Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS RE-SIGN DL PHIL TAYLOR SR.

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

April 3, 2018

REDSKINS RE-SIGN DL PHIL TAYLOR SR.

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed defensive lineman Phil Taylor Sr. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Taylor (6-3, 343) was originally drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the first round (No. 21 overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 44 career regular season games with 42 starts, tallying 109 tackles (69 solo), 7.0 sacks, three passes defensed, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

Taylor finished his collegiate career at Baylor, where he started 22 of the 25 games in which he played for the Bears and earned All-Big 12 Conference honors as a senior after posting 62 tackles (35 solo), two sacks, two passes defensed and one forced fumble. He began his collegiate career at Penn State, appearing in 19 games with five starts for the Nittany Lions.

Taylor, 29, attended Gwynn Park H.S. in Brandywine, Md., where he earned all-state and All-Metro first-team honors as a senior. He was born April 7, 1988.

-REDSKINS-

43 minutes ago, trap said:

I hope this does not distract Bruce from  taking a NT in the first round. 

I hope it does, as IMO there aren't any that are really worth it in the 1st. This is a good signing. Hopefully they still go after Hankins.

I'm glad the Skins took another chance on him.  Curious to find out the terms of the contract.  This could be a good find for the Skins, if he stays healthy.  But he turns 30 this weekend.  

As for drafting a NT in the first round, that still seems up in the air.  There'll be a lot of talented BPA candidates who'll slide down to 13 during the early rush for QBs.  If so, we'll find out a lot more about the Skins on whether they ignore BPA and draft strictly for need.

IMHO, since the Skins need help in a lot of areas, going BPA might actually fill one of their many needs.  If so, I hope they go BPA, because they really need more play-makers and max-talented players, rather than the traditional accumulation of affordable 2nd-tier to JAG level players.  

Hopefully the Skins will be picking later in future drafts; so, this year, it make sense to grab the BPA talent that happened to slide to 13. Because, if they play better, the Skins may not get those types chances in future years.

If this is the only move they make on the defensive line then yep it is a disappointment- but when he was in preseason and in camp last year he was playing well and you could see the talent so for pennies this is a good camp fodder move if nothing else. It also gives a guy one more chance - and gives us a chance to really REALLY test out our state of the art recovery facilities :)

One thing i did notice yesterday was a slight shift in the apparent  stance on the Jonathan Hankins position - going into the owners meeting last week Tandler and JP were both saying the deal was dead and neither side could see anything happening - Then in an article (SIP) posted yesterday Tandler said the skins were still interested in working out a deal if Hankins agent was willing to deal (move off his expectations) - and given what seems to be a slow market for Hankins its slightly more positive . (going from 0.000 chance to a 0.001% chance maybe) 

On 4/3/2018 at 5:55 PM, trap said:

I hope this does not distract Bruce from  taking a NT in the first round. 

PT was playing exceptionally well last TC and pre-season.   On paper, and for this season Phil Taylor is better than Payne or Vea.  So, If Taylor can get through the off season and actually play the few snaps per defensive series during the regular season, we can afford a third rounder NT in likes of Tim Settle or Folorunso Fatukasi in the fourth round.  Both guys need development but have run stuffing ability and massive girth.  Plus, we could discard either Hood or McClain  come June 01 and save some serious cap.

11 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

PT was playing exceptionally well last TC and pre-season.   On paper, and for this season Phil Taylor is better than Payne or Vea.  So, If Taylor can get through the off season and actually play the few snaps per defensive series during the regular season, we can afford a third rounder NT in likes of Tim Settle or Folorunso Fatukasi in the fourth round.  Both guys need development but have run stuffing ability and massive girth.  Plus, we could discard either Hodges or McClain  come June 01 and save some serious cap.

Thats very true, One thing I liked about the potential Hankins deal was the freedom to go BPA in the draft. Minkah, Guice, Edmunds, Nelson, etc, all excite me. If PT looks capable of holding down the fort while a 4th rounder develops, all the better. Someone in the top 7 will slide to 13, happens every year, it would be nice to be in that spot where a DT at 13 wasn't the only option.

Oh, believe me, I'd still love to get Hankins, too.  He's a two down lineman whereas I see Phil Taylor and Vita Vea as a one down lineman.  Plus, in a hurry-up offensive series, Hankins won't have to urgently rotate out as he can get to the QB.  I think PT can still collapse the pocket well, but because of his injuries, I'd probably have him in on first down only and wait and see how he comes along.

I thought it’s been established Hankins doesn’t get to the QB? Primarily a run stuffing linemen. 

Also, it appears McGee is getting lumped in with Mclains reported poor play. Any metrics on how McGee played as a whole last year??  I remember games where most felt he played well. 

Archived