Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

13 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I don't think I've seen an actual written policy, but it was always communicated at jobs I previously worked at.  But honestly, I've never cared to discuss that with other co-workers so I wouldn't have even checked.  

But I did find this:  https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/articles/2016-02-01/5-workplace-laws-your-employer-might-be-violating

Says that a lot of companies do that even though they are in violation lol

a lot of companies do a lot of things that are against the law and could cost them lots of $$$

It's why I have a job 😛

https://www.facebook.com/9to5life/videos/340660886348234/ 

39 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

gender salary discrepancy (in my humble opinion and experience) is NOT an intentional act. Women do NOT negotiate salary offers.....they take the pay offered to them and accept the position. Every.single.time.

Probably true. Anecdotally, men I've worked with aren't much better. People in sales usually are, but the engineers are numbnuts about compensation negotiations. 

I don't think pay inequity is a conscious thing. I do think employers need to actively check against subconscious low-ball offers to female candidates. Also, I wonder--do female HR/compensation personnel offer more or less for female candidates?

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What a buzzkill this thread is turning into, talking about employment on a Friday night.

Granted I'm home doing diddly squat too but at least I ain't thinkin about office politics.  You guys @ me when you loosen up some and bring this thread back to glory.

Hey dick, clear your schedule next weekend and lets get all the beers. 

11 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Probably true. Anecdotally, men I've worked with aren't much better. People in sales usually are, but the engineers are numbnuts about compensation negotiations. 

I don't think pay inequity is a conscious thing. I do think employers need to actively check against subconscious low-ball offers to female candidates. Also, I wonder--do female HR/compensation personnel offer more or less for female candidates?

In most instances there is a budget with a range. Most depends on candidates' "ask". 

Archived