Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

I noticed in the recent quote thread from Gruden and Cava, the word quick was mentioned 3 times.

But none of which pertained to Brian Quick. I was surprised he didn't get a mention at all.

Edit: When I say surprised, I meant kind of bummed.

Was just watching some random skins highlights and gotta say..(never thought I'd say this 7 years ago right?...)...I'm gonna miss Desean Jackson.  

Still think it's the right thing to move on from him and garcon, still excited about Doc and Pryor and Crowder and Reed, I mean come on, of course we should all feel good about the receiving corp

just wanted to throw out a "thanks for the kickass plays" to Jackson, 'cause he made plays like no one else.  Just blazing past everyone else on the field.  

As excited as we should be for the current group, you have to wonder how crucial that sort of deep threat was to the success of the offense.  But I think things will not only be just fine without the crazy deep threat, but possibly better.  There's still very fast guys on the team and Cousins can still get the ball to them...then we have the best route running TE in the game, more height and 'box out rebound catch' ability in our new guys, Crowder is rising, and the 3rd down back is capable of anything in the 3rd down playbook.  What's not to love?

Love our receiving corp.  Enjoy your Dez flexing and OBJ flashy catches (****, Reed has had better catches ;) ) the Redskins have a little bit of everything.  I think Kirk and Jay are feeling it, in high gear, and ready to have their way with opponents in the passing game.  But football still has running I guess lol...so lets figure that out a bit and this truly becomes a very very dangerous offense.

11 hours ago, Dirt said:

Was just watching some random skins highlights and gotta say..(never thought I'd say this 7 years ago right?...)...I'm gonna miss Desean Jackson.  

Still think it's the right thing to move on from him and garcon, still excited about Doc and Pryor and Crowder and Reed, I mean come on, of course we should all feel good about the receiving corp

just wanted to throw out a "thanks for the kickass plays" to Jackson, 'cause he made plays like no one else.  Just blazing past everyone else on the field.  

As excited as we should be for the current group, you have to wonder how crucial that sort of deep threat was to the success of the offense.  But I think things will not only be just fine without the crazy deep threat, but possibly better.  There's still very fast guys on the team and Cousins can still get the ball to them...then we have the best route running TE in the game, more height and 'box out rebound catch' ability in our new guys, Crowder is rising, and the 3rd down back is capable of anything in the 3rd down playbook.  What's not to love?

Love our receiving corp.  Enjoy your Dez flexing and OBJ flashy catches (****, Reed has had better catches ;) ) the Redskins have a little bit of everything.  I think Kirk and Jay are feeling it, in high gear, and ready to have their way with opponents in the passing game.  But football still has running I guess lol...so lets figure that out a bit and this truly becomes a very very dangerous offense.

I literally just got finished watching a Desean Jackson highlight reel.  He made some amazing plays and displayed excellent hands.  I said "wow" out loud a couple times.  I forgot how good he was.  I wish him the best....but I hope Pryor comes in and does even better.

Speaking of Reed......

“That’s a good question,” he said. “I think I’m still learning what they can and can’t do. Jordan hasn’t been here and he’s obviously a big part of what we do offensively. Once Jordan gets back here next week, we’ll start to implement him more in the game plan.”

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/redskins-gruden-anxious-see-how-jordan-reed-fits-revamped-receiving-group

Also of note in regard to WR corp.,..........Bubble......

Wide receiver/tight end: WRÂ’s Maurice Harris, Ryan Grant, Robert Davis, and Brian Quick, TEÂ’s Jeremy Sprinkle, Niles Paul, and Derek Carrier

We have the two extremes of the bubble here. Harris is nearly a lock but he must fight off two of the other three to ensure his spot. On the other end is Carrier, who is caught up in a numbers game with Sprinkle and Paul, tight ends who are0 much better bets to end up on the 53 behind Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/players-redskins-roster-bubble-offensive-edition

That deep spot becomes shallow real Quick if our current plans fall through.  Josh has not started a game. Pryor is a 2nd year WR and likely still a bit raw. Harris IS raw. Don't laugh, but Grant (edit + Crowder duh) may be the only guy Cousins can trust right now to get to his spot.

Jordan Reed is not a WR. A search for Brian Quick on Twitter shows he is with the Rams, and the lead tweet is about the big mama and the NBA draft.

Absolutely lets kick tires on Decker. It's a passing league now.

I don't want to trade for his current contract even for a 7th, but as a FA for a reasonable price I'd bring him in if healthy, he's incredibly underrated (again, if healthy) and one of the leagues best possession/RZ WRs. The dude just catches TDs, it's amazing. He'd become a fan favorite really quickly. I'd rather have the problem of fitting all our WRs on the field than ending up thin after injuries. 

Doubt he goes somewhere with so much competition though.

18 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

That deep spot becomes shallow real Quick if our current plans fall through.  Josh has not started a game. Pryor is a 2nd year WR and likely still a bit raw. Harris IS raw. Don't laugh, but Grant (edit + Crowder duh) may be the only guy Cousins can trust right now to get to his spot.

yeah.. no.

That guy can't walk to the water cooler without tripping over his own feet, much less run routes to the correct spot without mysteriously falling down.

Is it too much to ask for a WR that can manage to stay on his feet? NOBODY can displace this guy?? it's been what, 4 years now?

Watched a few YouTube vids on Crowder TP from last year and noticed how much more swagger they had as the season went on. That swagger is confidence and all great wideouts have that swagger so interested to see how much Doctson develops it?

11 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

No way we should sign Decker! Jets have no cap issue and if I recall Decker had a manageable contract. Why would the Jets after losing Marshall cut their best wideout? He's damaged goods. 

He has a $7+ mil salary this year and the Jets are purging their roster. He missed all but a couple games last year and had 2 surgeries.

Previously, hes only missed 4 games in 6 years and is a TD machine. Hes had double digit TD totals in half of those 6 years.

After not being able to find the redzone last year, adding another good blocking WR, whos 6' 3" and has a habit of getting points just makes a lot of sense.

On 6/8/2017 at 10:33 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Brown was the 5th WR on the depth chart his rookie year, then the 3rd WR on the depth chart his sophomore season - behind Hines Ward and Mike Wallace.  His 3rd year, he was competing against Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders for the starting role, and was eventually named the starter over Sanders.  So yea, he's had good competition at WR on his team throughout his career.

Not that this is news but reading this paragraph really hits home just how good the Steelers are at drafting wide receivers.

This team is full of possession receivers, top notch TEs and Crowder. I am excited about this WR corps. Noone talks about my man Maurice Harris who reminds me much like Chris Henry (RIP) from the Bengals and seems to be a favorite of Ike Hilliard (WR coach). I have a feeling Harris is going to turn some heads this year. 

So Pryor seems to be the total package and is learning from arguably the best WR ever (Randy Moss).  I'm thinking with his basketball acumen (rebounding, catching the ball at it's highest point and boxing out), he's going to be fun to watch. And oh by the way, he played baseball. The ability to the track the ball in the air is not necessarily something many NFL WR innately have. Deshaun Jackson is the best at it - he played baseball; Dionne Sanders was legendary - played baseball. 

Anyway, the point is this.....we have adequate WR that, I believe will be a major impact to this team - both in the passing game and (more interestingly) the running game.   

Lets get it!!!!

The problem with Decker is he is damaging to us long term.  Right now we have Crowder and Pryor as our #1 and #2.  Doctson should be our #3.  We are still finding out what we have with him.  Signing Decker means Doctson becomes the #4 and we will likely have to wait yet ANOTHER year to find out what we really have with him.  Im all for signing guys like Zach Brown at a position where we dont have young up and coming players who will see their growth stunted. But signings that stunt your own players growth does you nothing except for cost you cap space you didnt need to use.

5 hours ago, Peregrine said:

But signings that stunt your own players growth does you nothing except for cost you cap space you didnt need to use.

It gets you wins. Thats what the reward is. If you expect Doctson to come in and post 7+ TD, then fine, but Decker gets in the endzone A LOT. Double digit TD totals in half his seasons before last year. That is extremely impressive. 

We have a bunch of guys on OYDs, expiring contracts and one very important one on a tag. This might be our best shot at a post season run for a while.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

It seems like we are eyeballing a potential replacement for Brian Quick.  I don't see Decker eating into Doctson's snaps. It is his job to lose. We simply need vet depth.  I had noted no Quick speak in pressers and its not a coincidence.

In my opinion, he was never going to be an option. Who cares about Quick, really. Same with the camp fodder ILB we signed.

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

In my opinion, he was never going to be an option. Who cares about Quick, really. Same with the camp fodder ILB we signed.

I thought as the longest tenured WR of the bunch, he was closer to a lock than a never had a chance. 

He had 41 catches last year and had shown improvement, vs. say a guy that had plateaued in his development. At worst I figured he was injury insurance presumed at X. And despite the lackluster OTAs so far, may still be that guy for game 1.

Without Quick who will be our backup X? I envisioned Doctson starting at Z (I may have positions backwards), but maybe he will be watching Crowder a lot to start the year, and will serve as Pryor's primary backup.

There are a lot of unknowns at the WR spot, despite our annual overall enthusiasm.

22 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Without Quick who will be our backup X? I envisioned Doctson starting at Z (I may have positions backwards), but maybe he will be watching Crowder a lot to start the year, and will serve as Pryor's primary backup.

The plan seems to be to have Pryor and Crowder start when we have only 2 WRs on the field. Pryor as the X (split end) and Crowder the Z (flanker). When we go 3 wide (which is most of the time) Crowder will come inside to the slot and Doctson will line up at Z. Behind them we will likely have Harris, Robert Davis and, yes, Ryan Grant! Top 3 are locks, training camp and preseason will shake out the 3 behind the starters.   

Archived