Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

Preseason is just such an odd indicator of judging talent because there are always players that seem to shine and then are cut or even if they make the roster they barely ever see a game.

Hell, look at Maurice Harris, every time the guy is in an actual game it seems like he is making a big 3rd down catch or something spectacular like the diving one hand TD catch against the Vikings, yet somehow even during a season like 2017 where none of the WRs were remarkable, it seemed like Harris didn't get a whole lot of chances to play.

• Like 5

While Washington had the most yards of any rookie, Sims has the best yards per route at 5.46. He’s had 131 yards on eight targets through his first two games. Maybe the most impressive part though is his four contested catches, which leads all rookies.

WashingtonOVRGrades.jpg

• Like 5

If JAG Quick makes it over a promising young guy like Sims due to ST's, that will be a shame. I get it, its an important part of making the roster as a young developmental player. But Quick brings nothing to this team otherwise. 

• Like 5

Yeah, that’s a factor I definitely wonder about in regards to Sims.  Have no idea of his ST abilities, but he sure has a slight frame for it.  If you like a guy’s upside, but no they’re not ready to start... do you waive the “must be good on teams” requisite?

And then there’s the fact that I don’t really know what exactly the makeup of ST is.  Like, how many of each ‘body type’ do you need?  Do we we have enough guys elsewhere on the roster to cover someone in Sims’ situation (if he’s not good on teams)?

Does Gruden look at Doctson’s situation (oft injured, entering his 3rd year, somewhat unproven), Harris and Richardson’s injury history and think, “I better hold onto Sims because he has better upside than Quick and I can’t really rely on Crowder or Quinn to play outside”?

Interesting situation for sure.  

@ConnSKINS26While I completely agree, it got me thinking.  What is the difference between Quick and Harris? They both know the offense, both have looked good in practice, both had a single fantastic catch last year, neither really contributed last year beyond those catches, both got injured last year, both have good size, and both have had concussions.  Oh, and both got ‘beat out’ by Grant, lol.  I gotta admit, I hadn’t really looked at it that way before. 

Edited by skinny21

Well, Quick is a 29-year old veteran. We know what he is and its not a starter. 

Harris is 25 and going into his 3rd season, upside unknown.

Harris has also seemed more reliable to me despite his lack of usage--besides his great catch down the sideline last season, he also had other clutch 3rd down catches. Seems to have great hands, whereas that's always been a question for Quick. 

To me I don't see any reason to keep Quick over Harris, if you have to choose one. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, that’s a factor I definitely wonder about in regards to Sims.  Have no idea of his ST abilities, but he sure has a slight frame for it.  If you like a guy’s upside, but no they’re not ready to start... do you waive the “must be good on teams” requisite?

And then there’s the fact that I don’t really know what exactly the makeup of ST is.  Like, how many of each ‘body type’ do you need?  Do we we have enough guys elsewhere on the roster to cover someone in Sims’ situation (if he’s not good on teams)?

Does Gruden look at Doctson’s situation (oft injured, entering his 3rd year, somewhat unproven), Harris and Richardson’s injury history and think, “I better hold onto Sims because he has better upside than Quick and I can’t really rely on Crowder or Quinn to play outside”?

Interesting situation for sure.  

@ConnSKINS26While I completely agree, it got me thinking.  What is the difference between Quick and Harris? They both know the offense, both have looked good in practice, both had a single fantastic catch last year, neither really contributed last year beyond those catches, both got injured last year, both have good size, and both have had concussions.  Oh, and both got ‘beat out’ by Grant, lol.  I gotta admit, I hadn’t really looked at it that way before. 

I keep Harris and Sims over Quick all day. 

In terms of the bold - Doctson played all 16 games last year, including more offensive snaps than any other WR on the team. I posted the data a few pages back.

I know people like to trash Grant, but it looks like he set to be the #2 target for Andrew Luck. He played pretty well last year despite fans distaste for him.

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, goskins10 said:

I keep Harris and Sims over Quick all day. 

In terms of the bold - Doctson played all 16 games last year, including more offensive snaps than any other WR on the team. I posted the data a few pages back.

I do too, because of the potential upside.  They’ve got more similarities then I would have first thought though. 

Yeah, I know Doctson was healthy, but it was an issue and even Gruden seemed a bit frustrated year 1.  Hopefully he’s mostly put it behind him. Just to be clear, I don’t hold it against him, but it’s still a lingering concern as of now.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

We should get a dose of Reed/Crowder/Doctson in the third game???  Haven't heard of any of those guys being out have you??

Reed is out. Or at least it’s a really safe bet.

I wanna see us come out with some urgency. Get into a rhythm. Score some points. We need some confidence.

EDIT: I have been scooped by a drunken potato. I am self imposing a two day ban on myself.  I will see y’all Saturday.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

I do too, because of the potential upside.  They’ve got more similarities then I would have first thought though. 

Yeah, I know Doctson was healthy, but it was an issue and even Gruden seemed a bit frustrated year 1.  Hopefully he’s mostly put it behind him. Just to be clear, I don’t hold it against him, but it’s still a lingering concern as of now.  

Sorry, not trying to be an ass here but I do not see it as a lingering issue when he plays every single game and has the most snaps the year after he had the injury issue. I am a big fan of Jays but I believe he was wrong to show his frustration with Josh. It was the medical team not properly diagnosing the issue. Josh even tried to play hurt and could not go. He was right to make sure he was 100% before playing. He could have injured himself permanently.

I am really looking forward to seeing him and Alex working together. For whatever reason it never seemed like he and Kirk were really on the same page. Not placing blame. It happens. QB/WRs do not always have a good rapport even if both players are good. But early word is that ALex and Josh are developing really good chemistry. Should be fun to watch.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Pretty sure that Quick is a special teamer. I don't think he's a returner, but I think he does play coverage.

I'll look for that Friday then.  As of right now, Quinn is returning punts and Sims won us that game the other day.  Quick isn't making enough of an impact to make the 53 over them, imo.

10 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Tough to let talent go, but it also tough to justify paying a WR like him the kind of big money he may fetch on the open market too. 

His replacement is already on the roster. Crowder is overrated around here. He's basically been the only WR we've had for two years and basically done very little with it. He can go whenever. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

His replacement is already on the roster. Crowder is overrated around here. He's basically been the only WR we've had for two years and basically done very little with it. He can go whenever. 

I should maybe have said that it can be tough to let go. I'm not particularly concerned about keeping him at a very high cap hit. I would prefer they use the cap expense on other things, but he's in an audition year to make the coaches and us reconsider that approach.