Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

1 minute ago, Elessar78 said:

Chew,

El Chapo is headed for you. Not that I want anyone to get hurt, but it'd be Hollywood **** for the Cartel(s) to try and break El Chapo out of Supermax. 

If say it's more likely that he manipulates people inside of the prison and is smuggled out.

But I'd expect him to be put in solitary

18 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Chew,

El Chapo is headed for you. Not that I want anyone to get hurt, but it'd be Hollywood **** for the Cartel(s) to try and break El Chapo out of Supermax. 

We drove right past that joint on the way to Canon City a few years ago. Scary looking LOL.  Some very bad people in there

Low key bro....it's out in the middle of ****ing nowhere.  Not sure how heavily armed the staff are there, but a well-armed group of 50 or so bad guys and a few compromised employees (compromised as in "we'll cut your daughter's head off if you don't cooperate"), and a chopper....ya never know.  

It made local news out here last year that union officials said guards at the Supermax were in danger because the prison was understaffed.  I wonder if El Chapo moving in will have any impact on security measures.  Lots of bad guys living out their days there, but nobody like Chap. 

15 minutes ago, Chew said:

We drove right past that joint on the way to Canon City a few years ago. Scary looking LOL.  Some very bad people in there

Low key bro....it's out in the middle of ****ing nowhere.  Not sure how heavily armed the staff are there, but a well-armed group of 50 or so bad guys and a few compromised employees (compromised as in "we'll cut your daughter's head off if you don't cooperate"), and a chopper....ya never know.  

It made local news out here last year that union officials said guards at the Supermax were in danger because the prison was understaffed.  I wonder if El Chapo moving in will have any impact on security measures.  Lots of bad guys living out their days there, but nobody like Chap. 

****. I just looked at the list of inmates. Al Qaeda/ISIS and the cartels could team up and get a bunch of their guys out. 

Also Peterson air base is right there, they could scramble jets to catch any chopper. Unless, the chopper was a diversion and El Chapo was getting away in an uber or the world's longest tunnel to Mexico.

1 hour ago, Chew said:

Let me start by saying that I need this in my life.

That said, man...I just can't imagine Breaking Bad

Reveal hidden contents

without Walt.  

I never got into the prequel spinoffs, even though I've heard good things.  

52 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I have no idea what this is about yet, but on principle, I don't like it. Despite demand, some things are best left the perfect way they ended

I feel this, but if anyone can pull it off, it's Vince Gilligan.  Better Call Saul is great. 

Not sure how good he'll be at condensing this down to a movie but we'll see.  I'll give it a shot if it comes out.

7 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Edit:  This might come across sounding like I'm a dick, but in all honesty, it's both you and your co-workers fault discussing pay.  Nothing good usually comes out of this. 

I disagree.  Nothing good comes of it for the company.  For the employees, it gives them a good idea of their value to help them negotiate in the future (if not for their current employer, prospective future employers).

43 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I disagree.  Nothing good comes of it for the company.  For the employees, it gives them a good idea of their value to help them negotiate in the future (if not for their current employer, prospective future employers).

Nothing good usually comes from discussing your pay with co-workers.  It can lead to jealousy, resentment (sometimes), bad morale, lower productivity, stress, etc.  Everyone should know their pay/salary range where they work, so they will know where they stand in terms of that and can evaluate their value, any employer should be able to tell them that if they don't already know.  

Hell, my parents taught me that when I was 15 and I remember my managers in retail part-time jobs (talking age 16) preaching that.  Your pay is none of anybody's business except your bosses and you and vice versa for your co-workers.  There is a reason why most companies have policies in place on not discussing your salary/pay with co-workers.  

I've been a manager in both retail and in a "corporate America desk job", two completely different jobs at opposite ends of the spectrum, not discussing pay was one of the only things they had in common.  

10 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Nothing good usually comes from discussing your pay with co-workers.  It can lead to jealousy, resentment (sometimes), bad morale, lower productivity, stress, etc.  Everyone should know their pay/salary range where they work, so they will know where they stand in terms of that and can evaluate their value, any employer should be able to tell them that if they don't already know.  

Hell, my parents taught me that when I was 15 and I remember my managers in retail part-time jobs (talking age 16) preaching that.  Your pay is none of anybody's business except your bosses and you and vice versa for your co-workers.  There is a reason why most companies have policies in place on not discussing your salary/pay with co-workers.  

I've been a manager in both retail and in a "corporate America desk job", two completely different jobs at opposite ends of the spectrum, not discussing pay was one of the only things they had in common.  

Of course managers are going to preach that nothing good comes of discussing salary.  There's little good that can come from it for the company while there are numerous downsides for them, thus it is bad for managers to have their employees discussing salary.  But I don't buy the argument that it's bad for everyone.  As an employee, especially early on in a career when figuring out your worth, it is immensely helpful to be able to discuss salaries amongst your peers to get an idea of what you are worth by comparing their salaries with their experience and expertise, and how that relates to your own value.  And if all of the people involved are mature and reasonable adults, then the possible personal downsides should be rather unlikely.

I've discussed salary with some of my current co-workers and teammates (I currently work on a team with people who have an employer different than my own), and there's no jealousy to be seen.  We confide in each other, commiserate our salaries, and encourage each other to get better paying jobs rather than being upset at how much someone else is making.  Of course none of this is good for our employers, but I definitely feel I've gotten positive value out of it.

15 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Of course managers are going to preach that nothing good comes of discussing salary.  There's little good that can come from it for the company while there are numerous downsides for them, thus it is bad for managers to have their employees discussing salary.  But I don't buy the argument that it's bad for everyone.  As an employee, especially early on in a career when figuring out your worth, it is immensely helpful to be able to discuss salaries amongst your peers to get an idea of what you are worth by comparing their salaries with their experience and expertise, and how that relates to your own value.  And if all of the people involved are mature and reasonable adults, then the possible personal downsides should be rather unlikely.

I've discussed salary with some of my current co-workers and teammates (I currently work on a team with people who have an employer different than my own), and there's no jealousy to be seen.  We confide in each other, commiserate our salaries, and encourage each other to get better paying jobs rather than being upset at how much someone else is making.  Of course none of this is good for our employers, but I definitely feel I've gotten positive value out of it.

Discussing pay with co-workers that are not employed by your company is one thing (though I still wouldn't do it most likely).  Discussing pay with co-workers that are employed by your company is another.  Again, minimal research at both your company and other companies should give you an idea what you can make there and elsewhere. 

For example, I know I can go to another company or area in my field and make more money and know what the job requirements are, travel, perks, etc.  I also know what I will be making (annual merit increases in wage - percentage wise) in my current role in my company and salary ranges if I were to get back into a management role again.

I don't need to tell co-worker A what I make per hour and know their salary to figure out my worth or get an idea of what else is out there.  Those conversations are best had between you and your supervisor or HR dept.  You put more faith in people/co-workers being mature and responsible adults than I do.  Too much backstabbing and ass kissing goes on behind the scenes (generally speaking) for me to even go down that rabbit hole.

Maybe it's different in the IT world, I don't know.  But in my years of experience in dealing with as a manager and also seeing it as an employee (not me, others discussing), it usually isn't a good thing and at times hasn't ended well.  But by all means bro, feel free to make a t-shirt that says "Who makes 200K per year" on the front with "This guy" on the back and wear it into the office on casual Friday.  You do you broski :cheers:

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I don't need to tell co-worker A what I make per hour and know their salary to figure out my worth or get an idea of what else is out there.  Those conversations are best had between you and your supervisor or HR dept.  You put more faith in people/co-workers being mature and responsible adults than I do.  Too much backstabbing and ass kissing goes on behind the scenes (generally speaking) for me to even go down that rabbit hole.

I don't put faith in them; I get to know them.  The more I get to know the people I work with, the more topics of conversation open up as I learn what topics are safe to discuss around them.  There's always a bit of a feeling out period.

Discussing with your manager?  Sure, depending on who your manager is.  My manager is pretty transparent about our salary and how it works.  I don't think he's supposed to be, but he's got our backs as much as he can.  Not too long ago, when the topic turned to our yearly raises, he made an off-hand comment along the lines of "I don't know how they expect to keep developers like you." I think a lot of people will be considering new employment opportunities when he retires.

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Maybe it's different in the IT world, I don't know.  But in my years of experience in dealing with as a manager and also seeing it as an employee (not me, others discussing), it usually isn't a good thing and at times hasn't ended well.  But by all means bro, feel free to make a t-shirt that says "Who makes 200K per year" on the front with "This guy" on the back and wear it into the office on casual Friday.  You do you broski :cheers:

It's quite possible that the tech world is very different.  It may have a lot more people who are more interested in programming and computers than learning how to be ruthless negotiators, and tend to be more deferential in "negotiation" (I put that in quotes because I don't think there's much mutual negotiation) so they get exploited by the HR/Management who negotiate for a living and want to pay as little as possible.  There's a reason the average time between job changes is 1-2 years.  If you wanna get paid, you gotta find a new employer.

As for the t-shirt, mine would say "Who's got two thumbs and is underpaid?"

1 minute ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Ever think it's to keep a salary tier among employees where especially taking into account of t the disparity in pay between the sexes. 

gender salary discrepancy (in my humble opinion and experience) is NOT an intentional act. Women do NOT negotiate salary offers.....they take the pay offered to them and accept the position. Every.single.time.

16 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

A written policy? Yea......that's not allowed. Interesting....

I don't think I've seen an actual written policy, but it was always communicated at jobs I previously worked at.  But honestly, I've never cared to discuss that with other co-workers so I wouldn't have even checked.  

But I did find this:  https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/articles/2016-02-01/5-workplace-laws-your-employer-might-be-violating

Says that a lot of companies do that even though they are in violation lol

Archived