Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS RE-SIGN DL PHIL TAYLOR SR.

TK

8 hours ago, wit33 said:

I thought it’s been established Hankins doesn’t get to the QB? Primarily a run stuffing linemen. 

Also, it appears McGee is getting lumped in with Mclains reported poor play. Any metrics on how McGee played as a whole last year??  I remember games where most felt he played well. 

I think McGee's moments were brain farts that got him in the dog house, and therefore should be even better in 2018. He's a guy that has raw talent and work ethic but needs more coaching to reach his potential, while McClain was expected to contribute immediately (2017 and 2018). 

According to profootballfocus, McGee is on par with Matt Ioannidis. 
McClain is one of the five worst interior defenders to qualify.

Appears as though McClain had stuff going on last year and has (paraphrasing) 'vowed to make up for it'. There is some reason in suggesting that the Redskins DL group could be top shelf with health on their side and a first round addition. 

I was trying to find a breakdown on when we were worst against the run (what type of defense were we in).  Looking at the number of times we were in base, seems our biggest issue stopping the run was the inability to deal with the run when we were in more of a nickel mode (not due to a problem at NT). Also, until injuries killed us, we stopped the rushing game (except for broken plays) of our opponents.  In 5 of our first 8 games, we played against top rushing teams in terms of yards and another was against a team who did well in their limited attempts (most of SFO's rushing issues came because of not being in the right situations) while still another saw most of the damage from the QB.

Does anyone remember that we were dead last in the league at stopping the run... How does Phil Taylor who hasn't played a snap in a few years fix that.. Sorry but we need to do better up front to deal with Cowgirls and the Eagle running attack.. My feeling is they better sign Hankins or draft a stud run stuffer in the middle or its going to much of the same again.... we could draft a safety but Elliot will already have gained 5 yards before we get him to the ground

12 minutes ago, trap said:

Does anyone remember that we were dead last in the league at stopping the run... How does Phil Taylor who hasn't played a snap in a few years fix that.. Sorry but we need to do better up front to deal with Cowgirls and the Eagle running attack.. My feeling is they better sign Hankins or draft a stud run stuffer in the middle or its going to much of the same again.... we could draft a safety but Elliot will already have gained 5 yards before we get him to the ground

Because it doesn't look like we were dead last against the run due to a missing run stuffer at NT.  We were one of the best at stopping the run against some of the best rushing offenses until injuries became too much. Indications are that our problem was more about the inability to set the edge and maybe an inability to consistently overload the POA (both seem to have more to do with injuries to Allen, Brown and Nichloson). Before I really leap, I'd like to know what forms we we were in when we could not stop the run.  Ionidas's broken hand also seemed to be a big issue.

On 4/3/2018 at 7:31 PM, redskinss said:

For some strange reason I read the title and thought we had resigned Dr phil. 

My first thought was I didnt know he was on the team last year. 

Perhaps wishful thinking ?

I mean, don't we all wish that Phil Taylor was indeed a doctor, because then he would probably have a better idea on how to prevent so many of his injuries ?

21 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Because it doesn't look like we were dead last against the run due to a missing run stuffer at NT.  We were one of the best at stopping the run against some of the best rushing offenses until injuries became too much. Indications are that our problem was more about the inability to set the edge and maybe an inability to consistently overload the POA (both seem to have more to do with injuries to Allen, Brown and Nichloson). Before I really leap, I'd like to know what forms we we were in when we could not stop the run.  Ionidas's broken hand also seemed to be a big issue.

Agree.  Early in the year they were good at stopping the run. But Ionidas was never the same after he broke his hand, Allen and then Brown got hurt and it was a different defense. 

When he first signed I saw Phil Taylor as a long shot. But you can't ignore all the reports that he was dominating in camp. 

Archived