Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Kind of Fan Do You Consider Yourself?

Diehard Otis

Identify Your Fandom  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which Option Best Describes Your Fandom?

• I'm not a Redskins fan
    • My time as a fan of this team is all but over.
    • I've just about had it with The Skins, but I still root for them.
    • I used to be a bigger fan of the team. These days, I'm just here.
    • I cheer for several teams. The Redskins are one of them
    • When asked, I answer Redskins. That's about it.
    • I'm more of a fair weather fan.
    • My team is The Washington Redskins, period.
    • I stick by the team through thick and thin. I'll always support them.
    • I'm one of the core Diehards. This thing is for life!

This poll is closed to new votes

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, thebluefood said:

1.) Thanks for sharing that with us. As down as I have been on the team lately, I always like to run into fans that go back further than the Gibbs I era. 

2.) How did you all make it through the "dark ages" back in the 1950s and 1960s when the team was often mediocre and at times putrid (especially in the early 1960s)? What kept spirits up when year after year, the team showed little signs of sustained improvement? I think your insight would be deeply appreciated right now. 

My father was going to games in the 50's and 60's with his friends and my mom even had a season ticket for a few years after they got married.  The games were not on local TV, so if you wanted to see it, you had to go....oh yeah, and they used to smuggle in beer and booze as well.  Griffith stadium was tiny by today's standards, so the seats were really close too.  My dad did give up his ticket during the McPeak tenure and did not get tickets back in his name until 1994.  Luckily, his friends kept theirs and he was always able to go once the sellout streak started.  As a kid, I went to a game in 1970 and another in 1975.

I'm a die hard fan from Ottawa Ontario Canada.

Been a fan since I was 8 years old in 1982.  Way before the time of multiple games on TV or NFL Network or Sunday Ticket etc, so I only saw them a few times.  Hell, I only had a black and white TV in my room.

But the colors and logo were it for me!  Loved them!  There used to be a local team called the Redskins that I wished I could play for but was out of the jurisdiction.  (That team no longer exists, and it's a damn shame and not a story for here)

I've had jersey's as a kid until now from Riggins to D.Green to Alvin Walton to Reggie Brooks to Monk to Devin Thomas to many ST's (both #36 and #21), to autographed Manley etc etc.  I've got paintings and mini helmets and a big helmet and fuzzy dice and nerf footballs and toys and beer glasses and etc etc etc.

My dog's name is Dexter, I've got 1 tattoo and it of course is the Redskins logo.

I just can't stop and I won't stop.

I met a some of you's back a few years ago at the tailgate party before a Monday night Football game, unfortunately the "Monday Night Massacre".

HTTR for life

FB_IMG_1502212367207.thumb.jpg.33917f3bc5098092079618d18b404f84.jpg

It's sort of a flawed poll... you are asking the question on a Redskins specific message board. It's early August. That means that if you are here, reading this thread, that you are making the conscious decision to spend your time discussing or reading about the Redskins 6 weeks prior to the start of the regular season. Chances are that makes you a die hard. And I'd say chances are if you are reading this and answer something OTHER than being a die hard that you are lying-- at least to yourself. 

To me it's like walking into the waiting room of the ER and taking a poll... "everyone who isn't feeling well, please raise your hand." Come to think of it, that analogy actually probably marries pretty well with the Redskins fan question...

I was stuck between, "when asked I answer Redskins," and, "my team is the Washington Redskins period."  If you had asked me 10 years ago my answer would've been one of the final two.  From 11-23 years old, all I pretty much cared about during football season was watching the Redskins.  Then gradually the team started to rip the soul out of my body.  Combine that with fantasy football and betting on games, and my fandom started to wane.  All that being said, I will be a Redskins fan for life.

It never would even occur to me to stop caring about the team, unless I stopped caring about the sport, in general.  That's kinda what happened to me with the Caps.  I stopped giving a crap about hockey, so I just passively root for the Caps to do well, but I really dont care.  But I was never a huge hockey fan to begin with.

The Skins on the other hand I cant ever see that happening, cuz I cant see myself ever losing interest in pro football.  I would probably be in the bottom 2-3 categories. 

a game ends. A team won or lost. I go on about my business and have something stupid to talk about with friends later

because I watched it. I dont waste emotion on sports entertainment anymore, like i  did in my 20s..unless they start putting me on the payroll, maybe.

Fanatical. Woke up early this morning and created a lineup in DK for tonight's game slate. One whole dollar on this lineup, for anyone that plays

QB - Matt Moore
RB - Kenyan Drake
RB - Jerick McKinnon
WR - Brandon Coleman
WR - Ryan Grant
WR - Sammy Watkins
TE - Nick Boyle
FLEX - Nelson Agholor
DST - Redskins

Moore because Cutty won't play and thinking they could audition him for a job since they don't think he should be the starter
Drake because I'm stacking Dolphins tonight and don't think they play AJayi much at all
McKinnon because I doubt they use Cook much and Murray is out. Considered Matt Jones and Mack Brown here but don't want to not play WR and Def
Coleman because I think he plays a bunch and more in sync with the backup QBs
Grant because I don't think doctson, pryor, reed or crowder plays opening Grant for volume
watkins because bills saying he's going to play a quarter and if he does they will target him
Boyle because who else can the Ravens use at TE this week?
Agholor because I want some exposure to the Eagles Packers game and hes been getting some buzz and don't know who to pick on the Packers
and the Redskins Defense because we will dominate!!

The fact I am so tuned into this makes me realize I am a fanatic lol

I've been a Skin's fan since I was about 5 years old (It didn't hurt that I turned 5 in 1982...) That said, I grew up in Massachusetts and now live in Connecticut. So unless you are unfortunately a Gnat's fan, it's pretty difficult around here to not get wrapped up with what the Patriots have done over the past 16+ years. Still, I am definitely a 'Skins fan first.

Further, over the past 5 years (coinciding with the birth of my oldest son), it feels like the NFL has outgrown itself. It very well may be that I'm at the point in life where I can no longer watch 15 hours of continuous football (provided a London game), for whatever reason. Still I feel bummed on the off-chance I miss a Redskins or Pats game. While I still do fantasy football and follow the combine, draft, and OTAs to a lesser extent, I don't make it a point to watch any other game from start to finish.

My interest kind of lies in how good they are. I love the Skins but if they're going into week 14 at 2-11, I'm not going to waste the Sunday watching them. Time is valuable, and that would be a waste in my eyes. 

They've had a fun offense to watch the last couple of years so watching them recently hasn't been a waste of time. 

On 8/7/2017 at 9:09 AM, Springfield said:

The NFL sucks.

I won't ever root for any team but the Redskins, and I will watch every game, but the whole football thing is tiring.  The fact that there is very little actual play in between what makes the league all of its money (commercials) really has me down on the sport.  It's a chore to watch these days, as the commercials are too much.  That and the team has been average to mediocre for the better part of 25 seasons really drains on you.  Especially when you know that things aren't getting any better with the current ownership.

Dan Snyder has ruined the Redskins for me.

I barely know what's going on with the team any longer.  Don't check in to The Stadium until preseason, and when I do I'm lost.  I really just stick on ES because I love The Tailgate.

My point of views as a fan of this team and the NFL in general couldn't be more similar to yours.  

Just like last year, I will not be setting aside every Sunday during the season to watch football.  50/50 at best.

On 8/6/2017 at 1:46 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

The poll options aren't good because the progression of options shows a bias as they are undoubtedly getting more desirable to the OP as they go. The wording could have been better, for a better scientific outcome here. It's clear that you think that the more of a "homer" one is, the more diehard or hardcore they are. That doesn't make sense at all. 

Me? Lifelong diehard, never see myself backing off. I know everything about the roster, the coaches, etc. I never miss a second of game or coverage, and have a zillion posts here. But also: I'm cynical, negative, easily frustrated, with low expectations due to my experience with the team over the years. It's an abusive relationship, really. It doesn't make me less of a diehard because I don't drink the koolaid like your type of fan. 

I can relate to your point.  I'm similar but with a different twist than this.  I'm a diehard, watch every game, read and watch and listen to everything I can about the team.  My wife thinks its an unhealthy addiction.  :)   I've never flirted with rooting for another team and no matter how frustrated I get I never thought of bailing.  

But I'm not one of those I back the decision makers no matter what types as if Dan or whomever is the GM/President at the time is the leader of the Redskins where I'm supposed to have their back.   My fandom preceded Dan and Bruce.  I don't feel some obligated loyalty to them.  I'm loyal to the team. 

I am optimistic about the prospects of the current team.  I am pessimistic that we are in good hands as to the current construct of the FO.  But I do think if they can get their stuff together and find a way to keep Kirk in the fold -- this team is going to be consistently good for the next 5 years plus. 

I picked the one that said "My team is the Washington Redskins, period" which is pretty much it.  I'll follow certain players on other teams that came from my favorite college, but I admit I'm not the same that I used to be.

I was a season ticket holder for several seasons and was out tailgating from dawn till late night every home game.  My favorite memory from those years is still the last game of the 2012 season, two days after my birthday, watching Alfred Morris rumble for 200 and 3 over the Cowboys.  I was in one of the end zones at field level, and it was just a great night.  The low point was the whole Sean Taylor thing.

In recent years, it has waned a bit due to life.  Had kids and gave up the tickets.  Team doesn't give you a whole lot to cheer about.  I don't miss a game, it is always on, but I'll often be folding laundry or wrestling with the kids with it on in the background, rather than agonizing over every play.  Losses don't ruin my week the way they used to.  I stopped playing fantasy football for the most port, it lost its appeal.  Just other things to do.

Will never root against the Redskins so I am a true fan of them. Some people were like "Why didn't you see the Nats game on Thursday" I was like "I got a Redskins game to be at in Baltimore, I aint' watching that stuff...or even following it. It's not on my mind." 

That being said I tilt towards the Patriots and the Ravens ain't that bad but I live like 30 minutes away from Baltimore and I've interacted with Ravens co-workers before. They are good people. 

I think i am a quiet and contemplative fan, unconcerned with my own physical beauty until it makes others uncomfortable.

Turn ons; Sexy people, long walks on the beach with that special someone, Japanese food, cute fluffy puppies and the poetry of Mortimer Goldblatz.

Turn offs: Selfish people, nipple chafing, ugly people, world hunger and classical music composed between 1567 and 1623.

Things to know: I like foreplay! Tease me and tickle me, and we'll have a better time.

~Bang

I'm a recovering addict, one who used to chug the Kool-Aid and didn't know when to put it down.  I've been sober for a few years now and have finally regained clarity.  It troubles me at times to see my former drinking buddies double fisting the Kool-Aid with reckless abandon, but it's their life to live - not mine.

I get a laugh out of folks that question the fandom of most anyone that spends as much time here as many of us do.  I was born into this and have no choice but to accept that this is the team life chose for me.  I'll always be a die-hard and root for the team on Sundays even if I don't believe in most of the guys in the suite.

Archived