Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good decisions made by Redskins in 2017

gooseneck

1 minute ago, wildbill1952 said:

Bad:

1. Making improvements to the running backs, but not so much to the OL. Sort of like trying to make the car go faster by buying a new engine and leaving 2 out of 4 wheels flat. Perrine was a good pickup in the 4th. But the only help provided to an average interior of the OL was a 6th round center. True, he was better than Long, the third round pickup who never cracked the top half of centers in the NFL, but the interior of the OL still can't produce a decent running game against above average defenses.

I thought Long was okay, but that the real problem was Louvaou and the tight ends.

24 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

DJax had to go. never played a full season. He is also a one trick pony - a great trick mind you. Enjoyed having him. But not worth the money it would take to keep an over 30 yo speed WR.

Garcon - Would have been nice to keep him but Pryor should have been able to fill that role. Again, a lot of money for an aging WR. He got injured this year - I know the is no way to predict other than once players get over 30 they are more susceptible to injury and he proved it. 

Pryor - A of hindsight here. Not all FAs will work out. There was every reason to think Pryor could at least be average. He turned into a total bust. It happens.  But was it a "bad" decision when it was made? No. 

DJax I've been fine with losing. Garcon and the failure of Pryor are not hindsight. Pryor was signed to be a backup to Doctson. It's why they weren't on the field at the same time. The plan was never for Pryor to replace DJax and/or Garcon. He was signed as an insurance policy for Doctson. The reality is that we expected a 2nd year WR with almost zero playing time in over a year to be awesome straight out the gate or his one year wonder backup to do it instead. That was a horrible decision.

Garcon cost too much and needed to walk? Okay, sign someone reliable to fill in his place. Don't sign a second year WR to backup a second year WR.

28 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

DJax I've been fine with losing. Garcon and the failure of Pryor are not hindsight. Pryor was signed to be a backup to Doctson. It's why they weren't on the field at the same time. The plan was never for Pryor to replace DJax and/or Garcon. He was signed as an insurance policy for Doctson. The reality is that we expected a 2nd year WR with almost zero playing time in over a year to be awesome straight out the gate or his one year wonder backup to do it instead. That was a horrible decision.

Garcon cost too much and needed to walk? Okay, sign someone reliable to fill in his place. Don't sign a second year WR to backup a second year WR.

Well, I would say putting Pryor and Doctson at the same position was a horrible decision... like so bad I almost can’t even fathom it.  Pryor was not signed to backup Doctson though.  There’s just no way that’s the case.  

Related to that, here’s another thing I don’t get.  Ike said Quick had the best camp... which I suppose would maybe be a part of the reason (combined with Doctson’s injury) that Pryor and Doctson were put on the same side.  But then Quick barely played... I mean WTH.  I just don’t get it at all.  

33 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not this one: 

1. DJax/Garcon/Pryor - I assume you meant to say not sign the first two then signing Pryor.

Nah, that was a metaphor for the current state of the organization. BAD is also a clever acronym. You may need to read into things a little more.  :ols:

On a real note:

1. Its not Garcon/DJax themselves. DeSean doesn't really play hard anymore and Garcon is getting old. Its losing 120+catches for 2000+ yards, and replacing that with Terrelle Pryror and Josh Doctson. 

3. Breeland can return kicks, but he's a starting CB. CT can return kicks fine, Crowder had a nice year last season as a PR. These are not special teamers. Yes, it is hindsight to say Crowder shouldn't have been our PR this season after being a pro-bowl alternate last season there, however it was certainly a point of question at the start of the season. There were questions as to whether Crowder would be taking a bigger role in the offense and less on teams. The BAD is not having an actual special teams player behind these guys. I've never in my life seen someone miff 3 punts in a manner of a few weeks and keep their job. Should've kept Blackmon or someone similar to take the pressure off of Crowder when he was struggling.  Even Kendall Fuller backing up Crowder is not what we want. 

6. Chris Thompson is my favorite Redskin on this roster. He's 5'9" 190 pounds. The more you're forced to rely on him the more likely he gets hurt. Kelley and Samaje can be evaluated despite our current running game. Its very telling when we sign guys off the street like Pierre Thomas and Bibbs who are instantly serviceable. 

9. If the Redskins listened to me we'd be all enjoying our the first round bye right now. 

On 1/1/2018 at 8:28 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The best decision the Redskins made this season was bringing back the burgundy pants into the regular rotation. 

Momma, how did you not notice that this actually happened, last year

http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/teams/2016_Washington.shtml                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Firing Barry, although I'm still not sold on Manusky.                                                                                                                                                            Both zach's.                                                                                                                                                                                                               Drafting Allen

7 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Momma, how did you not notice that this actually happened, last year

http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/teams/2016_Washington.shtml                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Firing Barry, although I'm still not sold on Manusky.                                                                                                                                                            Both zach's.                                                                                                                                                                                                               Drafting Allen

What? No way. I guess all these disappointing seasons blur together. I remember them coming back last year once or twice but not featured regularly like this year. At least that’s the way it felt

Good thread. 

I'm guilty of complaining about not having a true GM or talent person on staff. But whoever made the decisions above deserves a kudos, whether is be Bruce Allen, Eric Schafer, Dan Snyder, Alex Santos, or Doug Williams

I also like keeping Dunny as the #2 or #3 CB and Kevin O'Connell the QB coach. Hopefully Bill Callahan stays on board and doesn't go back to Oakland with Chucky. 

Letting Garcon go was a bad decision but good for Garcon because now he has a better SF quarterback to get him the ball.

We found some players for the defensive backfield that are young and capable of getting the job done next season.

Weakness remains defensive line and no running attack once Thompson got injured.  Like Tomsula as a line coach.

He was a dreadful head coach for 49ers.

In the long term, letting Garcon and Jackson go were good decisions. The problem is we didn't adequately replace them for this year. We all thought(myself included)we'd get the same Pryor production that he delivered last year, that Doc would show more, that Crowder would take a step up instead of step back in  year 3, and Reed would actually stay on the field.

I still think we had a real good draft too. Allen is a stud and Moreau and Nicholson looked real good(unfortunately Nicholson seems injury prone). Perine for all his struggles, gave us some good games, which isn't bad for a rookie mid round pick. Roulier looks like the real deal at C. We may have whiffed taking Anderson in round 2 though, could have had one of the big time rookie backs, but still too early to tell.

On 1/4/2018 at 1:49 PM, Warhead36 said:

In the long term, letting Garcon and Jackson go were good decisions. The problem is we didn't adequately replace them for this year. We all thought(myself included)we'd get the same Pryor production that he delivered last year, that Doc would show more, that Crowder would take a step up instead of step back in  year 3, and Reed would actually stay on the field.

I agree with this ... kinda.  Doctson being hurt during the off-season and into TC showed pretty quickly that we were basically betting the entire season that Pryor could play.  Both Reed and Doctson were on PUP (I believe, or at least both were hurt early in camp.)  Pryor was actually signed as an insurance policy to Doctson, not to start opposite him.  Gruden wanted to experiment with Crowder on the outside in 2 WR sets, and then move him inside on 3 WR sets so future hall of famer Ryan Grant could get his shot at stardom.

NOTE: I am not taking a shot at Grant.  I like Grant.  I don't blame him.  I blame the entire freaking organization from Dan Snyder to the water boy for allowing Grant to be a starting WR on opening day, and understanding that was the plan from the beginning to replace 2 1000 yard receivers.  

That should NEVER have been allowed to happen.  And the fact we are "going to do everything we can" to bring back Grant so we can do it again is ... troubling.  

I agree, letting Garcon and DJax walk, long term good decision.  Replacement of them, BAD BAD BAD job from the get go.  

Archived