Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

5 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

touche' KB..touche'...you're right...I looked it up...who'da thunk it????...so, you win this round...but...

I was right? Ive never actually read them. :D

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Speaking of rookie WRs did anyone catch a report on how Robert Davis looked?

Great question. Thats actually my late round draft crush sleeper.

13 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah mine too.  They need to find a way to stash him as he will take time to develop but what potential he has.

He has those Matt Jones measurables. I just hope he has a high drive to succeed. Doubt we can PS him. 

Pryor, Crowder, Doctson 100% locks.

Grant, Harris 90% locks

That leaves Quick, who could potentially be a solid #2 and Davis.

We're not keeping 7.

Someone could end up on IR.

45 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He has those Matt Jones measurables. I just hope he has a high drive to succeed. Doubt we can PS him. 

Grant, Harris 90% locks

We're not keeping 7.

I don't concur with this. 

I think the only locks right at the moment are Pryor and Crowder,-Doctson will make the roster but if he gets hurt or shows an inability to stay on the field he might go IR this year. I think they know they made a mistake last year managing him. Harris from all reports I have read, is a lock at number 3, or 4 IDK. The coaches glow when they speak about him. How the rest of the 6 fall out, anyone's guess. 

40 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

I think the only locks right at the moment are Pryor and Crowder,-Doctson will make the roster but if he gets hurt or shows an inability to stay on the field he might go IR this year. I think they know they made a mistake last year managing him. Harris from all reports I have read, is a lock at number 3, or 4 IDK. The coaches glow when they speak about him. How the rest of the 6 fall out, anyone's guess. 

Yeah, Ive seen the tweet. I'm excited for Harris to be a possible contributer.

Doctson is anyones guess about where he ends up, but he will be on the roster (even if on IR).

Grant is definitely making the roster.

Thats 5. How many are we going to carry? 

Quick is the only #2 we currently have, pending Doctsons health, Harris and Grants growth.

Thats 6.

Where does Davis go?

I naturally do not see Grant as a lock. I think some predicting him are doing so as I used to do with Kedric. No real reason other than he just keeps hanging around. Nobody can outwork em in practice. 

But we are seeing a big change in direction at WR. And that direction is skyward. Who likes height now? Grant seems the odd man out if height is a factor in roster shaping. For all the love we know Jay has for Grant, he also loves him some other WRs. Grant's development seems to have plateaued, if not even regressed just a bit. He falls when his number is called. Run blocking never impressed me. Better than DJax doesn't mean much.

The only locks are Pryor Doctson and Crowder. I predict Quick will serve as the big 2's primary backup.  I just don't think anyone else is ready to be a starter, and dare I think Jay wants a tall backup should they be pressed into duty, which keeps the playbook the same. He is a 90% lock assuming he meets reasonable expectations.

I thought I read that Harris can work out of the slot but of course now cannot find it. Does Grant, and did either play teams last year? That's what the final cut may come down to, and Harris being bigger has an edge IMO based on the clear move towards big bodies. Or, do we need to roll 5 at WR, to keep an extra OL or TE, as injury insurance. Harris sure seems up and coming, and looked better on game days to me last year.

Game Day Actives Pryor Doctson Crowder Quick and Harris

Inactive - Grant whose best role may be as a slot backup.

PS:  the big Davis kid. More bigly.

2 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

Kind of curious where you are going here.

First, how did they make a mistake managing Doctson? He got hurt - he was cleared - they tried to get him some work and let him play through it - it did not work out so they put him on IR. Seems pretty logical to me. I think people get really confused with things that do not work out vs. actual mistakes.

Next - not sure what you are disagreeing with. Being on IR is being on the team. Doctson is an absolute lock to be a Redskin. If he gets injured or reinjured he still makes IR. The rest it appears you basically agreed except maybe Grant - who BTW keeps his roster spot because he is a great STs player and that's typically what decides who makes the team deep on the depth chart.

Just not sure where you are going with this.  

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Grant, Harris 90% locks

We're not keeping 7.

I would put Quick ahead of Grant. As I said I don't get the love for Grant.  He has an awful lot of bad play in limited action. And he's been here for years and never really improved all that much.   Agree on Harris and the number they keep.  Maybe Davis will develop a strange blood disorder. 

I just found the link re: Harris in the slot

Maurice Harris: He did a nice job at the end of last season, after being promoted from the practice squad. He offers good size (though with Pryor and Doctson, that's not as needed as it was last season). Harris can run routes from the slot as well as on the outside.

@Koolblue13 thanks - I am curious if Harris played teams in the few games he played.

EDIT - I just found this quote from Mo LAST year

While the Greensboro, N.C., native’s receiving skills are still developing, he believes he can be an instant contributor in at least one area.  “Special teams,” Harris said of where he wants to impress. “Just trying to find my way on special teams, because like you said, there’s a lot of receivers working hard and trying to find my way on the team.”

Minirant- I wish there was a website that tracked all snap data. There are only 16 games with few stats; compared to the awesome stat logging in hockey, or baseball, with far far more games. Look at Trent's stats, for instance - there is nothing there, not even sacks allowed. Forget about snap counts, or sacks per pass plays types of things. Penalties - yeah no.

47 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I would put Quick ahead of Grant. As I said I don't get the love for Grant.  He has an awful lot of bad play in limited action. And he's been here for years and never really improved all that much.   Agree on Harris and the number they keep.  Maybe Davis will develop a strange blood disorder. 

The coaches like Grant - not sure the fans do. So any "love" for Grant is coming from the coaches - especially Jay Gruden being very high on Grant.

32 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I just found the link re: Harris in the slot

@Koolblue13 thanks - I am curious if Harris played teams in the few games he played.

EDIT - I just found this quote from Mo LAST year

Minirant- I wish there was a website that tracked all snap data. There are only 16 games with few stats; compared to the awesome stat logging in hockey, or baseball, with far far more games. Look at Trent's stats, for instance - there is nothing there, not even sacks allowed. Forget about snap counts, or sacks per pass plays types of things. Penalties - yeah no.

You can get snap data from PFF. Here is an example - I included Trent Williams.

Snaps.JPG

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The coaches like Grant - not sure the fans do. So any "love" for Grant is coming from the coaches - especially Jay Gruden being very high on Grant.

Yeah both coaching staffs seem to really like Grant and I'll never get it.  Some fans seem to like him too but obviously the coach's opinion is the only one that matters.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, Ive seen the tweet. I'm excited for Harris to be a possible contributer.

Doctson is anyones guess about where he ends up, but he will be on the roster (even if on IR).

Grant is definitely making the roster.

Thats 5. How many are we going to carry? 

Quick is the only #2 we currently have, pending Doctsons health, Harris and Grants growth.

Thats 6.

Where does Davis go?

I think Davis beats out Grant, but that is just my guess or wishful thinking at this point. As I said, Best Man wins....benefits the team, really no love lost on any....Davis could end up on PS....hope he doesn't show too much in PS then.mhahhaa... That said I think 5 is the number. Quick? not sure, sure seems nice to have some tough decisions ahead though. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Kind of curious where you are going here.

First, how did they make a mistake managing Doctson? He got hurt - he was cleared - they tried to get him some work and let him play through it - it did not work out so they put him on IR. Seems pretty logical to me. I think people get really confused with things that do not work out vs. actual mistakes.

Next - not sure what you are disagreeing with. Being on IR is being on the team. Doctson is an absolute lock to be a Redskin. If he gets injured or reinjured he still makes IR. The rest it appears you basically agreed except maybe Grant - who BTW keeps his roster spot because he is a great STs player and that's typically what decides who makes the team deep on the depth chart.

Just not sure where you are going with this.  

Just expressing an opinion really........

My point about Doc is he needs to prove healthy to be considered a lock for the active roster.....I think based on reports he will be. I think last year they wished they IR'd him early. 

If Grant wins the job based on ST's that signifies lack of a developmental guy such as Harris or Roberts, Quick..??? He hasn't made the jump thus far-Grant....If someone else excels on Teams and has more potential,,, win-win. 

26 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

You can get snap data from PFF. Here is an example - I included Trent Williams.

Thanks! I assume I would need to pay.  That is awesome regardless

What I am hoping for special teams snaps on Harris - think they may have it? 

Total special teams plays by team, and then total by player.  e.g. 6 kickoffs, and log all the personnel. 7 punts - log it, 2 FGs for, 8XP against, 5 Punt Return. etc. Delve into it fully.  So we can see a players total usage in every facet of the game. e.g. Harris only played on KO returns, while Grant is on for every special team unit except for XPs.

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Thanks! I assume I would need to pay.  That is awesome regardless

What I am hoping for special teams snaps on Harris - think they may have it? 

Total special teams plays by team, and then total by player.  e.g. 6 kickoffs, and log all the personnel. 7 punts - log it, 2 FGs for, 8XP against, 5 Punt Return. etc. Delve into it fully.  So we can see a players total usage in every facet of the game. e.g. Harris only played on KO returns, while Grant is on for every special team unit except for XPs.

It's $19.95 a year for the data I showed above. For me it's worth it.

On 5/27/2017 at 9:57 PM, XxSpearheadxX said:

You know I've heard this on the board a few months ago but out of 77 targets he's only had one drop http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=25743

Not that I'm looking for quick to be the savior but when the stats are that far off from a claim I have to wonder if sour grapes are involved.

So you think they just made the drops problem up?  Maybe a bit of homerism here.  This drops site records 7 drops over his career. https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2011/

Maybe not as significant, but a lot of the concern stemmed from preseason/practices as well, which further limited confidence in Quick with the Rams.  Also McVay specifically went after sure-handed receivers in FA/draft for a reason.

Still hope he lights it up when he gets the chance. 

2 hours ago, RedskinsInFebruary said:

So you think they just made the drops problem up?  Maybe a bit of homerism here.  This drops site records 7 drops over his career. https://www.sportingchartsIcom/nfl/stats/drops/2011/

Maybe not as significant, but a lot of the concern stemmed from preseason/practices as well, which further limited confidence in Quick with the Rams.  Also McVay specifically went after sure-handed receivers in FA/draft for a reason.

Still hope he lights it up when he gets the chance. 

I think he was drafted and heralded as the next Terrell Owens and never lived up to that. It soured a lot of people on him or rather soured them on the fact that he was MASSIVELY over drafted. I think he fits just fine as a WR here because I don't expect much out of him. Just fall down less than Ryan Grant and block well and I'd be happy

Archived