Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good decisions made by Redskins in 2017

gooseneck

1. Letting Garcon and Jackson leave- still have some questions on Garcon but with the injury it seemed time to move on from them.

2. Signing Brown

3. Drafting Allen- almost a no brainer but Foster was available too

I am sure there are others- to add

Thread off to a poor start...

Good decision by Redskins:

1. New D-Line.

2. Will Compton = Bench

3. Re-signing Vernon Davis

4. Zach Vigil, Bibbs, mid-season FAs. 

5. Draft was decent, had contributions from late round picks. 

... uhhhhhhh

uhhhhh

There's SO many bad decisions... sooooo many lol  

1. Not re-signing Garcon/DJax and Pryror = BAD

2. 2 straight franchise tags for Cousins = BAD

3. No Kick/Punt returner on roster = BAD

4. Losing McVay and Shanahan = BAD

5. Our GM being fired for whatever reason = BAD

6. Our RBs = BAD

7. Our WRs = BAD

8. 22 year old 2nd round picks retiring = BAD

9. Gruden calling plays = BAD

10. Entire team on IR = BAD       (sure I can find someone to blame here, must be our S&C coaches) 

Good decisions by the Skins in 2017

1. Signing Brown and DJ in free agency

2. Finding serviceable guys like Mo Harris, K Bibbs, Anthony Lanier, Arie K off the street and actually getting something out of them

3. Seeing the continued development of many players like Ryan Kerrigan year after year. Guys like him and Preston, Matt I, Chris T, Josh D all had career best years

4. Sticking with Junior G throughout his many past season struggles and getting something out of him

5. Giving a contract extension to Gruden and promoting Doug Williams

6. Kicking Scot M to the curb after giving him his likely last chance in the NFL after his continued drinking issues

7. Not yet giving into Kirk and making him the highest paid Quarterback in the league for years (he’s not the best in the league or top five and shouldn’t be paid like it). They did give into one season of him making top five money but at least it was only for one season

8. Turning the defense around. Yes the running game defense is/was still an issue but if not for the games the defense had the record would have been worse and this unit is better then it was last season

9. Kirk being able to produce his Redskins record breaking third straight season throwing for more then 4000 yards

10. Even though the streak was broken it was a positive thing that this team went from 2014 to this year without playing a meaningless game in December. 

Wont bring out all of the negatives since this is a positive thread

7 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

2. Finding serviceable guys like Mo Harris, K Bibbs, Anthony Lanier, Arie K off the street and actually getting something out of them

Well, we were the ones that send Kouandjio on the streets by cutting him at the end of TC, and both Lanier and Harris were with us last year. Not really off the street guys.

7 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

8. Turning the defense around. Yes the running game defense is/was still an issue but if not for the games the defense had the record would have been worse and this unit is better then it was last season

Not much of a turnover. In some points, it's even worse.

2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Good decisions by the Skins in 2017

6. Kicking Scot M to the curb after giving him his likely last chance in the NFL after his continued drinking issues

I think the jury is still out on this one.  The Redskins, or rather Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder could have been jealous that Scot was getting all of the praise.  Remember in Scot we trust?  The whole franchise seemed to be on a positive uptick and then all the sudden he's fired and we're back to the clown car days with drama and extremely poor front office decisions.  Notice there isn't much media/press on the lawsuit with regards to the final payout of Scot's contract. 

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Well, we were the ones that send Kouandjio on the streets by cutting him at the end of TC, and both Lanier and Harris were with us last year. Not really off the street guys.

Not much of a turnover. In some points, it's even worse.

Sorry that my look on the bright side of things is unpopular today but remember Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Sure the defense looked like hot garbage yesterday but truth is had they always looked that way the team would have lost more games then they did.

They improved from last season. 

There were some good moments in the 2017 season on that side of the football. Like the game against the Raiders holding Crabtree, Cooper, and that offense in check like they did. That’s just one good memory for me. The previous season I didn’t have any. It got better not always looking great but it got better and is on the right track. 

No defense is perfect. Everyone of them can get better

15 minutes ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

I think the jury is still out on this one.  The Redskins, or rather Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder could have been jealous that Scot was getting all of the praise.  Remember in Scot we trust?  The whole franchise seemed to be on a positive uptick and then all the sudden he's fired and we're back to the clown car days with drama and extremely poor front office decisions.  Notice there isn't much media/press on the lawsuit with regards to the final payout of Scot's contract. 

Personally never bought into that bs. Scot has always gotten too much credit and not enough blame for what he did before getting here. Remember he was fired early from his previous two stops. Also I believe that this lawsuit against the owners is bs.

Some things that Scot did others hated I agreed on like spending that first pick on Brandon S. Some things he did that others loved I thought were a complete waste of time we’re like drafting Keith Marshall. I haven’t always agreed on what moves Scot made and haven’t been too impressed with his results

Bottom line to me is if he was openly drinking him being here was a bad idea and painted a black eye on the owner. I never disliked Scot thought he was a decent talent scout but still think that he himself was the person to choose to hit the bottle again and since he did he had to go. Was the right message to send. Besides his last draft the 2016 draft looks like crap

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_draft_history

The 2014 draft was better and he wasn’t the guy drafting those guys. 

I'm going to put the defensive staff on the good list. Getting Tomsula and Gray seemed to really help the D before the injuries took their toll. Manusky seems more positive than negative or at least more of a positive than I thought he would be.

Chris Thompson was a good decision and really was the team MVP until his injury.

LB Vigil seems like he was pretty good as an off the street mid season pick up.

Rose did a good job as a mid season off the street replacement.

Ionadis did well to improve his stock to solid rotational guy.

Fuller bounced back really well. Strong season.

I'm still pretty happy with our 2017 draft.

Regarding Scot, the way they handled his dismissal was BS. However, the one thing that bothered me about Scot was that he's an alcoholic that admits that he still drinks. He found us some solid players but if you're an alcoholic you can't drink at all. The inability to drink in moderation is one of things that makes you an alcoholic in the first place.

I like Millen.  He has a good scheme, just not quite there from a personnel standpoint

Brown was a great signing, and letting garcon and jackson go was the right decision.  Signing pryor as a replacement, well...

I think Allen was a good pick.  

good decisions:

letting djax walk

letting baker walk

signing brown

paying kirk at least one more year

signing swearinger

drafting allen

bad decsions:

losing garcon

not signing kirk to a LTD

not signing a real def coordinator

not signing a real ST coach

counting on sua cravens

ignoring NT (and NT depth) for the 7th straight season

continuing to play shaun lavao

continuing to pretend that rob kelley is an NFL runningback

ignoring the return game on ST

continuing to pretend that bruce allen knows how to run a football team

@Garcon More Wine

ST return game was 4th in punt return avg. last year...

Eh, Kelley's not a bad back... he's just not a very good one.  

Counting on Cravens?  Not sure I really follow...

I'm hoping you're wrong about Manusky, but I can't disagree with you here.  I do have trouble really judging him given the injuries and offensive issues.  The defense did have some good games at least.  I also have to give him credit for bringing Tomsula and Gray on board.  

6 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I'm hoping you're wrong about Manusky, but I can't disagree with you here.  I do have trouble really judging him given the injuries and offensive issues.  The defense did have some good games at least.  I also have to give him credit for bringing Tomsula and Gray on board.  

Manusky started out pretty well. I was getting ready to eat some crow. When the injuries began piling up he wasn't really able to mask it all that well, but I remember games where both Norman and Breeland were out with injuries and the D still did its job. Eventually though, I think there was just too much... losing Allen, both middle linebackers, Nicholson, (whose loss is probably really underrated) and relying on a one armed Matt Ionadious  just gutted the middle of the defense.

Overall, I still think Manusky did better than I thought he would. My guess is that he's a C/C+ Defensive Coordinator which is a huge step up from both Barry and Haslett who are at best F's and probably N's. 

Interesting list of "bad": decisions. Some are fair, but others are a bit of hindsight being 20/20 along with a strong dose of personal narrative. Let's dissect.

10 hours ago, Garcon More Wine said:

bad decsions:

losing garcon

not signing kirk to a LTD

not signing a real def coordinator

not signing a real ST coach

counting on sua cravens

ignoring NT (and NT depth) for the 7th straight season

continuing to play shaun lavao

continuing to pretend that rob kelley is an NFL runningback

ignoring the return game on ST

continuing to pretend that bruce allen knows how to run a football team

Letting Garcon go - I personally would have been OK with keeping him, but with his salary at his age it was not a "bad" decision to let him go. It was a business decision and should have been OK if Pryor did not completely flop. In hindsight he would have been valuable. But that's in hindsight. At the time the decision was made it was a reasonable decision. 

Not signing Kirk to a LTD - Spot on correct here. 

Not signing a"real DC" - With all the new toys Manusky's D was more than solid. Then the injuries piled up. There was such an absence of talent on that side of the ball, the depth just was not there. The two best Dline players injured - Allen and Iaonnidis.

Not signing a "real STs coach" - Redskins were in the top 10 of most STs categories the last 2 (15' and 16') years under Kotwica. Had Hopkins not missed a few critical FGs in 2016, they would have been top 5. You can see it here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ 

Counting on Sua' Cravens - They signing Dj Swearinger and drafted Montae Nicholson for Ss. Not exactly just counting on one guy. You can't just give up on a guy with his potential. 

Ignoring NT - So drafting Allen with the 1st rd pick is ignoring the position? The FAs out the were too expensive. Also, until Allen and Ioannidis got injured the Dline was very disruptive. It was still not bad. Just for reference, the Redskins were tied for 7th with 42 sacks. Not saying they were good. D certainly had their problems. Butg to say they ignored the NT in not accurate. 

Shaun Lauvau - Spot on here. Not sure why he is still in the NFL He gets trucked whenever it seems to count most. 

Rob Kelley - Personal narrative. He was playing well until injured. He may not be fancy but he is more than adequate. Would I like a big time RB? Sure. But that's not how the offense is built. The bigger problem with the run game is the blocking - which is poor at best. Not making any changes in run blocking schemes would have been a fair complaint. But you can't blame the backs when they routinely get hit in the backfield or right at the line of scrimmage. 

Return game - See above. If Crowder would just hold onto the ball he would be fine. Breeland did a pretty good job at KR. Most are just TBs so the position is not what it used to be. 

Bruce Allen - Can't argue there. As others have said - if he would just stay in his lane and work the CAP and contracts and stay our of player decisions then it would be fine.  But he can't seem to stay out of the way. Kirk debacle will be his downfall I believe. 

Not this one: 

19 hours ago, Mooka said:

There's SO many bad decisions... sooooo many lol  

1. Not re-signing Garcon/DJax and Pryror = BAD

2. 2 straight franchise tags for Cousins = BAD

3. No Kick/Punt returner on roster = BAD

4. Losing McVay and Shanahan = BAD

5. Our GM being fired for whatever reason = BAD

6. Our RBs = BAD

7. Our WRs = BAD

8. 22 year old 2nd round picks retiring = BAD

9. Gruden calling plays = BAD

10. Entire team on IR = BAD       (sure I can find someone to blame here, must be our S&C coaches) 

1. DJax/Garcon/Pryor - I assume you meant to say not sign the first two then signing Pryor. It doesn't read that way but I believe that is just a forgotten word - of which I have no room to talk as my typos are many. So not a criticism. I will respond as how the WRs were handled. 

DJax had to go. never played a full season. He is also a one trick pony - a great trick mind you. Enjoyed having him. But not worth the money it would take to keep an over 30 yo speed WR.

Garcon - Would have been nice to keep him but Pryor should have been able to fill that role. Again, a lot of money for an aging WR. He got injured this year - I know the is no way to predict other than once players get over 30 they are more susceptible to injury and he proved it. 

Pryor - A of hindsight here. Not all FAs will work out. There was every reason to think Pryor could at least be average. He turned into a total bust. It happens.  But was it a "bad" decision when it was made? No. 

2. I was not worried about the 2nd tag as long as they signed him to a LTD before he played on the 2nd tag. So let me adjust the wording a little - Letting Kirk play on the tag for two years in a row. That I agree is a horribly bad decision. 

3. No KR/PR on the roster - Not true at all. Breeland did a decent job at KR. Crowder would be good if he held onto the ball. More importantly last year the Redskins were 4th in PRs I believe. Why would you change that? 

4. Losing McVay and Shannahan - To be frank these are kind of ridiculous. Let's start with Shanahan was 4 yrs ago. How is that a bad decision this year? It was the right decision at the time. Had to clean house of the shannys. Mike had to go. Kyle was not staying. To keep Kyle you have to keep Mike. If you think letting Mike go was a bad decision, that's your right but I totally disagree. He was a bad cancer. Either way it was 4 yrs ago, not this year. SO at best it's a stretch. 

McVay - The Redskins could not block him from changing teams. He wanted a HC'ing job and there was not one in Wash. So he left Also, I seem to remember an awful lot of game day threads where people wanted him to have play calling duties taken away (something all fans think they are better at since it works on Madden). It was not a bad decision. It is part of the business. 

5. Scot debacle - Hard to argue here outside we really do not know the details. The bigger issue I have is not firing Scot. It's not replacing him with a real GM. That's a complete joke. BA is not someone who can perform well as a GM. Let him handle politics, the stadium, and contracts. Stay the **** out of everything else. 

6. RBs - So Chris Thompson is bad? I get some don't like Kelley or Perine. But neither have had any kind of blocking to help them. It's hard to gain yards when you constantly get hit at or behind the LOS. And let's give Perine another season to see. He was improving as the season went on - but with almost 30 different Oline combinations, it's hard to judge anyone. I like this Bibbs kid. Glad they resigned him. 

7. Our WRs - Repeat from #1. 

8. Sua Cravens - How is him retiring a bad decision for the Redskins? Te kid has some serious troubles OK. But how is him retiring a bad decision by the team? If you mean by drafting him in the first place, the draft is crap shoot. Not all players will work out. He has potential just hasn't worked out. That's not a "bad" decision by the team. That's more **** happens. 

9. Gruden calling plays - fans of all teams now believe whoever is calling plays should not be calling plays. Go on any message board for any team and you will see that on everyone, especially game days. Even NE or Pitts and other teams with good to great offenses. The one constant complaint is play calling. Every fan thinks they are expert play callers. They are not! Just like everywhere else, the criticism is greatly exaggerated.

10. Players on IR - ow is the world is this a "bad decision" by the team? Are you suggesting they tell them "forget your injury, just play through it!" I hope that's not the message here. The Redskins were hit with an overwhelming numbers of injuries. It sucks and had a major impact on the season. But how is that a bad decision? If you can provide examples of players that were put on IR that should not have been and could have made a difference in the season, I would be interested to here why. Otherwise this is just complaining to complain.

Good:

1. Drafting Allen was a no brainer, but even with the injury, it was a good start to a front 7 that needs lots of help and showed against the Giants, Dallas, Philadelphia, New Orleans, and Minnesota, among others, that this defense cannot stop a decent running game..

Bad:

1. Making improvements to the running backs, but not so much to the OL. Sort of like trying to make the car go faster by buying a new engine and leaving 2 out of 4 wheels flat. Perrine was a good pickup in the 4th. But the only help provided to an average interior of the OL was a 6th round center. True, he was better than Long, the third round pickup who never cracked the top half of centers in the NFL, but the interior of the OL still can't produce a decent running game against above average defenses.

Here's hoping for improvements to the OL and DL to stop and start a running game.

Archived