. The skill level between fighters isn't all that much different in a sport like MMA.

Is it a coincidence that he's the second UFC fighter that has publicly called out Mayweather and then lost?

That's the thing about MMA. Just about anybody can lose to just about anybody else. The skill level between fighters isn't all that much different in a sport like MMA.

Is it a coincidence that he's the second UFC fighter that has publicly called out Mayweather and then lost?

Yeah they should probably worry about their own sport. You look so stupid challenging boxers who only fight with their hands.

Mayweather would get destroyed in the octagon. With that said, he's still the greatest boxer on the planet.

Er, no. If someone's entire fight plan wants to get trade punches with a Diaz brother (and then go to ground without a ground game!), it's not MMA that's at fault here, that's **** tactics and strategy.

And prime Fedor, GSP, and Anderson Silva were on a different level and every one of their opponents knew it.

When you look at the strengths/weaknesses/matchups of each guy, what exactly did Connor have in his skill set that was superior to Nate besides 1-punch KO power? He isn't a better boxer/striker and he certainly can't touch Diaz on the ground.

im no expert but it sure seemed to me that mcgregor was the more skilled striker. He lit up Diaz's face for the first round and a half and took very little punishment in return. Certainly he has a better ground game but seems to me that Diaz won because he was tougher, kept coming despite getting his face turned into a pizza, finally landed one solid shot that rocked mcgregor and then finished him.

Er, no. If someone's entire fight plan wants to get trade punches with a Diaz brother (and then go to ground without a ground game!), it's not MMA that's at fault here, that's **** tactics and strategy.

And prime Fedor, GSP, and Anderson Silva were on a different level and every one of their opponents knew it.

Yeah, but they all had early losses too. It's very hard to go 20 fights without a loss in that type of fighting.

im no expert but it sure seemed to me that mcgregor was the more skilled striker. He lit up Diaz's face for the first round and a half and took very little punishment in return. Certainly he has a better ground game but seems to me that Diaz won because he was tougher, kept coming despite getting his face turned into a pizza, finally landed one solid shot that rocked mcgregor and then finished him.

Connor was loading up his punches though. It was just about throwing KO punches because he seemed so concerned about holding true to his Round 1 KO prediction.  Once Nate didn't fall from the haymakers Connor was pretty much a dead man walking and he even admitted so in the post-fight presser.   Nate on the other hand said straight up that he had to start the fight slow and not throw a lot until his body got warmed up and felt better due to the lack of sparring and training camp, he didn't want to go out in the first round and just throw down.  He also said he felt Connor was able to touch him up with punches because once again the lack of sparring and prepping.

Now is some of that Nate just being Nate Diaz? Sure, but there is validity to what he is saying.  McGreggor is not a better striker or boxer than Nate.  The one thing he has over Nate on the feet is the 1 punch KO power, but at 170 it isn't the same and that was his own damn fault for not realizing the basic understanding that your power isn't going to translate when moving up multiple weight divisions. 

Edited by NoCalMike

I think Connor's loss mirrors Rousey's in the aspect that both were on a roll and probably had a lot of physical gifts that let them get away with subpar coaches/trainers until it actually mattered and once the fight they were in flipped on them they looked helpless and there was nothing they could do about what was coming their way.

Connor's opponents were way better. Aldo might be the most skilled fighter in mma and regardless of his game plan, Connor koed him in 13 seconds. Ronda beat 1 trick ponys and women who trained mma for like 2 years.

I wouldn't say Meisha Tate is/was a 1 trick pony? Rousey dusted her twice with relative ease. Sarah Kauffman? Cat Zingano? 

Also, Conor's fight with Aldo, it was a great KO but it is always hard to take away a whole lot from flash KO wins/losses like that.  It was the perfect shot and all the credit to Conor but Aldo also took that fight after not really being able to train like you should for a fight.  Same with Chad Mendes.  Mendes on what 2 weeks notice, was able to show flaws in Conor's overall game, and if not for gassing out he might have been able to rag doll Conor even more.  We'll never know, but other than those 2 fighters is Conor's list of opponents really that impressive?

Edited by NoCalMike