Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

THR: 'Seinfeld' Finale at 20: Hidden Tales From the Vault of a Comedian's Bizarro World

Sticksboi05

Seinfeld, a show about nothing, remains today as something that people can return to time and time again. Some come for the humor and writing, simple observations about the funny in everyday life. Others love the main characters, selfish and self-involved though they may be. Whatever the reason, audiences continue to discover and enjoy the masterful sitcom, one unlike any before it and the comedic godfather of many since.

From one simple conversation that started between two comedic geniuses at the Catch a Rising Star comedy club in New York and ended inside Lee's Market, a Korean deli across the street, Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David formulated the gold standard for television humor.

Seinfeld and David devised a simple formula: small stories based on insignificant problems that spiraled into bigger consequences. Along the way, they followed what they found funny. The leading characters didn't go on emotional journeys. They selfishly kowtowed to their own neurotic tendencies, helplessly failing to become the masters of their domain as they envisioned.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/seinfeld-finale-at-20-hidden-tales-vault-a-comedians-bizarro-world-1111377

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

George is one of the best characters in TV history. This show simply does not work without him and Jason Alexander's performance. 

I think George is the best sit-com character ever.

Something that blows me away: Frank Costanza doesn't show up until the very end of Season 4. It feels like we knew George's parents the whole time, but they were pretty late arrivals.

One thing that's telling. The average age of Seinfeld streamers on Hulu is 27...that is incredible for a sitcom to continue to resonate with people who were in elementary school when it was on originally.

Also, when I first moved to New York, I was so happy to remember that at 1st and 3rd I was only two blocks away from the Nexus of the Universe.

Re: the Frank conversation - when he goes what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for, just amazing. You can tell Estelle was trying not to laugh.

My favorite one timer was definitely the Library Cop.

Holy crap that kllled me.

AND, i noticed that one of the funniest scenes ever (IMO) in which Kramer is helping Frank try on the Bro while the cha-cha music is playing and Estelle comes in...  I watched it on TBS on Demand, and they cut it so you can't see the Bro and can't tell they are dancing..  killed the whole scene!

~Bang

Many favorites.  When Kramer lost it, who refuses to wear the pin, I won't run again, the contest, the puffy shirt, the hot dog at the movie theater, the jerk store called and they're running out of you, George as opposite guy, Elaine at the Yankees gamer wearing an Orioles cap, George eating out of the trash can, I'm sponge worthy, Newman, Poppy got sloppy, George telling Steinbrenner off......

Even though I was never a fan like most (watched it but it wasn't the end all be all to me)...I can still recall many of my favorite gags.

Dolores.

They're real and they're spectacular.

No soup for you.

That lasting humor is what sets it apart from many successful comedies. 

Rewatching a lot of the early episodes, i also think its worth noting that Seinfeld was one of the few shows that got better and better over time.  I actually think most of seasons 1-3 were meh.  It wasnt until the network had more confidence in Larry David that the episodes got better and better probably around season 4.  By the end, they were basically letting Larry and Jerry do whatever in the hell they wanted, and thats when it just became incredible.

Compare that to Cosby, Cheers, Mash, etc.... all got worse over time imo

3 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

Many favorites.  When Kramer lost it, who refuses to wear the pin, I won't run again, the contest, the puffy shirt, the hot dog at the movie theater, the jerk store called and they're running out of you, George as opposite guy, Elaine at the Yankees gamer wearing an Orioles cap, George eating out of the trash can, I'm sponge worthy, Newman, Poppy got sloppy, George telling Steinbrenner off......

Dont forget Kenny Rogers chicken, muffin tops, and the Merv Griffin show!

23 hours ago, Bang said:

My favorite one timer was definitely the Library Cop.

Holy crap that kllled me.

~Bang

Notice how the staccato editing mirrored Dragnet dialog.

And the Library Cop's name was "Mr. Bookman." :)

Archived