Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Way to use a straw man fallacy, take the general un-denied business principle of short term cost for the sake of long term success, and then abuse it in absurdities.  So signing Decker to take the spot of your 1st round draft pick who you now wont get to see for 2 years is the same as 5th round rarely played Ryan Grant taking Garcons spot?

Thats ridiculous.  Youve managed to prove your point to yourself and make yourself look silly to everyone else.

First off, dont be an asshole. 

Second, we didn't see our 1rst round pick because he was injured.

Third, you field the best team you can. We couldn't score TDs. Decker finds the endzone more than most. Doctson would still see plenty of action. Still be on the team next year and if he proves to be better than Decker or anyone else, he'd get on the field even more. That's how it works.

Your assertion that this would be the reason we've been bad for 25 years is wildly over dramatic, wrong and far more ridiculous. Should we have not signed Pryor? That would make far more sense for your strawman. 

28 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

It was OTA's and he's basically a rookie still, the coaches are going to make him earn it. He was immature when he originally hid his injury last year, he needs to earn some trust. It won't be long before he takes those Grant snaps away. This time of year is notorious for coaches rewarding those hard working favorites with snaps in order to demonstrate to the rest of the team what they expect. 

Doctson is still learning the position, and this offense as if he was a rookie.  That is why he is often playing with the 2nd team.  Has nothing to do with his skills or ceiling.  People seem to forget not only did he not play in games last season but he barely saw the grass during OTA's, training camp and practice either.  Other than studying the playbook, he is starting fresh as if he was a rookie.

Also as far as the WR core goes.  I feel like it's a question mark. Not that the answer is necessarily good or bad, just a question mark.  With D-Jax and Garcon, we knew pretty much what to expect  D-Jax was a burner that could stretch the field, but was likely going to miss games due to injury, and sometimes disappear from games.  Garcon was me reliable and tough as nails and could still occasionally stretch the field against the right coverage.

Crowder is Crowder, all purpose WR, can be used all over the field on offense.  Get the ball in his hands and he makes things happen.

Pryor and Doctson are question marks at this point.  The wise bet is that the overall numbers/stats of the passing game will go down or at least get off to a slower start for the month of September, however Pryor and Doctson both bring elements to the passing game that we didn't have in 2015/2016, mainly being bigger targets for the redzone, and the ability to make catches up over defenders.   So while the production could be down in the passing game, the improvements could come where the offense needs it and where it was missing the most in previous seasons when Cousins was the starting QB.

If he is 2nd team now, why was he playing in the first quarter of our first game last year?  On for red zone snaps in his first month.

I dunno, but if he had learned enough a year ago to warrant those snaps, what happened?  He had barely practiced, yet clearly had trust.

I too don't like the 2nd team look much. Maybe it's more about Crowder.

Hopefully.

Just to chip in the 5th/6th receiver spots question.

Lets assume Pryor, Crowder and Doctson are locks. Then that Harris has the inside track on the 4th receiver spot. We likely keep 6 receivers.

the decision on the 6th receiver will be about a young guy who we want to develop but who we probably don't expect to be active very much - we normally dress 4 receivers and sometimes a 5th but that 5th is there for special teams/return ability. That 5th reciever is likely to be Grant because of his special teams ability as a blocker and kick cover guy.

As for who backs up Crowder in the slot. If he gets injured that would be Reed and move Davis into the TE spot. Reed is already essentially a slot receiver.

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Just to chip in the 5th/6th receiver spots question.

Lets assume Pryor, Crowder and Doctson are locks. Then that Harris has the inside track on the 4th receiver spot. We likely keep 6 receivers.

the decision on the 6th receiver will be about a young guy who we want to develop but who we probably don't expect to be active very much - we normally dress 4 receivers and sometimes a 5th but that 5th is there for special teams/return ability. That 5th reciever is likely to be Grant because of his special teams ability as a blocker and kick cover guy.

As for who backs up Crowder in the slot. If he gets injured that would be Reed and move Davis into the TE spot. Reed is already essentially a slot receiver.

Honestly I agree that Reed is essentially a receiver but I would put him at #2.  

1 hour ago, Cliffmark1 said:

Honestly I agree that Reed is essentially a receiver but I would put him at #2.  

He can do it but you're wasting a lot of Reeds advantage on the field if you put him out wide too often. It can get you a look or a matchup you like once in a while but you wouldn't want him to be the backup there even if his replacement at TE is fine.

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Still weird to me how Crowder seemingly disappeared the last quarter or so of the season. Last third of the season? Idk, it felt like a long time. 

Teams took him very seriously. They were more scared of him than Djax and Garcon combined, also Kirk was forcing balls to covered recievers while he ran open. It was weird.

Feeling pretty okay.

We've added a lot of height, at the cost of that "take the top off the defense" speed Jackson had (and Garcon's vet saavy).  It'll be an interesting experiment, but so long as everyone stays healthy I don't foresee a huge drop off.  Pryor will be a good threat, Doctson will be rough but hopefully will learn quick and stay healthy.  Crowder and Reed gonna keep being great threats.  Hopefully some combination in the running game can get going and take some pressure off the passing game too.

On 6/24/2017 at 3:15 AM, Koolblue13 said:

First off, dont be an asshole. 

Second, we didn't see our 1rst round pick because he was injured.

Third, you field the best team you can. We couldn't score TDs. Decker finds the endzone more than most. Doctson would still see plenty of action. Still be on the team next year and if he proves to be better than Decker or anyone else, he'd get on the field even more. That's how it works.

Your assertion that this would be the reason we've been bad for 25 years is wildly over dramatic, wrong and far more ridiculous. Should we have not signed Pryor? That would make far more sense for your strawman. 

So despite being smart enough to know better, you deceitfully try to twist an argument, and when it gets questioned on actual merits you resort to personal attacks? Great.  

Second, yes thats the whole point, because he lost one year with injury, you now make him lose 2 years by being behind someone else, and have a repeat of the Cousins situation.  

Third, no, you absolutely do not just field the best term without regards to your franchises future.  Thats insane.  Thats like Amazon deciding to do whatever it takes to field the most profitable quarter, rather than what is going to be the best for their growth for the next 3, 5, and 10 years.  Amazon had bad quarters for many years in order to set themselves up for future success.  Its what any good business owner and manager does, and its not a new idea.  Look at Tesla.  The Patriots.  Most sports teams that tanked for better picks the next year.  Mortgaging your future seasons to put out an 8-8 team instead of a 5-11 team with much better picks would be crazy.  Every $5 million we spend this year we cant roll over into next years cap.

I don't really have a strong feeling about Grant one way or another.   But I missed these comments initially so tagging it with Jay's comments, I think the dude will make the team.   One reporter (maybe its Finlay but I am forgetting) seems to think Harris is a lock that Jay loves him, too.   If so?  Doctson, Pryor, Crowder, Grant, Harris.  Quinn on the outs?   Davis on practice squad.  I don't see them taking 6 receivers considering they likely take 4 TEs.

http://www.richmond.com/redskins-xtra/redskins-wide-receivers-coach-sees-big-potential-in-retooled-unit/article_2c9a5174-c711-5ada-bdfc-e7509e6ea56b.html

“I’m a Ryan Grant fan,” Hilliard said after the team’s minicamp in June. “He’s always been our best pure route runner out of every guy we’ve had, even with Pierre and D-Jax here. He’s been a consummate pro. He says nothing and works all the time.

“He’s gotten a bad rap for some situations that weren’t all completely his fault, and the world will never know that. We’ve always kept that in house.”

Grant has served as a punching bag for fans after missing key catches in limited game action. He was the targeted receiver on an overtime interception in Atlanta during the 2015 season, but the pass from quarterback Kirk Cousins was errant.

He said earlier this offseason he’s worked to put on weight and improve his route running as he approaches a potentially increased role.

“We’ve won games with him as a starter,” Hilliard said of skepticism about Grant. “He didn’t have a lot of targets, but he did do his job pretty well when he was out there.”

On 6/29/2017 at 10:12 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

Still weird to me how Crowder seemingly disappeared the last quarter or so of the season. Last third of the season? Idk, it felt like a long time. 

I noticed that as well. I seem to recall DJax andor Garcon complaining about a lack of targets. I think it is common for an OC to feed the guy speaking out  deliberately in subsequent weeks - if only early in games. Or, maybe he was nursing a little injury which eased his workload. I think that there are countless unreported injuries that impact a players game. What gets reported is only that which could force them out of a game. Bellichek, aside.

One thing, is that WRs can get game planned for, or OCs are forced to go to other options. If you play fantasy, you know even the best WRs have dud weeks.  A run of facing good corners can also be in play. Some DBs just match up well against others, even if they aren't top rated. We have seen Trent give up sacks to no name guys more than the studs, some years.

On 6/30/2017 at 1:44 AM, XxSpearheadxX said:

Teams took him very seriously. They were more scared of him than Djax and Garcon combined, also Kirk was forcing balls to covered recievers while he ran open. It was weird.

I saw this too.  I recall several times when the telecast showed the "All 22" replays, Crowder would routinely be open.  Routinely.  And Kirk never looked his way.  In fact, I remember watching him go ham on the sidelines in frustration (I think it was the Giants game).  And sure enough, those replays show him striding downfield WIDE OPEN.  I'm excited to see him become more of a focal point in The Offense this year.  He is definitely ready.

On 7/9/2017 at 8:01 AM, RandyHolt said:

I noticed that as well. I seem to recall DJax andor Garcon complaining about a lack of targets. I think it is common for an OC to feed the guy speaking out  deliberately in subsequent weeks - if only early in games. Or, maybe he was nursing a little injury which eased his workload. I think that there are countless unreported injuries that impact a players game. What gets reported is only that which could force them out of a game. Bellichek, aside.

One thing, is that WRs can get game planned for, or OCs are forced to go to other options. If you play fantasy, you know even the best WRs have dud weeks.  A run of facing good corners can also be in play. Some DBs just match up well against others, even if they aren't top rated. We have seen Trent give up sacks to no name guys more than the studs, some years.

This is me speculating wildly here, but I got the sense that the Veteran Receivers were clamoring for the ball during The Playoff Run & Kirk was making a point to feed them.  Jamison Crowder, being a young guy, had no business overruling the likes of Jackson & Garcon.  But he sure was open more than they were.  Like @XxSpearheadxX noted, it surprised me how often this was the case.

If Jamison Crowder is kept in the slot all Season, I think he can have a Pro Bowl Year.  The dude is a MONSTER that doesn't get the League-wide recognition he deserves....yet.

----------------------------------------------------

As for the OP's question, it's pretty elementary.  If Jordan Reed stays healthy, the corps will be damn good.  Up there with the League's best.  But if he gets shelved for any significant amount of time, then there could be some struggles.  

In that scenario, the lack of a Veteran security blanket for Cousins could hurt.  But again, I'm really high in Crowder.  He could possibly step up as a go-to guy, although that is certainly an open question.

2 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

In that scenario, the lack of a Veteran security blanket for Cousins could hurt.  But again, I'm really high in Crowder.  He could possibly step up as a go-to guy, although that is certainly an open question.

Jamison Crowder is so good. I'm excited. 

I have a feeling Garcon and Djax were annoying as **** last year and since it was a dud season anyway, he force fed them to shut um the **** up.

If Kirk can get his timing down with Pryor,  they're gonna blow the doors off some teams and Jamo should be able to abuse the underneath routes with Reed.

7 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Jamison Crowder is so good. I'm excited. 

Me too.  We should be just fine with him as a top option this year.

55 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I have a feeling Garcon and Djax were annoying as **** last year and since it was a dud season anyway, he force fed them to shut um the **** up.

If Kirk can get his timing down with Pryor,  they're gonna blow the doors off some teams and Jamo should be able to abuse the underneath routes with Reed.

Agreed.  Although I am curious to know if Crowder will be used as a deep option as well.

1 hour ago, Diehard Otis said:

Me too.  We should be just fine with him as a top option this year.

Agreed.  Although I am curious to know if Crowder will be used as a deep option as well.

Hes quick, not fast. Hes bad ass short and middle,  but hes not winning every foot race. 

Pryor is a Randy Moss clone. Deceptive long striding deep speed. He just happens to be enormous. 

Archived