Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Im assuming Pryor balls the **** out and gets an incredible amount of money. I would have gone all in on him at a discount this year, instead of hedging my bet. Brown too.

I would have also on both counts, but we will be able to afford him

• Second year WR Josh Doctson has returned to Redskins team drills this week.
  •  
  • Doctson only played 31 snaps last season due to injury.
  •  
  • However in 2015, Doctson had an overall grade of 92.0, and his WR rating of 149.2 was second in the country among qualified wide receivers.
  •  
  • Docston also had the third best catch rate on deep passes in 2015 at 53.1, and his 4.08 yards per route run was tied for the best in the country.
  •  
  • Docston excelled on post routes in 2015, as his QB rating when targeted was 156.3, which was 51.5 points above the NCAA average. Last season, his current QB Kirk Cousins had a QB rating of 118.8 on post routes, which was 16.4 points above the NFL average.
  •  
  • Doctson also made PFFÂ’s list of potential breakout receivers for 2017
  •  

doctson-updated.png

So... Keim seems pretty damn sure that Crowder will be starting in 2 WR sets this season.  

Crowder will start, playing on the outside in two-receiver sets and inside when they add a third. He’ll also return punts. Redskins coach Jay Gruden joked that Crowder “can play running back if he wanted to.” Gruden likes that Crowder, despite being only 5-foot-9, 177 pounds, is a willing blocker. Jackson, safe to say, was not.

Yeah, I've been expecting Crowder to start on the outside and then move inside in 3 receiver sets.  I just don't think Doctson is quite ready to take that role.  Not that he wouldn't be fine as a number 2, but that he has Crowder and possibly even Grant ahead of him.  I expect him to get a bunch of snaps regardless, but they (coaches and peers) are going to make him earn them.  

On the face of it, it seems like bad news that a 1st round receiver isn't starting in his 2nd year (if I'm right), but it's really/also a testament to the talent we have.  

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

On the face of it, it seems like bad news that a 1st round receiver isn't starting in his 2nd year (if I'm right), but it's really/also a testament to the talent we have.  

I agree 100%.

Crowder would be a 2nd rounder possibly late first rounder if people knew his game would translate to the NFL as well as it has, he is balling out and I don't think he's going to stop. Pryor is a freak of nature in the top 1% of size/speed/strength for NFL WR, raw yes - but also put up vert strong numbers last year.  If either one of them wasn't on the team and Doctson wasn't projected to start then I would worry.

2 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I agree 100%.

Crowder would be a 2nd rounder possibly late first rounder if people knew his game would translate to the NFL as well as it has, he is balling out and I don't think he's going to stop. Pryor is a freak of nature in the top 1% of size/speed/strength for NFL WR, raw yes - but also put up vert strong numbers last year.  If either one of them wasn't on the team and Doctson wasn't projected to start then I would worry.

Agreed.  I'll add that I left off Quick - not for any good reason, mostly because I just don't have a handle on him yet.  He could be playing on the outside in 3 receiver sets, or he could be cut due to some combo Grant/Harris/Davis (and Pryor/Crowder/Doctson of course).  

He's kind of like Roberts before we signed Jackson (Quick signed before Pryor, right?), but Quick has more young talent in that number 3-6 receiver range than Roberts had...

Crowder may be an energetic and willing blocker and ready for a bigger role, but I kinda like him in the role he has been in.  If it ain't broke thing. 

I would rather hear our unproven guy is firming up a starting role and that we plan a lot of 3 wide. Why did Josh miss time recently, anyway?  I wonder if the timing of this Keim blurb is not a coincidence.

This throws a curve ball in my fantasy aspirations.

14 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Crowder may be an energetic and willing blocker and ready for a bigger role, but I kinda like him in the role he has been in.  If it ain't broke thing. 

I would rather hear our unproven guy is firming up a starting role and that we plan a lot of 3 wide. Why did Josh miss time recently, anyway?  I wonder if the timing of this Keim blurb is not a coincidence.

Yeah, I agree.  Why change Crowder's role when he was killing it in the slot?  I have a feeling that the receiver who fills Crowder's shoes is going to get targeted a lot.

I just want this season to start already because I want to see how it's all going to pan out.

43 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Do you play fantasy for money?  I'm not really knocking it, but it takes the fun out of football for me. 

Entertainment purposes, not unlike being a sports fan.

Have we seen often the leagues top slot guys, moving outside? I cannot recall any, but we have had our fair share of small WRs over the years. Maybe Santana or Coles spent time in the slot.

11 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Do you play fantasy for money?  I'm not really knocking it, but it takes the fun out of football for me. 

Really? Outside of Redskins games, having a fantasy rooting interest is just about the only thing that makes today's NFL watchable. Horrible product, but luckily for the NFL I and others like me have FF leagues. For me its dynasty so it's year-round. 

40 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

Yeah, I agree.  Why change Crowder's role when he was killing it in the slot?  I have a feeling that the receiver who fills Crowder's shoes is going to get targeted a lot.

I just want this season to start already because I want to see how it's all going to pan out.

Well, part of me says that as long as he's playing in the slot in 3 receiver sets, than this can only be a good thing (since presumably he will only play outside because he's beaten out the competition).  With that said, you're probably significantly increasing his snap count in this scenario which could become problematic in terms of injury.    

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Think about if the Steelers had limited Antonio Brown to the slot after his first couple years just because they allowed themselves to feel comfortable with the "if it ain't broke" way of thinking.

36 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Think about if the Steelers had limited Antonio Brown to the slot after his first couple years just because they allowed themselves to feel comfortable with the "if it ain't broke" way of thinking.

Did he struggle in the slot?  I wonder if Pitt had lame ducks at 1 and 2 and they needed help - like us if Doc is not ready.  Regardless, Brown IS elite, and being heavier he may be better suited to outside than Crowder. I cannot recall a starting wideout under 175 pounds.   It seems like most of the leagues premier waterbugs are kept in the slot, and still easily log 10 catches a game if called upon. 

Like I said I would rather our top pick didn't miss time in OTAs, and instead hear he was securing a starting spot. Crowder is still the exact same player with or without Doctson. Doc getting snaps keeps him fresh and may even be a better blocker.  Coaches have to watch out for players, and use them wisely.

39 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Did he struggle in the slot?  I wonder if Pitt had lame ducks at 1 and 2 and they needed help - like us if Doc is not ready.  Regardless, Brown IS elite, and being heavier he may be better suited to outside than Crowder. I cannot recall a starting wideout under 175 pounds.   It seems like most of the leagues premier waterbugs are kept in the slot, and still easily log 10 catches a game if called upon. 

Like I said I would rather our top pick didn't miss time in OTAs, and instead hear he was securing a starting spot. Crowder is still the exact same player with or without Doctson. Doc getting snaps keeps him fresh and may even be a better blocker.  Coaches have to watch out for players, and use them wisely.

Brown was the 5th WR on the depth chart his rookie year, then the 3rd WR on the depth chart his sophomore season - behind Hines Ward and Mike Wallace.  His 3rd year, he was competing against Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders for the starting role, and was eventually named the starter over Sanders.  So yea, he's had good competition at WR on his team throughout his career.

Where are you getting the weight for Crowder?  He weighed 185 pounds at his combine, which is similar to Brown, who weighed 186.  I would think Crowder has only put on more weight since coming into the league and entering a professional strength training program.

I would rather the best two WRs start.  If that's Crowder and Pryor, then so be it.  I'd actually be excited to see what Crowder can turn into on the outside.  If he proves he has no problem producing in a starting role, and breaks out in a similar way to Brown, then that would give us significant leverage in contract negotiations with Pryor next offseason; we wouldn't feel forced to resign Pryor if his asking price gets too high.

EDIT:  I see that Keim has the weight at 177.  Not sure where he is getting those numbers, but they're probably wrong.  He has Crowder listed at 5'9" as well, but Crowder came in at 5 foot 8 & 1/4 inches at the combine.  I doubt Crowder grew 3/4s of an inch over the past 2 years just as much as I doubt he suddenly lost 8 pounds.

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Brown was the 5th WR on the depth chart his rookie year, then the 3rd WR on the depth chart his sophomore season - behind Hines Ward and Mike Wallace.  His 3rd year, he was competing against Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders for the starting role, and was eventually named the starter over Sanders.  So yea, he's had good competition at WR on his team throughout his career.

Where are you getting the weight for Crowder?  ..

Good post.

Weights certainly fluctuate wildly, and listed weights on various sites do not update.  I got my number here... player profile far right search result

Keim probably got his weight from redskins.com which has him at 177 and all kinds of other funky weights listed maybe typos. No way is Crowder a lb less than 187 and no way is Su'a cravens clocking in at 244 at OTAS. Both of those are their listed weights

It is speculation to say any player is not a pound less than X. Everyone's weight fluctuates, and athletes likely more than us keyboard warriors factoring sweat etc.

Listed weights should be date stamped, or weights could be charted.  *Note: weights will only be updated once per year at the start of camp. One of my favorite hockey players was listed at 183 after being drafted. A few years later, his weight was listed as 210.  No one ever said anything, except me of course. Trying to find a website that even lists that original weight is near impossible, and it is definitely impossible to find any that list his weight anywhere in between.

Back on topic - the receiving crop... if Doc and Harris continue to progress as we all hope, Sr, Crowder and Quick all meet reasonable expectations, this year will be a bumper crop.

13 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

You better be taking Cousins or Reed and not one of our WRs and RBs.  That offense is really going to spread it out now, not to mention this backfield has RBBC written all over it.

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You better be taking Cousins or Reed and not one of our WRs and RBs.  That offense is really going to spread it out now, not to mention this backfield has RBBC written all over it.

Had 'em both 2 years ago in my season long league... I dominated. 

RBBC is almost becoming the norm for all but the top tier of backs.  A curveball in my PPR is that Thompson gets a ton of love from Gruden, and may out perform our big 2 backs points wise factoring receptions and the almost inevitable RBBC in any given week. CT may beat them both in total points for the year unless one becomes a touchdown machine. Plus, it seems like it is easier for teams to stop our run, vs our pass. Perine and Kelley are great but our run blocking seems like it has sucked for a while now.

Here's what I think will happen. Kelley too has been getting a ton of love from Gruden, and should be able to easily retain the starting job since he won't even play much before week 1. Kelley totes the mail for the first month. Perine patiently waits on the sideline, helmet on ready to go in. He slowly gets more and more involved once Jay trusts him in pass pro etc. I think it is dumb for coaches to expect backs to carry the full workload all year, and it's why we drafted Perine.  So, by mid October,  the committee is formed. Fantasy owners like myself that will try to horde both backs, will be flipping a coin who to start the remainder of the year.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Conspiracy theory time:

I'm probably alone in this, but I think Garcon and Jackson were both in Cousins' ear towards the end of the year about upping their stats before the season was over and free agency hit.  I'm sure both were desperate to hit 1,000 yards and ensure they got paid this offseason.  And Kirk, being the nice guy that he is, was willing to help them build up their stats, sometimes at the cost of hitting a more open WR.  It's really the only legitimate explanation I have for him treating Crowder like he had the plague towards the end of the season, and missing him wide open for TDs a few times, when they were connecting so well at the beginning and middle of the season.

I say all that to say, I think something similar may happen with Pryor this season.  And he has the potential to be more dangerous than either Garcon or Jackson ever were.  I will definitely be buying plenty shares of him in my fantasy leagues.

29 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I say all that to say, I think something similar may happen with Pryor this season.  And he has the potential to be more dangerous than either Garcon or Jackson ever were.  I will definitely be buying plenty shares of him in my fantasy leagues.

I think it has more to do with Cousins allowing himself to get trapped into the play called versus what he thinks makes the most since (ala all those GD fade routes).  I'm hoping Gruden gives him more autonomy in regards to audibles and thinking less about the design of the play and more on making the play.  I keep looking how hesitant he was to run for first downs, he was too focused on the system versus just playing football.

Archived